Do whites have a Chinaman's chance?

MacTheKnife

Gold Member
Jul 20, 2018
Do Whites Have a Chinaman’s Chance?

A recent New York Times story recounted the long and troubled racial history of America’s public swimming pools. The article was predictable: blacks attempting to use the pools, and whites resisting, often with force. This account reminded me of an old, currently unspeakable expression, “a Chinaman’s chance.” The origins of this term are murky, but most likely refer to a California law, the California Crimes and Punishment Act of 1850 that barred “all races other than the Caucasian,” (including blacks) from testifying in their own defense in a criminal case. This meant whites could physically attack a Chinese person (or black) almost without risk of punishment because only the attacker’s testimony counted. “A Chinaman’s chance” meant that in court he was defenseless against a white assailant.

Do Whites Have a Chinaman’s Chance? - American Renaissance

The United States of America FLOURISHED under white supremacy for decades upon decades.

The vestiges of which are immeasurable.

The United States of America FLOURISHED under white supremacy for decades upon decades.

With our current government we seem to be going backwards, into that former place of darkness.

I thought progress was about going forward but I guess we have to go backwards to be 'great' again?

Surly counter intuitive IMO.

With our current government we seem to be going backwards, into that former place of darkness.

I thought progress was about going forward but I guess we have to go backwards to be 'great' again?

In what ways are our "current govt" regressing us back to days like this?

In what ways are our "current govt" regressing us back to days like this?

I said, "With our current government we seem to be going backwards ........... "

That implies 'we the people' are IMO going backwards.

The current government is merely facilitating that.

There is a difference BUT if this is allowed to continue, for some time, then government will likely follow. I hope that doesn't occur but right now it isn't looking good.

A recent New York Times story recounted the long and troubled racial history of America’s public swimming pools. The article was predictable: blacks attempting to use the pools, and whites resisting, often with force. This account reminded me of an old, currently unspeakable expression, “a Chinaman’s chance.” The origins of this term are murky, but most likely refer to a California law, the California Crimes and Punishment Act of 1850 that barred “all races other than the Caucasian,” (including blacks) from testifying in their own defense in a criminal case. This meant whites could physically attack a Chinese person (or black) almost without risk of punishment because only the attacker’s testimony counted. “A Chinaman’s chance” meant that in court he was defenseless against a white assailant.
I have oftentimes tried and failed to explain that there are reasons that African Americans have higher crime statistics that have nothing to do with being more criminally inclined and at this point I just don't know if they know and don't care or if they're truly clueless about the effect laws like this have.

In any case thanks for posting this and proving that some of you are cognizant of the injustices that were written into our laws.

I have oftentimes tried and failed to explain that there are reasons that African Americans have higher crime statistics that have nothing to do with being more criminally inclined and at this point I just don't know if they know and don't care or if they're truly clueless about the effect laws like this have.

In any case thanks for posting this and proving that some of you are cognizant of the injustices that were written into our laws.
Most people are aware of our past.
Its just hard to jump on some fallacious bandwagon built on the premise that laws that havent existed in decades effects people today.
Like, how does institutional discrimination, that doesnt exist anymore, cause little 19 year old johnny to shoot up his neighbor for not rolling an 11?

Yours' is a most excellent post IMO. :clap2:

Its just hard to jump on some fallacious bandwagon built on the premise that laws that havent existed in decades effects people today.
Like, how does institutional discrimination, that doesnt exist anymore, cause little 19 year old johnny to shoot up his neighbor for not rolling an 11?
Just because racists are accustomed to having the force of law behind them doesn't mean that since this is no longer the case, that they won't continue to be racist. This has been explained to you numerous times, with current examples from the EEOC race discrimination files and other state agency case files. In a nutshell, laws do not prevent people from violating them they generally only outline the things which are prohbited and the punishment for the violation thereof.

As for 10 year old johnny in your example, what causes these white children who have NEVER experienced institutional racism to commit the crimes that they have, including murder?
13 Kids Whose Crimes Were So Brutal, They Were Tried As Adults

Just because racists are accustomed to having the force of law behind them doesn't mean that since this is no longer the case, that they won't continue to be racist. This has been explained to you numerous times, with current examples from the EEOC race discrimination files and other state agency case files. In a nutshell, laws do not prevent people from violating them they generally only outline the things which are prohbited and the punishment for the violation thereof.

As for 10 year old johnny in your example, what causes these white children who have NEVER experienced institutional racism to commit the crimes that they have, including murder?
13 Kids Whose Crimes Were So Brutal, They Were Tried As Adults
Yea, it has been explained to me.
"ok mariyam, show me institutional discrimination"
"ok here are cases about individuals being discriminatory"
:rolleyes:

Forum List

Back