Do We Need Our Guns at Work

rayboyusmc

Jan 2, 2008
Florida
The Florida house has passed their version of "Bring Your Guns To Work". Now it's up to the Senate to see what happens. Have to keep them locked in you car. By the time you run out to get it to shoot your boss, you should have calmed down or at least run out of breath.

Interesting fight within the Repub party pitting the gun advocates against big business advocates.

I say we pick a leader from each and let them shoot it out.

Do we need quick gun access at work?

Do we need quick gun access at work?

Why don't you ask these people?

Suspect in workplace shooting to be arraigned Wednesday

6 dead in shooting at Mississippi defense plant

Six dead in Kansas workplace shooting

4 Killed in California Workplace Shooting

Murder Charges In Workplace Shooting

Workplace Shootings In 2 States Leave 3 Dead

Eight dead in shooting rampage at workplace

Workplace Shooting at Calif. Postal Facility Leaves 7 Dead

CAMARILLO COMPANY BOSS DIES IN WORKPLACE SHOOTING

One dead in Michigan workplace shooting

Retired trooper killed in Ohio workplace shooting

August 27, 2003: Gunman on the verge of losing his job opened fire at an auto parts warehouse in Chicago, killing six people. The gunman was also shot dead.

July 8, 2003: Doug Williams, 48, allegedly gunned down 14 co-workers, killing six, at a Lockheed Martin aircraft parts plant in Meridian, Miss., before turning the gun on himself.

July 1, 2003: Jonathon Russell, 25, allegedly shot and killed three co-workers and wounded five others at the Modine Manufacturing Co. in Jefferson City, Mo., before killing himself.

Feb. 25, 2003: Emanuel Burl Patterson, 23, allegedly opened fire at Labor Ready Inc. - a temporary employment service in Huntsville, Ala., killing four fellow job-seekers and wounding a fifth. Patterson has been charged with murder.

Feb. 5, 2001: William D. Baker, 66, killed four people, then himself at a Navistar International engine plant in Melrose Park, Ill.

Dec. 26, 2000: Software tester Michael McDermott, 42, accused of killing seven people at a Wakefield, Mass., Internet consulting company, Edgewater Technology Inc. He was convicted and sentenced to life without parole.

March 20, 2000: Fired employee Robert Harris, 28, accused of shooting five people to death at a Dallas-area car wash. He was convicted and sentenced to death.

Dec. 30, 1999: Housekeeper Silvio Izquierdo-Leyva, 36, accused of fatally shooting five co-workers at Tampa, Fla.'s Radisson Bay Harbor hotel. He later pleaded guilty and was sentenced to life.

Nov. 2, 1999: Copier repairman Byran Uyesugi, 40, accused of shooting seven people to death at Xerox Corp. in Honolulu. He was convicted and sentenced to life.

July 29, 1999: Former day trader Mark Barton, 44, killed nine people at two Atlanta brokerage offices and later committed suicide.

March 6, 1998: Former Connecticut Lottery Corp. accountant Matthew Beck, 35, shot four lottery executives to death in Newington, Conn., then himself.

Dec. 18, 1997: Fired employee Arturo R. Torres, 43, killed four former co-workers at maintenance yard in Orange, Calif., and was killed by police.

Sept. 15, 1997: Fired assembly line worker Arthur H. Wise, 43, accused of opening fire at Aiken, S.C., parts plant, killing four. He was convicted and sentenced to death.

April 24, 1996: Firefighter Kenneth Tornes, 32, killed four superiors at Jackson, Miss., firehouse as well as his estranged wife. Tornes died on death row.

July 19, 1995: Los Angeles city electrician Willie Woods, 42, accused of shooting four supervisors to death at C. Erwin Piper Technical Center. He was convicted and sentenced to life.

April 3, 1995: James Simpson, 28, a former employee at a refinery inspection station in Corpus Christi, Texas, killed the owner of the company, his wife and three workers before shooting himself to death.

March 14, 1994: Tuan Nguyen, 29, recently fired from a Santa Fe Springs, Calif., electronics factory, killed three people and himself.

Dec. 2, 1993: Alan Winterbourne, 33, an unemployed computer engineer, opened fire in an unemployment office in Oxnard, Calif., killing three state workers and injuring four others. He later killed a police officer, and police then killed him.

July 1, 1993: Gian Luigi Ferri, 55, a mentally disturbed man with a grudge against lawyers, opened fire in a San Francisco law office, killing eight people and himself.

June 18, 1990: James E. Pough, 42, went on a shooting spree in a General Motors Acceptance Corp. office in Jacksonville, Fla., killing 10 people and wounding four others before killing himself. GMAC had repossessed his car.

Sept. 14, 1989: Joseph T. Wesbecker, 47, on disability for mental illness, killed eight people and wounded 12 others at a printing plant in Louisville, Ky., before killing himself.

Feb. 16, 1988: Richard W. Farley, 40, angry that a former co-worker at ESL Corp. in Sunnyvale, Calif., had rejected his advances, stormed into the company and killed seven people with a shotgun before surrendering. He was sentenced to death.

Aug. 20, 1986: Pat Sherrill, 44, a postal worker who authorities say was about to be fired, opened fire at a post office in Edmond, Okla., killing 14 people, then fatally wounding himself.

You get the idea. While I will not advocate packing heat in the office, I see nothing wrong with employees keeping a gun locked in their cars. I have, on more than one occasion, had a handgun locked in my car. Not for the hell of it and not for protection, but because I was going to the range straight from the office. It was stowed as required by California state law, unloaded and locked in a case. No fuss no muss.

better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

I don't see anything wrong with this. I wonder how many people do it already? probably alot

Ok, I'll rephrase. Wow, compared to NZ and Oz the US is a violent place...especially when it comes to the use of guns..:razz: :razz:

I'd prefer claymores on the front lawn, but unfortunately, the favorite weapon of choice for bad guys around here in recent years is the fully-auto AK-47; which, cannot be obtained legally in the US.

I wonder if the bad guys will turn in the weapons they break the law to buy to commit crimes if we outlaw gun ownership. I can see where while violating the law is fine and dandy with them that they will adhere to just that one.:eusa_eh:

I'd prefer claymores on the front lawn, but unfortunately, the favorite weapon of choice for bad guys around here in recent years is the fully-auto AK-47; which, cannot be obtained legally in the US.

I wonder if the bad guys will turn in the weapons they break the law to buy to commit crimes if we outlaw gun ownership. I can see where while violating the law is fine and dandy with them that they will adhere to just that one.:eusa_eh:

Not to mention anyone with a reasonable intelligence can MAKE a firearm. It may be crude but it will kill. Then there are knives, bats, crowbars, hammers, shovels, picks, etc etc etc.

I'd imagine that such a policy should be the decision of the business owners. If your office wants to allow bring your gun to work day after bring your dog or daughter to work day then so be it. Businesses should not be forced to allow guns onsite.

I'd imagine that such a policy should be the decision of the business owners. If your office wants to allow bring your gun to work day after bring your dog or daughter to work day then so be it. Businesses should not be forced to allow guns onsite.

I agree with this sentiment. But I see no reason why a person should not be allowed to have a gun in their car, as I have done an numerous occasions. Again, it was properly stowed in accordance with state laws and posed no threat.

I agree with this sentiment. But I see no reason why a person should not be allowed to have a gun in their car, as I have done an numerous occasions. Again, it was properly stowed in accordance with state laws and posed no threat.

if your car is on company gournds then you should not have a choice. If you park in the street or public location then so be it. My point is that a company should not be forced to comply with guns at work. If they want to make that choice then so be it. If not, then any future liability should not be blood on their hands.

I understand your point. And I agree with your stance about guns in the office. I can't imagine any company allowing guns in the office and I'm not sure I would want to work there if they did. I just can't quite wrap my mind around the parking lot aspect of your argument. While I understand the concept of the official parking area being company property, the idea that their policies could and/or should extend to what is inside my vehicle is somewhat disturbing. If what is in my car or truck while it is parked in the company lot, how far does it go? If I have stopped at a news stand on my way to work and picked up a copy of Penthouse or Playboy, maybe Hustler, can they then accuse me of sexual harassment? Even though I have never harassed anyone in the workplace? Perhaps I am a bigot and have copies of KKK publications, do they then have the right to force me into sensitivity training even though my beliefs have never manifested themselves in the workplace?

can you and your wife have sex in your car while it is parked at the local public park? Yes, your car is your property.. but the ground on which it is sitting is not. It's my understanding that hosptiols that ban smoking on their entire grounds, in fact, count their parking lots.

can you and your wife have sex in your car while it is parked at the local public park? Yes, your car is your property.. but the ground on which it is sitting is not. It's my understanding that hosptiols that ban smoking on their entire grounds, in fact, count their parking lots.

But, there are laws prohibiting sex in public areas, being in your car doesn't magically nullify these laws as we all know. There are no laws prohibiting the transport of firearms as long as they are properly stowed and I question why, simply because I am parked in the company lot, it could cost me my job? The truth is, this isn't much of an issue for me as I park on the street 99% of the time and I rarely have my gun in the truck. I just don't like the idea that my employer can infiltrate my private life to that degree.

As for hospitals, the ones in my area have only banned smoking indoors, just like everwhere else, and just like everywhere else, smokers are supposed to be twenty feet from the entrance to the building.

Forum List

Back