Zone1 Do threads die naturally

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can be as objectionable, harmful ,insensistive, or Inconvenient as you WANT in Zone3 (barring the few restrictions in the SiteWide rules. We ARE NOT PURITANS. No offense to our Puritan members. We are here to PROMOTE "topical discussion". That's our "value" as a social media. So we dont DO "content control", we do (and the rules are designed for) "topic control".

If the topic is approved as a clean start -- the discussion is DIFFERENT between Zone2 and Zone1 by LEVEL OF EFFORT AND FOCUS -- on the specific topic. NOT by disallowing opinions, assertions, other topical content such as memes, links, etc.

If anyone is here more than a couple months and DOESN'T KNOW what our "value" is and how we moderate DIFFERENTLY from most other social media -- there's really no excuse. Its ALL in the rules and posted policy discussions.
Wiki:
"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information. This may be done on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient". Censorship can be conducted by governments, private institutions and other controlling bodies."

There was an instrument of torture that was a ban alternative that SLOWED DOWN BANNED users rather then just cutting them off totally. But that just made them madder when their bans expired, and they came back in madder than when they went out. :dev3:

I seem to remember, a long, LONG time ago, and it might be now, on different forum software, we had either a super mod or administrator, that did not especially care for me.

Wiki:
"Censorship is the suppression of speech, public communication, or other information. This may be done on the basis that such material is considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or "inconvenient". Censorship can be conducted by governments, private institutions and other controlling bodies."

Long ago, the super mod. or administrator that put me on a governor, and deleted many of my posts, sometimes for political reasons, was this very intelligent, but highly political guy, I don't know much about him, his name, was called, something like, "The Doctor IS in."

Most times, he wasn't too bad, but he held some deep, deep internalized pain, and would get raging drunk on the weekend. I have always had the opinion since those days, that mods and administers should notify folks when they are acting as users, or staff. I know I am pretty much alone in that POV. But then, if the site doesn't make anyone like Toro or miketx a mod? I think we should be good. :auiqs.jpg:

When this Doc would get all liquored up in the evening, (he was Jewish,) not that I care, because a lot of my family and friends are, but he was a super Zionist, who held the belief that Gentiles, any one of color were, "less than," and he made no secret of it. He also believed that any non-Jewish women were just there to screw around with, use, and leave. A really loathsome sort of cad.

He would use a lot of Yiddish, or Hebrew, most of which, a lot of the regular membership, if they were not Jewish, did not know. This site tends to be very friendly toward our minority membership, which I have no problem with. However, when he would insult members, use misogynistic language toward non-Jewish women, but be respectful toward Jewish women, and then, in other contexts, continually use the world "goyim," while claiming it was just fine, when he could use the word, because it did not necessarily have to be derogatory. I reminded him that gentile would suffice.

It reminds me of how we have a lot of "crackers," on here that will use the word "negro," when we all know damn well that has derogatory, demeaning, and ill intent by its use, and not in the neutral context.

BUT, nothing I could do would modulate his behavior when he was drunk on the weekends. He had a major chip, and was filled with anger and hatred. I would complain, and report, he'd censor, and edit my shit, blocking my posts, and, yeah, I got bans and that slowed down governor crap. I fought, not so much just for me, but for many, on the left AND the right, who had to deal with him when he was drunk.

. . . till, one day, I had a very VERY wise mod or admin. tell me something I have never forgotten. I wish I could remember the mod now. It might have been Will. Or CK.

It is this. FIRST, all of this is for fun, if you take all of this THAT seriously? You are defeating the purpose of being here in the first place, because, you sure as hell aren't going to change the world or save anyone. And second, this is the community's sandbox, it is managed by the folks that put the mods and admin. here in the first place. All of us, and to a lesser extent, the owners. If you don't like it, after not taking the place too seriously, and you don't like the answers you are getting, go find somebody else's sandbox to play in. It really is, that simple.

The rules are pretty easy, and they a clearly spelled out. There really aren't many other places that have more free speech on the net than this. You can go look, I doubt you are going to find it. You should be happy you are a member here. The most free, most fair, most open place for speech on the net.

It is easier to try to find out why you are getting your posts deleted, and make a change, than it is to blame it on others.

I have had mine deleted, and I have never complained. It is always a case of, oops, I forgot what zone I am in.

Well, all i can say publicly is that theDoc, was of the "wild west" school of USMB. The YOUNGEST (i think) on staff. And those folks didn't exactly think there was anything of value here. So, it was all about the fun. But before Cereal_Killer took it upon himself as key Admin to GET involved in the design and editorial parts of USMB -- mod staff was a mess. The fights and feuds are legend and still recorded in the archives.

He brought "design" as a concept for the forums. Created spaces for different kinds of interests and discussion. Even had "chat rooms" under the old S/Ware and "special interest groups". Created the Clean Debate Zone and other member designed "Structured Debate". Once mod staff got a set of rules that stressed "topical content" -- the only places that LACKED "value" were the Taunting forums.

I know I WOULD not be here if we weren't trying to create value to the time that members spend here. Dont have time to keep current AND be here. TODAY -- mod staff is given WIDE discretion on 'design" and daily policy/operations. I cant remember the last time "ownership" took an interest in asking about those decisions. And there's other stuff in background that explains all that. But probably too long and not appropriate for this thread.

the only places that LACKED "value" were the Taunting forums.
6lwh6i.jpg

Lacked value? Those places have the greatest value of all. They teach the folks that are the most partisan, to have thicker skin, and not to take things so seriously.

They are also probably the most humorous and places you will go to get the most laughs, which science says, will help keep you living better.

If I ruled this place and were absolute dictator, I would require all members to spend two weeks there, or in the Lounge, getting to know membership, before they are even allowed in Zone 2 for heated discussions upstairs. :heehee:

I remember Coyote posted this;

That’s odd. We have an entire, finished basement zone complete with a well stocked bar, pool tables, and comfy furniture just for folks who feel constricted by the rules upstairs. Have you considered posting there?

It reminded me of a meme someone posted down there. . . in regards to EvMetro. As I have a very close friend in real life that is dealing with a similar issue, much like this poster seems to be. . . And it isn't very funny to the person dealing with those types of issues, but. . .

1656931722651-png.665885

It is something folks either need to seek professional help for or, understand, that they need to, well, lighten up.

The issue is NOT that EV believes he is being censored, it is that he believes he is being PERSONALLY targeted, for his beliefs, or the things he writes.
Trying to convince him this is not the case? Will be a futile endeavor. I am pretty sure of that. I have encountered this before, and I see it in others.

Something in his life has convinced him he is important, or a subversive, or that he has caught the eye of dark forces that wish to silence him. These are very real feelings that we should not make fun of, or minimize, but, it is impossible to convince folks, in the climate of our over surveilled society, which does now suppress people, and follow them, and scrutinize their every move. It becomes now very difficult to convince people, that they are NOT being targeted.

I say? Screw it. If you don't threaten violence, or aren't doing anything too bad, don't do anything to harm yourself or anyone else, but yeah, assume you are always being watched, by someone, somewhere.

BUT, you're probably not being watched or followed by folks that get paid nothing, to keep track of nobodies on here. . . they have real lives. And honestly don't give a crap about your political beliefs. . . . . As long as you aren't going to get the forum in trouble with the authorities.

6lwh6i.jpg

Lacked value? Those places have the greatest value of all. They teach the folks that are the most partisan, to have thicker skin, and not to take things so seriously.

They are also probably the most humorous and places you will go to get the most laughs, which science says, will help keep you living better.

If I ruled this place and were absolute dictator, I would require all members to spend two weeks there, or in the Lounge, getting to know membership, before they are even allowed in Zone 2 for heated discussions upstairs. :heehee:

It reminded me of a meme someone posted down there. . . in regards to EvMetro. As I have a very close friend in real life that is dealing with a similar issue, much like this poster seems to be. . . And it isn't very funny to the person dealing with those types of issues, but. . .

1656931722651-png.665885

It is something folks either need to seek professional help for or, understand, that they need to, well, lighten up.

The issue is NOT that EV believes he is being censored, it is that he believes he is being PERSONALLY targeted, for his beliefs, or the things he writes.
Trying to convince him this is not the case? Will be a futile endeavor. I am pretty sure of that. I have encountered this before, and I see it in others.

Something in his life has convinced him he is important, or a subversive, or that he has caught the eye of dark forces that wish to silence him. These are very real feelings that we should not make fun of, or minimize, but, it is impossible to convince folks, in the climate of our over surveilled society, which does now suppress people, and follow them, and scrutinize their every move. It becomes now very difficult to convince people, that they are NOT being targeted.

I say? Screw it. If you don't threaten violence, or aren't doing anything too bad, don't do anything to harm yourself or anyone else, but yeah, assume you are always being watched, by someone, somewhere.

BUT, you're probably not being watched or followed by folks that get paid nothing, to keep track of nobodies on here. . . they have real lives. And honestly don't give a crap about your political beliefs. . . . . As long as you aren't going to get the forum in trouble with the authorities.
I understand your perception of what is going on with me and censorship, considering how little you can actually see of what is really going on. That's kind of how censorship works.

I invited flacaltenn several times on the current admin thread about what is going on right now, to open it to the public, but it doesn't look like that will be happening.

6lwh6i.jpg

1656931722651-png.665885

I think you are reading far too much complexity into our friend EvMetro….we (the maudes) have had many lengthy exchanges with him. He’s a high quality troll who enjoys stirring the pot. He is very good too. And verbose :)

I think you are reading far too much complexity into our friend EvMetro….we (the maudes) have had many lengthy exchanges with him. He’s a high quality troll who enjoys stirring the pot. He is very good too. And verbose :)
Why do you call yourselves “Maudes” instead of mods? Maude was a fictional character on a TV show. Very bossy and controlling, as I recall.

I scanned through all that looking for one thing. I was looking for the answer to if mods have the capability to secretly suppress posts in a way that could cause a thread to die prematurely. I did not find a clear and direct answer.

It's interesting to read that the software was not made for censorship of ANY kind, yet I am witnessing a heavy censorship campaign on this site.
You could simply read the manual for xenforo and see what can be done.

Or sit n whine.

You could simply read the manual for xenforo and see what can be done.

Or sit n whine.
I am pleased to see you take the liberty to express your political resentment of me. That's one of the perks of being a lefty. You can freely insult your political opponents and derail threads.

Good point. Censorship typically happens from the cover of darkness and anonymity. Censors do not like to be identified.

View attachment 666996View attachment 666997
I wasn’t making a point at all.

If a person is murdered at the hands of a person, it may be a homicide or it may be a suicide.

If a thread is slaughtered at the hands of a person, it might be by another or by the original poster. The closest I came to making a point, here, is that sometimes we don’t know if a death is homicide or suicide.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum List

Back