Do Republicans see any need for scientists?

From their comments, it's questionable. They think scientists just get government money but don't really do anything of importance?
Scientists are great, except when they are psuedo scientists with a political agenda.

This is the problem... What happens when science says things against your political agenda?

Look at Climate Change, we have main politicians saying that nothing is changing? That is complete false, even the most hardened anti man made climate change admits that the climate is changing at higher rate than normal. Sorry but Trump is still complaining during any cold spell.
Simply put there is more scientists who believe the world is 6000 years than say than refuse Global Warming...

Anticreation_propaganda.gif

Liberals and democrats aren't real fans of science either when science tells us that a developing baby is fully human and can feel the pain as a pair of forceps rips his arms off. So the better way to phrase it is, political partisans don't like science when it conflicts with their political dogma.

Not nearly as many layoffs as they're claiming.

Why would there be any layoffs?
How many work for under $15/hr? Something like 40%? Not that many people make minimum wage ($7.25) and we can assume those would be the hardest hit. At first anyway.

How many work for under $15/hr? Something like 40%?

I don't know.

Not that many people make minimum wage ($7.25) and we can assume those would be the hardest hit.

People who are only worth $7.25 would be hurt if the minimum wage was raised to $15? Why?
Ah now I didn't say they were worth $7.25 or $15 either. I think only about 500,000 work at minimum wage and a whole lot more who work for less than that.

I see Trump is trying to tie immigration reform to gun control. I really wish he had tried that with the border wall and minimum wage since they're related.
I think only about 500,000 work at minimum wage

Would these workers currently earning $7.25 be harmed if the minimum wage was raised to $15? If so, why?
Oh yeah, I'm sure some of them would be laid off and some (inefficient) businesses would close. Or maybe hire illegals if they aren't already. But this isn't really about those who work the actual minimum of $7.25/hr anyway, it's about the 40% of Americans who work for less than $15/hr. $9 to $15 isn't double, it's about a 67% increase. $12 to $15 is 25%. So in reality, 'doubling the minimum wage' gives the vast majority a much smaller boost.

Oh yeah, I'm sure some of them would be laid off and some (inefficient) businesses would close.

And that's ok with you?

it's about the 40% of Americans who work for less than $15/hr. $9 to $15 isn't double, it's about a 67% increase.

How many of the $9/hr workers would be laid off? How many more businesses would close?

From their comments, it's questionable. They think scientists just get government money but don't really do anything of importance?
Scientists are great, except when they are psuedo scientists with a political agenda.

This is the problem... What happens when science says things against your political agenda?

Look at Climate Change, we have main politicians saying that nothing is changing? That is complete false, even the most hardened anti man made climate change admits that the climate is changing at higher rate than normal. Sorry but Trump is still complaining during any cold spell.
Simply put there is more scientists who believe the world is 6000 years than say than refuse Global Warming...

Anticreation_propaganda.gif
the climate is changing at higher rate than normal.

How fast does it normally change? Link?

Liberals and democrats aren't real fans of science either when science tells us that a developing baby is fully human and can feel the pain as a pair of forceps rips his arms off. So the better way to phrase it is, political partisans don't like science when it conflicts with their political dogma.

Let me explain a bit about science... You only become a baby after you are born.... Not born, not a baby....

No, Late-Term Abortions Don't 'Rip' Babies Out Of Wombs -- And They Exist For A Reason

Let me explain a bit about science... You only become a baby after you are born.... Not born, not a baby....

No, Late-Term Abortions Don't 'Rip' Babies Out Of Wombs -- And They Exist For A Reason

Before you're born, you're a chipmunk? Or a human?

That's a legal, not a scientific, statement. Biology states that a living human in the womb is just that, a living human. Don't set science aside when it conflicts with your politics.

Baby is just a word for a young human being....embryo, fetus. baby, child, toddler, adolescent, adult, old geezer....all are just words to describe human beings at different stages of their development...we are what we are from the time we come into being at conception till the end of our lives...human beings. Medical sceince has known this for a very long time..

Baby is just a word for a young human being....embryo, fetus. baby, child, toddler, adolescent, adult, old geezer....all are just words to describe human beings at different stages of their development...we are what we are from the time we come into being at conception till the end of our lives...human beings. Medical sceince has known this for a very long time..

Agreed... I was just pointing out the term they were using was inaccurate...

Democrat science:

Today is hot must fix.
Wind smells clean, use wind
Must build millions of wind mills
Hmmmm, all broke, little electricity
What do next
Science, build more,
Still no electricity
Science, uhg, build bigger
Build build build

DemoRATs forget they said building made yesterday hot

demoRATs science, bigger and more

Science says their only two genders ..youre either male female ......or hermaphrodite which is just a natural occurrence.....more science

Your AGW religion is a farce

That is complete false, even the most hardened anti man made climate change admits that the climate is changing at higher rate than normal.

This one I got to see.. Please give me the link to your science as there are dozens of papers showing that we are no where near the fast rates of change in just our recent Holocene. Below is the Greenland Ice Core graph and it shows many rates of change must faster than today.. The empirical evidence shows your BS to be just that Bull Shit.

greenlan ice core- interglacial.PNG

How many work for under $15/hr? Something like 40%? Not that many people make minimum wage ($7.25) and we can assume those would be the hardest hit. At first anyway.

I don't know.

Not that many people make minimum wage ($7.25) and we can assume those would be the hardest hit.

People who are only worth $7.25 would be hurt if the minimum wage was raised to $15? Why?
Ah now I didn't say they were worth $7.25 or $15 either. I think only about 500,000 work at minimum wage and a whole lot more who work for less than that.

I see Trump is trying to tie immigration reform to gun control. I really wish he had tried that with the border wall and minimum wage since they're related.

Would these workers currently earning $7.25 be harmed if the minimum wage was raised to $15? If so, why?
Oh yeah, I'm sure some of them would be laid off and some (inefficient) businesses would close. Or maybe hire illegals if they aren't already. But this isn't really about those who work the actual minimum of $7.25/hr anyway, it's about the 40% of Americans who work for less than $15/hr. $9 to $15 isn't double, it's about a 67% increase. $12 to $15 is 25%. So in reality, 'doubling the minimum wage' gives the vast majority a much smaller boost.

Oh yeah, I'm sure some of them would be laid off and some (inefficient) businesses would close.

And that's ok with you?

it's about the 40% of Americans who work for less than $15/hr. $9 to $15 isn't double, it's about a 67% increase.

How many of the $9/hr workers would be laid off? How many more businesses would close?
Not nearly as many as you believe. The economy will adjust. You think $15/hr will cause a crash? Massive unemployment?! LOL July 2019 unemployment rate 3.7%.
Republicans always want to say it would cause massive unemployment but it won't. Yes the unemployment rate will go up - temporarily. Some businesses will close - but look at all the businesses going under already. What do you blame that on?? Maybe you want to say fear of $15/hr is what's driving automation? I'm too old for that BS since I've heard that for decades now. Bezos would be switching to robots even with $5/hr and you know it.

I don't know.

And that's ok with you?

Not nearly as many as you believe. The economy will adjust. You think $15/hr will cause a crash? Massive unemployment?! LOL July 2019 unemployment rate 3.7%.
Republicans always want to say it would cause massive unemployment but it won't. Yes the unemployment rate will go up - temporarily. Some businesses will close - but look at all the businesses going under already. What do you blame that on?? Maybe you want to say fear of $15/hr is what's driving automation? I'm too old for that BS since I've heard that for decades now. Bezos would be switching to robots even with $5/hr and you know it.

Maybe you aren't aware of the fact that automation is within the reach of smaller businesses now. You raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, and in 5 years, the only people you will see in fast food restaurants are a couple of guys who maintain the automation... Already robotics are responsible for a fair amount of the cooking...it is a short step to simply eliminating the "smiling" face that takes your money and hands you your bag of junk food and the savings in salaries at $15 an hour would pay for the automation in short order. And if a robot put it together...my sandwich might actually look like the ones they photograph for advertisement..

Hell, in my home, the hardwood floors are cleaned twice a week by a mopping robot and and the wood floors and carpets are vacuumed every day by a robot...easy enough to put janitorial services out of work in the commercial sector by industrial versions of the same machines...

The people who may very well be put out of work by automation are not just statistics...they are people who have financial responsibilities...ask all the people who are no longer putting together products like cars, planes, etc., on assembly lines because their wages became so high that it simply was not economically feasible to employ them...

I don't know.

And that's ok with you?

Not nearly as many as you believe.

How many?

The economy will adjust.

Of course it will.
Any time the government does something monumentally stupid, the economy eventually adjusts.

You think $15/hr will cause a crash?

I think $15/hr will cause many workers who add less than $15/hr of value to lose their jobs.
I think $15/hr will cause many employers to go out of business.

Massive unemployment?!

Maybe.

Republicans always want to say it would cause massive unemployment but it won't.

But it will cause some unemployment. You don't know how much.

Some businesses will close - but look at all the businesses going under already.

If something bad happens, we should cause more bad to happen? That's just stupid.

And that's ok with you?

Maybe you aren't aware of the fact that automation is within the reach of smaller businesses now. You raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, and in 5 years, the only people you will see in fast food restaurants are a couple of guys who maintain the automation... Already robotics are responsible for a fair amount of the cooking...it is a short step to simply eliminating the "smiling" face that takes your money and hands you your bag of junk food and the savings in salaries at $15 an hour would pay for the automation in short order. And if a robot put it together...my sandwich might actually look like the ones they photograph for advertisement..

Hell, in my home, the hardwood floors are cleaned twice a week by a mopping robot and and the wood floors and carpets are vacuumed every day by a robot...easy enough to put janitorial services out of work in the commercial sector by industrial versions of the same machines...

The people who may very well be put out of work by automation are not just statistics...they are people who have financial responsibilities...ask all the people who are no longer putting together products like cars, planes, etc., on assembly lines because their wages became so high that it simply was not economically feasible to employ them...
You raise the minimum wage to $15 an hour, and in 5 years, the only people you will see in fast food restaurants are a couple of guys who maintain the automation...

My point is we're going to see that whether the minimum is $15 or $7.25. You know that.

in my home, the hardwood floors are cleaned twice a week by a mopping robot and and the wood floors and carpets are vacuumed every day by a robot

Did you fire the maid to save money? Or you didn't have one in the first place, right? But you turned to robots anyway just like Bezos is doing.

automation

... is happening anyway. Self service checkouts at the grocery stores and Walmart. Blaming high wages is bullshit and you know it. Again, companies would be turning to automated production or services would be doing so if the average pay was $5/hr.

And that's ok with you?

How many?

The economy will adjust.

Of course it will.
Any time the government does something monumentally stupid, the economy eventually adjusts.

I think $15/hr will cause many workers who add less than $15/hr of value to lose their jobs.

Massive unemployment?!

Maybe.

Republicans always want to say it would cause massive unemployment but it won't.

Some businesses will close - but look at all the businesses going under already.

If something bad happens, we should cause more bad to happen? That's just stupid.

How many?
I don't know but my impression is you expect massive layoffs and companies going under. Companies are already going under. Brick and mortar stores are having a lot of trouble staying open. Do you think we should shut down the internet? Was the rise of Amazon due to overpaid workers in those brick and mortar stores?

Your turn - how many?

Maybe
Maybe not

Neither do you

If something bad happens, we should cause more bad to happen? That's just stupid
LOL there are different causes for what is happening right now and what you fear will happen if we raise minimum wage. Automation and online shopping aren't going away and those have nothing to do with how much people are earning.

So what do you propose? Robots delivering your amazon orders means more people out of work no matter what. Jeff Bezos gets richer and richer. The poor get poorer no matter what. Are you okay with America's shrinking middle class? Are you okay with such a wide income disparity which will only grow? Ok with being an oligarchy, which will only get worse? Do you think that will have any effect on our democracy?

BTW who's going to pay down our $22 trillion national debt? Jeff Bezos? Any of our many, many billionaires? What about people on welfare? If you had even one kid to support, would you be more likely to work at a job that pays $7.25/hr or sit on welfare? What if that same job pays $15/hr?

And that's ok with you?

How many?

The economy will adjust.

Of course it will.

Massive unemployment?!

Maybe.

How many?
I don't know but my impression is you expect massive layoffs and companies going under. Companies are already going under. Brick and mortar stores are having a lot of trouble staying open. Do you think we should shut down the internet? Was the rise of Amazon due to overpaid workers in those brick and mortar stores?

Your turn - how many?

Maybe
Maybe not

Neither do you

If something bad happens, we should cause more bad to happen? That's just stupid
LOL there are different causes for what is happening right now and what you fear will happen if we raise minimum wage. Automation and online shopping aren't going away and those have nothing to do with how much people are earning.

So what do you propose? Robots delivering your amazon orders means more people out of work no matter what. Jeff Bezos gets richer and richer. The poor get poorer no matter what. Are you okay with America's shrinking middle class? Are you okay with such a wide income disparity which will only grow? Ok with being an oligarchy, which will only get worse? Do you think that will have any effect on our democracy?

BTW who's going to pay down our $22 trillion national debt? Jeff Bezos? Any of our many, many billionaires? What about people on welfare? If you had even one kid to support, would you be more likely to work at a job that pays $7.25/hr or sit on welfare? What if that same job pays $15/hr?

I don't know but my impression is you expect massive layoffs and companies going under.

How many Americans earn between $7.25 and $15?

Companies are already going under.

So why push a stupid idea that would make more go under? Sounds stupid.

Your turn - how many?

Too many.

Neither do you

I'm not the one pushing the stupid, damaging policy.
So what do you propose?

Not harming low skilled workers by pricing them out of the job market.
Are you okay with such a wide income disparity which will only grow?

Getting a bunch of poor people fired doesn't reduce income disparity.

Forum List

Back