Do It Like a Girl

I believe we unconsciously 'train' girls to be one way and boys to be another, as part of simply raising them and as acculturation

Once I went to a housewarming party. The homeowners were friends of my date, not people I had previously met. They had new babies, twins, one boy and one girl. As I was sitting in the living room, surrounded by people sitting and standing, I noticed something I will never forget. The mother sat on the sofa holding the little girl and not allowing her to get off her lap, though the child was trying to. At the same time, the boy baby was crawling all over the floor, in and out of peoples' feet, and she was not the least bit worried about that: she clearly saw the boy as less 'fragile' than the girl. This attitude and behavior will instill in the girl a different perspective on her personal strength and innitiative, taking chances, etc., than on the boy, who will learn from this that it is perfectly fine to take chances and that he is stronger and bolder.

As far as what has been noted above about women being more emotional: that is another thing we unconsciously teach boys and girls as part of acculturation: we tell boys not to cry and to act like a man, etc. Girls are allowed weeping and emotion because it is assumed that is part of being a girl.

As the father of 3 girls I found out that telling my daughters to stop doing something like a girl made them mad so I stopped doing it. I didn't realize that it was an actual put down to them because society looks at girls as the weaker sex. I worked with them and told them they should be proud of being girls and that girls are much stronger in some of the areas men are weak in. What can we do to empower our girls to embrace being girls and not masculine females?

The puberty ad by Always you'll want to show all kids - CNN.com

Hmm. Interesting. This thread is like deja vu. I'd swear I've read it somewhere before. Lol. :D

As the father of 3 girls I found out that telling my daughters to stop doing something like a girl made them mad so I stopped doing it. I didn't realize that it was an actual put down to them because society looks at girls as the weaker sex. I worked with them and told them they should be proud of being girls and that girls are much stronger in some of the areas men are weak in. What can we do to empower our girls to embrace being girls and not masculine females?

Hmm. Interesting. This thread is like deja vu. I'd swear I've read it somewhere before. Lol. :D
It's the same thread; someone has brought it back. When you post on a thread, down at the very bottom of the page, on the left, is a list of 'similar threads.' This is, I believe, causing people to bring back older threads. :)

I believe we unconsciously 'train' girls to be one way and boys to be another, as part of simply raising them and as acculturation

Once I went to a housewarming party. The homeowners were friends of my date, not people I had previously met. They had new babies, twins, one boy and one girl. As I was sitting in the living room, surrounded by people sitting and standing, I noticed something I will never forget. The mother sat on the sofa holding the little girl and not allowing her to get off her lap, though the child was trying to. At the same time, the boy baby was crawling all over the floor, in and out of peoples' feet, and she was not the least bit worried about that: she clearly saw the boy as less 'fragile' than the girl. This attitude and behavior will instill in the girl a different perspective on her personal strength and innitiative, taking chances, etc., than on the boy, who will learn from this that it is perfectly fine to take chances and that he is stronger and bolder.

As far as what has been noted above about women being more emotional: that is another thing we unconsciously teach boys and girls as part of acculturation: we tell boys not to cry and to act like a man, etc. Girls are allowed weeping and emotion because it is assumed that is part of being a girl.

So what's the deal with adult women going through menopause? There have to be legions of women who think like you, so why don't they just will themselves to feel no emotional effects during menopause?

This behavioralist nonsense lives on like a vampire. What does it take to kill it?

We have uber-committed lefties doing all they can to raise their children in gender-neutral fashion and they see this:

used as an example one of his daughters, who as a child was given two trucks in an effort at gender-neutral parenting. Yet she treated them almost like dolls, naming one of them ''daddy truck," and one ''baby truck."​

If you believe that the gender-neutral parents just weren't committed enough, how to explain this:

It's almost Christmas, and, as the song goes, Barney and Ben hope for Hopalong boots and a pistol that shoots, while Janice and Jen would like dolls that will talk and go for a walk.

Now new research suggests that such gender-driven desires are also seen in young female chimpanzees in the wild—a behavior that possibly evolved to make the animals better mothers, experts say.

Young females
of the Kanyawara chimpanzee community in Kibale National Park, Uganda, use sticks as rudimentary dolls and care for them like the group's mother chimps tend to their real offspring. The behavior, which was very rarely observed in males, has been witnessed more than a hundred times over 14 years of study. . . .

The research represents the first time wild animals of different sexes have been observed playing differently with objects, a practice well known among human children and previously observed in captive vervet and rhesus monkeys, Wrangham said.

For instance, young female monkeys in captivity have been known to favor dolls as playthings, while their male counterparts prefer "boy" toys like trucks.

"The fact that captive monkey males and females prefer typically masculine and feminine human toys, respectively, suggests that there is something biologically different about the sexes that makes them gravitate to different types of toys,"​

And if that's not relevant because it focuses on toys rather than behavior, then why don't we look at an actual experiment where a boy was raised as a girl:

David Peter Reimer (August 22, 1965 – May 5, 2004) was a Canadian man who was born biologically male. However, he was sexually reassigned and raised as female after his penis was accidentally destroyed during circumcision.[1] Psychologist John Money oversaw the case and reported the reassignment as successful and as evidence that gender identity is primarily learned. Academic sexologist Milton Diamond later reported that Reimer failed to identify as female since the age of 9 to 11,[2] making the transition to living as a male at age 15. Reimer later went public with his story to discourage similar medical practices. He later committed suicide, owing to suffering years of severe depression, financial instability, and a troubled marriage​

It's the same thread; someone has brought it back. When you post on a thread, down at the very bottom of the page, on the left, is a list of 'similar threads.' This is, I believe, causing people to bring back older threads. :)

I think I've seen this thread on another forum before. :D The same exact thing too. Same words and everything. Lol!

Ah, the royal "We," by which "progressives" mean "You," since they are incapable of the evil motives they ascribe to others.

Ah, the royal "We," by which "progressives" mean "You," since they are incapable of the evil motives they ascribe to others.
What an idiotic comment. No, I mean 'we,' everyone. It has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with politics. What a horrible little world you must live in where everything is black and white, conservative and liberal. How pathetic that you see the world in such limited terms.

Maybe it would help you if you looked up the term acculturation. Maybe that would help you understand what I was saying.

:clap2: Astute, right on the mo'ne. :rofl:

Btw baseball fans --- before there was Mo'ne, there was, and still is, Chelsea Baker....

>> Baker, who rose to prominence upon throwing a pair of perfect games in Little League four years ago, is now a junior right-handed pitcher starting for the Cougars in Florida's competitive Class 7A. Needless to say, she's the only girl on Durant's 10-3 baseball team. But that's not the only reason she stands out.

The 5-foot-2, 120-pound Baker throws mostly knuckleballs, a pitch she learned from two of the best to ever throw it. First, 1979 Major League Baseball All-Star Joe Niekro taught her as a youth and later 2009 MLB All-Star Tim Wakefield helped her perfect it, according to the Plant City Times & Observer.

“When I was little, all my dreams were to be on the USA team and high school baseball, and people always told me, ‘You’ll never play varsity baseball, you’re not strong enough, you don’t have the guts to do it,’" she told The Tampa Tribune upon recording the first win of her high school career, "so coming out here today and taking the win was an awesome feeling. It was like, "I got you.'"

In 2010, Baker appeared on ESPN's "E:60", the MLB Network's "This Week in Baseball" and ABC's "Good Morning America" during her fourth consecutive perfect youth baseball season. Four years later, she still hasn't lost. <<

Last edited:

This thread was current before the big Presto Change-o. But point well taken; I can see "similar threads" from three and four years ago sitting right under this writing box. That's going to be a problem. I keep telling 'em they're gonna have to put some kind of time filter on there or else they'll have to deal with a lot of old resurrected threads.

I think I've seen this thread on another forum before. :D The same exact thing too. Same words and everything. Lol!
All you have to do is take a snippet of the my post, place quotation marks around it, and put it in google. Then link to where you see the exact same post. My guess is you will never be able to do that in a million years with a date prior to the one I posted for two great reasons. You evidently were not smart enough to do that in the first place and it doesnt exist anywhere else. If you need help learning how to do this let me know.

All you have to do is take a snippet of the my post, place quotation marks around it, and put it in google. Then link to where you see the exact same post. My guess is you will never be able to do that in a million years with a date prior to the one I posted for two great reasons. You evidently were not smart enough to do that in the first place and it doesnt exist anywhere else. If you need help learning how to do this let me know.

Oh no, too many results would come up on a google search, but I'm quite sure I have read this exact same article with the man who posted it also claiming to have 3 girls, etc., on another forum. Same article too. :D I am quite sure of it. Perhaps you posted the same thing on another forum? Maybe it's just coincidence. Strange anyway.

Oh no, too many results would come up on a google search, but I'm quite sure I have read this exact same article with the man who posted it also claiming to have 3 girls, etc., on another forum. Same article too. :D I am quite sure of it. Perhaps you posted the same thing on another forum? Maybe it's just coincidence. Strange anyway.

Are you saying a google search would break your computer or something? The reason I ask is because all you have to do is find one that matches exactly one of my sentences.

When I said "exact" words that was a figure of speech. Like I said, it was a guy on another forum with the same story about having 3 daughters and posted the same link. Do you think I'm making it up or something? Why on earth would I lie? Lol! I've seen this same posting on another site.

Are you a member of another forum perhaps? Is it possible that you posted this same article on another forum?

When I said "exact" words that was a figure of speech. Like I said, it was a guy on another forum with the same story about having 3 daughters and posted the same link. Do you think I'm making it up or something? Why on earth would I lie? Lol! I've seen this same posting on another site.

Are you a member of another forum perhaps? Is it possible that you posted this same article on another forum?

Well you didnt mention it was a figure of speech. You left it out there for people to assume incorrectly I copied the post. I have never posted this on another board. The only other board I post on is a NBA one.

Well you didnt mention it was a figure of speech. You left it out there for people to assume incorrectly I copied the post. I have never posted this on another board. The only other board I post on is a NBA one.

Oh, I apologize. That is not what I was insinuating at all. I just thought that it was weird to see the same article and a very similar OP and was wondering if you were a member of another board where I was once a member.

It must be a coincidence then.

Forum List

Back