Do Federal/State/Local Governments Create Jobs?

Do Federal/State/Local Governments Create Jobs?

• Total voters
Can anyone name any nonprofit companies/contractors that would like to take over USPS? Medicare? SS? Defense?

Last edited:
More apt is :"There is something wrong with this house!" And Joe Blow and Vinny Bagodonuts and Sylvia Corneas come up with solutions to repair all the houses.
Uh, private folks have to compete. You just described what's wrong with government.
You don't think that here's competition between engineering firms, abatement contractors, PPE manufacturers?
Yes, and it's a good thing. That's exactly why I would like to see as much public sector go to the private sector.

packages are considered mail too.....
thats not the reason why.....where the hell do you get this shit?....

Yes, that is the reason. Every time a bill comes up to legalize 1st class mail delivery the Postal Union goes into overdrive to shoot it down.
we did this dance before Bri.....what would you expect a Union to do?....be for it?.....i would not be a member if they just rolled over and did not fight for that....BUT that is not why the Private Express Statutes were enacted back in the 1700's....there was no Union at that time...their reason made sense then and it still holds water today...........

That was 300 years ago. However, the rationalizations were just as bogus then as they are now. It never held water.
more like 240 years ago....and of course you know this because of the many years you spent in the delivery of mail.....you dont know shit....that reason is very sound today as it was then.....and if any private company took over the delivery of 1 st class they would be working under those statutes for the same reasons...integrity of the mail.....

What reason is that? You seem afraid to post it.
you cant read either?.....what is the last thing i said in that post?.....you probably think that is bullshit too.....but then i am beginning to see that you are pretty clueless about Mail delivery and what it takes for a Company to do it.....or you just like to argue.....

Our roads should be maintained by our tax dollars
Eventhough, I believe public education should be reformed with a top 5 educational system. I believe every child should have a chance at it.
Anything to do with the general interest of society shouldn't be put up to a private hand. Money isn't everything.

In theory government has no money, unless they tax. They create currency, but the value of the currency is the production of the American worker and what people attach to that. This is why government merely redistributes money, and it does so at a loss in value due to the labor it requires to redistribute.

What about utility companies? They provide services and charge for the services . Their operations do not necesarily reflect a redistribution of money nor a loss of value
Category Public utilities of the United States - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Memphis Light Gas and Water - Wikipedia the free encyclopedia

Can anyone name any nonprofit companies/contractors that would like to take over USPS? Medicare? SS? Defense?

There are nonprofit hospitals. It would be hard , but they could perform the services of Medicare . In Japan all hospitals must be non/profit by law.

Defense and USPS . No , I don't think so.

I didn't think you would ever believe a Republican.

I'm amused that when the GOP is cashing their checks, Corporations are people. When it's not a convenient argument on another topic...you guys disavow what your party's nominee believes.

Have you ever seen a corporation sitting on a toilet or catching the flu? Debate over ... you lose.

I was just quoting the most prominent republican in the nation...YOUR party's nominee for President last time out.

Was he lying?

I'm Independent ... not Republican. They're a bit too liberal for my blood but not nearly as bad as the Dumbocrat Party.

Ahh, well, I was quoting the Republican...was he lying? Did you vote for him?

No ... I wrote in Ron Paul.

Private firms do deliver mail. What part of private "mail" carriers being common place is confusing you"? You've never heard of fed-ex? You added the term first class to mail, not me. Mail is a generic term.

They deliver packages. They don't deliver 1st class mail, which is the kind you get in your mailbox. They are not even allowed to put anything in your mail box.
I never said first class mail. Again you are making that up. I said mail. Mail is a generic term.
The private guys can't put stuff in your USPTO owned mail box, unless they are being contracted by the USPTO. But they can put stuff in a privately owned mail box at your home or place of business that is designated for non-first class mail shit. The reason for the first class mail rule is they don't want the private guys taking your paychecks or outgoing payments. That said the USPTO subs out to private firms and independent contractors for some deliveries and vice versa. Many incoming and outgoing items don't even hit a mail box of any kind.

I thought you didn't want to have a discussion on this.

Wrong. The reason for it is because Postal workers don't want to compete with private firm who can do the same job for a lot less.
Well there is that too. No different than the GM workers wanting someone to bail out their pensions. If the private company has the government in their back pocket they can get the USPTO to back off. That private company just needs to start a union or some other type of thing that the left wants to support.

Perhaps we could just abolish the Postal monopoly and make everything a lot simpler.
Nah, not yet. We still need a postal service.

Seems to me that a lot of people love medicare. Do you really want to make them angry????
I don't give a flip if they get angry or not.

Issues Facing America Medicare
Conclusion
Taxpayers face a serious financial problem because the Medicare program is projected to consume more than half of federal income taxes by 2042. Taxpayers can also expect the real costs of the drug entitlement to be much greater than initial published estimates. If these entitlements are expanded, Medicare’s already difficult financial problems would worsen.

Seems to me that a lot of people love medicare. Do you really want to make them angry????
I don't give a flip if they get angry or not.

Issues Facing America Medicare
Conclusion
Taxpayers face a serious financial problem because the Medicare program is projected to consume more than half of federal income taxes by 2042. Taxpayers can also expect the real costs of the drug entitlement to be much greater than initial published estimates. If these entitlements are expanded, Medicare’s already difficult financial problems would worsen.

Medicare is not free to most recipients. Google it...

There are plenty of companies that would be happy to get into the mail delivery business. The USPS brings in $70 billion in revenue every year. Only a fool would believe no one wants a piece of that.

They deliver packages. They don't deliver 1st class mail, which is the kind you get in your mailbox. They are not even allowed to put anything in your mail box.
I never said first class mail. Again you are making that up. I said mail. Mail is a generic term.
The private guys can't put stuff in your USPTO owned mail box, unless they are being contracted by the USPTO. But they can put stuff in a privately owned mail box at your home or place of business that is designated for non-first class mail shit. The reason for the first class mail rule is they don't want the private guys taking your paychecks or outgoing payments. That said the USPTO subs out to private firms and independent contractors for some deliveries and vice versa. Many incoming and outgoing items don't even hit a mail box of any kind.

Wrong. The reason for it is because Postal workers don't want to compete with private firm who can do the same job for a lot less.
Well there is that too. No different than the GM workers wanting someone to bail out their pensions. If the private company has the government in their back pocket they can get the USPTO to back off. That private company just needs to start a union or some other type of thing that the left wants to support.

Perhaps we could just abolish the Postal monopoly and make everything a lot simpler.

We don't need a government run postal service.

We don't need a government run postal service.
Maybe you don't, but us adults actually use the postal service.

There are plenty of companies that would be happy to get into the mail delivery business. The USPS brings in $70 billion in revenue every year. Only a fool would believe no one wants a piece of that.

So, are you saying USPS is profitable?

Are you retarded? Seriously?

They may charge more, or they may not. It depends on whether the difference in revenue will cover the cost of segregating mail based on the distance it travels.

Even if they do, so what? Why should a letter cost the same no matter where it's delivered?
what!.....you are here arguing about the PO and you have no idea why a Universal PO was developed by Franklin and company?.....there is reason for that Bri...they have been doing this for 200 plus years?....

The rationalizations they came up with aren't important. Whatever they are, they are bogus. There is no justification for having government provide a service that the private sector can easily provide.

Sure there is

If the government can do a task better and at a lower cost to the taxpayer, We the People benefit

There is no reason the taxpayers should have to provide profits to the private sector

ROFL! When has government done anything at lower cost than the private sector?

And government getting out of the way is not "providing profits to the private sector." Commerce isn't an activity that government allows individuals to participate in, at least not in a free country.

Happens all the time

Wrong.

Lets look at the example of Garbage Collection. Some municipalities do it themselves, others contract it out

Option A: Town buys a couple of trucks and hires crews to man them
Option B: Town elects for private companies to do garbage collection

You left out the third option: Each customer contracts with whatever waste disposal company they like.

The town has the advantage of not having to pay taxes on their buildings, vehicles or facilities. They are also operating on a non-profit basis.
The private company is primarily looking to make a profit off the taxpayer. They must pay taxes on facilities, vehicles and profit

Why should the taxpayer feel obligated to provide a profit making enterprise to the private sector?

The taxpayers don't "provide" diddly squat. In fact, as you pointed out, the waste disposal company has to pay a lot of taxes to the city, the county and the state just to stay in business. The idea that industries are something the government doles out to its chosen toadies at its discretion is the essence of crony capitalism.

Forum List

Back