freeandfun1

VIP Member
Feb 14, 2004
:laugh:

Do Commandos Go Commando?
Soldiers and their skivvies.
By Daniel Engber
Updated Monday, Jan. 10, 2005, at 3:36 PM PT

According to a recent report in Newsweek, the Pentagon may send special forces teams to the Middle East to train, advise, and support handpicked Iraqi soldiers in counterinsurgency techniques. If the United States pursues this plan, our commandos will presumably advise the Iraqis about the finer points of stealth warfare—including what to wear. Which raises one question: Do our commandos really go commando?

Many commandos do forgo underpants when they suit up in the field, but the practice is by no means limited to the special forces. With limited rucksack space and infrequent opportunities to wash up or change clothes, American troops sometimes decide that clean underwear is more trouble than it's worth. In addition, going without can increase ventilation and reduce moisture in a soldier's battle dress uniform, which in turn can minimize his chances of getting a rash or crotch rot, a fungal infection of the groin. (Whether or not they wear underpants, many soldiers use Gold Bond Medicated Powder to prevent these ailments.)

There's no ban on underwear from Central Command, of course, but a number of advisories on military safety do offer tips that could be construed to support the practice. Web sites for the armed forces' safety programs warn that tight-fitting uniforms reduce cooling air flow around the body, and the Manual of Naval Preventive Medicine suggests that heat injury can be avoided by wearing the "least allowable amount of clothing." In addition, pilots and armored vehicle personnel are told during training never to wear underpants made from synthetic fibers. The U.S. Army Safety Center explains that the flame-retardant Nomex suits these combatants use can still transmit enough heat to melt any briefs that aren't 100 percent cotton.

I can't speak for todays troops or the special forces. But I got rid of my underwear two weeks after arriving in Vietnam. Because it wasn't pratical to wear. It bunched up and collected sweat. You can't carry extra clean ones with you cause that just adds to the weight and takes up space in your pack. In the field we would get a clean set of fatigues about once a week, sometimes longer. Underwear was just an unneeded nicity and in extremely hot climates it just makes you more uncomfortable. An extra pair of socks was more valuable and useful that underwear.

gaffer said:
I can't speak for todays troops or the special forces. But I got rid of my underwear two weeks after arriving in Vietnam. Because it wasn't practical to wear. It bunched up and collected sweat. You can't carry extra clean ones with you cause that just adds to the weight and takes up space in your pack. In the field we would get a clean set of fatigues about once a week, sometimes longer. Underwear was just an unneeded nicety and in extremely hot climates it just makes you more uncomfortable. An extra pair of socks was more valuable and useful that underwear.

Same here when I was in Gulf War I, we arrived as part of a rapid deployment contingency in late August of 1990 and went straight out into the desert. Not only did underwear get stale and crusty after a few days of wear'n em, but when you did get a chance to hand wash your clothes, washing skivvies was just extra, unneeded toil!

You know how they have nosehair trimmers these days. Someone should market them to Muslims as asshair trimmers!:moon4:

gaffer said:
I can't speak for todays troops or the special forces. But I got rid of my underwear two weeks after arriving in Vietnam. Because it wasn't pratical to wear. It bunched up and collected sweat. You can't carry extra clean ones with you cause that just adds to the weight and takes up space in your pack. In the field we would get a clean set of fatigues about once a week, sometimes longer. Underwear was just an unneeded nicity and in extremely hot climates it just makes you more uncomfortable. An extra pair of socks was more valuable and useful that underwear.

I wore a t-shirt most of the time over there....more bandage material if needed. In my case it was...a few times...

Didn't wear the underpants....not worth the effort

Forum List

Back