new years resolution on terrorism

manu1959

Left Coast Isolationist
Oct 28, 2004
california
---------------------------------
This piece (most of which I agree with)was sent along by a friend and is attributed to General Richard Hawley(USAF Ret.) It was not written by him, but is actually a column by humorist Larry Miller which appeared in The Daily Standard on 14 January 2002; the version circulating on the Internet omits the openingand closing paragraphs - I will include them in this version:

---------------------------------

People have been making New Year's resolutions for a long time.Usually they're personal and last no longer than a smoke ring or one ofTom Daschle's smiles. You know the drill: "I'm going to cut down on mydrinking, lose a few pounds, and read more books."

Of course, byJanuary 3rd, you get drunk, order a pizza, and buy a satellite dish.
This year, though, my resolutions won't be personal, and they won'tlook forward. They'll look back. Four months back. As you know, sinceSeptember 11, our leaders and soldiers have done a fine job, frequentlya brilliant job. (I mean, please, how about that Rumsfeld? If he were awoman, I'd#8212;Wait. Come to think of it, I'd still do nothing.) I don'teven care that so many of our fellow Americans have been contrary andmealy-mouthed. What makes me want to scream like an actress and throwthings is this: Since the attack, I have seen, heard, and read thoughtsof such surpassing stupidity that they must be addressed.
You've heardthem too. Here they are:
(1) "We'renot good, they're not evil, everything is relative."
Listen carefully: We're good, they'reevil, nothing is relative. Say it with
me now and free yourselves. You see,folks, saying "We're good" doesn't mean, we're perfect. Okay? The onlyperfect being is the bearded guy on the
ceiling of the Sistine Chapel. Theplain fact is that our country has, with all our mistakes and blunders,always been and always will be the greatest beacon of freedom, charity,opportunity, and affection in history. If you need proof, open all theborders on Earth and see what happens.

(2) "Violence only leads tomore violence."
This one is so stupid you usuallyhave to be the president of an Ivy League
university to say it. Here's thetruth, which you know in your heads and hearts
already: Ineffective, unfocusedviolence leads to more violence. Limp,
panicky, half measures lead to moreviolence.
However, complete, fully thought through, professional, wellexecuted violence never leads to more violence because, you see,afterwards, the other guys are all dead. That's right, dead. Not "ontrial,"
not "reeducated," not "nurtured back into the bosom of love."Dead.

(3) "The CIA and the rest ofour intelligence community have failed us."

For 25 years we have chained ourspies like dogs to a stake in the ground,
and now that the house has beenrobbed, we yell at them for not protecting us.

Starting in the late seventies, underCarter appointee Stansfield Turner, the
giant brains who get these giantideas decided that the best way to gather
international intelligence was to usespy satellites.
"After all, [they reasoned),
you can see a license plate from 200miles away."
This is very helpful if
you've been attacked by a licenseplate.
Unfortunately, we were attacked by
humans. Finding humans is notpossible with satellites. You have to use other
humans. When we bought all oursatellites, we fired all our humans, and here's the really stupid part.It takes years, decades to infiltrate new humans into the

worst places of the world. You can'tjust have a guy who looks like Gary Busey in a Spring Break '93sweatshirt plop himself down in a coffee shop in Kabul and say "Hi ya,boys. Gee, I sure would like to meet that bin Laden fella." Well, youcan, but all you'd be doing is giving the bad guys a story they'll betelling for years."

(4) "These people are poorand helpless, and that's why they're angry at us."
Uh-huh, and Jeffrey Dahmer's frozenhead collection was just a desperate cry
for help. The terrorists and theirbackers are richer than Elton John and,
ironically, a good deal lessannoying. The poor helpless people, you see, are the villagers theytortured and murdered to stay in power. Mohammed Atta, one of the evilscumbags who steered those planes into the killing grounds is the sonof a Cairo surgeon.
But you knew this, too. In the sixties andseventies, all the pinheads marching against the war wereupper-middle-class college kids who grabbed any cause they could thinkof to get out of their final papers and spend more time drinking. It'sthe same today."

(5) "Any profiling is racialprofiling."
Who's killing us here, theNorwegians? Just days after the attack, the New
York Times had an article sayingdozens of extended members of the gazillionaire bin Laden family livingin America were afraid of reprisals and left in a huff, never to returnto studying at Harvard and using too much Drakkar. I'm crushed. Pleasecome back. Let's all stop singing "We Are the World" for a minute andthink practically. I don't want to be sitting on the floor in the backof a plane four seconds away from hitting Mt.Rushmore and turn,grinning, to the guy next to me to say, "Well, at least we didn'toffend them."

*SO HERE'S what I resolve forthe New Year:
Never to forget our murdered brothersand sisters.
Never to let the
relativists get away with theirimmoral thinking.
After all, no matter what your
daughter's political scienceprofessor says, we didn't start this.
Have you seen that bumper stickerthat says, "No More Hiroshima's?" I wish I had one that says, "No MorePearl Harbors."

I resolve to be more vigilant and watchful. A good warning signthat these mutts were nuts was when they started dressing their womenin heavy-duty, baby-blue bubblewrap. Any man who doesn't want to glanceat a woman is, by definition, already very easy to talk into killinghimself. Then again, to be fair, we haven't seen their women.

To scream, "Keep going!" when everyone else says, "Stop."

I'll just cut down on my drinking next year. Hell, I really wasn'tplanning to, anyway.

I hope you are young, because you have alot to learn. I can understand your desire to be patriotic and spout out rhetoric to prove it. You must understand that over time your (our) actions do have consequences and not always the ones that were anticipated. I think you should resolve to think things thru and be open to alternative remedies. Might may be right, but undrstanding the timing is what it is all about. This occupation was initiated for a certain purpose and the masses bought into a whole lot of bs that they were fed about fear (wmd), duty (freeing iraq), and patriotism (blindly following the guys in power). The whole religious right has been a scapegoat for what is really going on, believing that this adminisstration has THEIR interests at heart. Get real, it is the rich and welathy, the 50 billionaires for Bush, that are being served. Spit out the bs and take a good dose of reality.

sagegirl said:
I hope you are young, because you have alot to learn. I can understand your desire to be patriotic and spout out rhetoric to prove it. You must understand that over time your (our) actions do have consequences and not always the ones that were anticipated. I think you should resolve to think things thru and be open to alternative remedies. Might may be right, but undrstanding the timing is what it is all about. This occupation was initiated for a certain purpose and the masses bought into a whole lot of bs that they were fed about fear (wmd), duty (freeing iraq), and patriotism (blindly following the guys in power). The whole religious right has been a scapegoat for what is really going on, believing that this adminisstration has THEIR interests at heart. Get real, it is the rich and welathy, the 50 billionaires for Bush, that are being served. Spit out the bs and take a good dose of reality.

Sage, I now am fully convinced you are an idiot.

Did you read the opening? He didn't write this.

Also, you are making a lot of accusations and assumptions YOU obviously know NOTHING about.

Explain to me what is wrong with the guy's resolution sageidiot? What is wrong with:

Never forgetting our murdered brothers and sisters.
Never to letting the relativists get away with their immoral thinking.
Being more vigilant and watchful.

How does that apply to anything you said in your idiotic and uninformed diatribe?

freeandfun1 said:
Sage, I now am fully convinced you are an idiot.

Did you read the opening? He didn't write this.

Also, you are making a lot of accusations and assumptions YOU obviously know NOTHING about.

His intro stated he "agreed with it".

sagegirl said:
His intro stated he "agreed with it".

again, what is wrong with agreeing with the resolutions posted?

By your position, I must surmise that you:

Have forgetten our murdered brothers and sisters.
Are letting relativists get away with their immoral thinking.
Are not being more vigilant and watchful.

Sad.

freeandfun1 said:
Explain to me what is wrong with the guy's resolution sageidiot? What is wrong with:

Never forgetting our murdered brothers and sisters.
Never to letting the relativists get away with their immoral thinking.
Being more vigilant and watchful.

How does that apply to anything you said in your idiotic and uninformed diatribe?

I dont dwell on the dead and damaged, but I do consider their fate. A life lost is a LIFE LOST. All opportunity null and void. I dont forget the dead, I look for alternatives in the future to prevent murder and destruction.

HUM..... resolving to "never letting the relativists get away with their immoral thinking", sounds just to judgemental and narrow minded, if its a cause at all.

ALWAYS be vigilant. KNOW your enenmy.

sagegirl said:
Spit out the bs and take a good dose of reality.

Good advice. You may want to consider it yourself.

The reality is that there are a great many people out there who want you dead.

The reality is that they do not respond to kindness, logic or pleas for peace. Take a look at the ingrates in Indonesia who bad-mouth and threaten us even as we provide billions in aid to help them dig their way out of the tsunami disaster.

The reality is that it's us or them. That is not a choice we seek, it is a choice which has been forced upon us. And if it is to be us, then we need to kill a sufficient number of "them" to convince the rest to leave us the hell alone.

sagegirl said:
You must understand that over time your (our) actions do have consequences and not always the ones that were anticipated.
Yet it's you wacky leftists who insist your policies must be judged by their noble intentions and not their actual effects on society.
I think you should resolve to think things thru and be open to alternative remedies.
You libs are the closedminded ones. You'd rather believe against all evidence that the election was stolen than accept that AMerica has rejected the leftist agenda.
Might may be right, but undrstanding the timing is what it is all about.
Basic good and evil do not change with the shifting sands of time.
This occupation was initiated for a certain purpose
YEs. To depose a cruel tyrant who had sworn to pursue the destruction of america and was seeking nuclear arms, and had ties to global terrorist organizations.
and the masses bought into a whole lot of bs that they were fed about fear (wmd), duty (freeing iraq), and patriotism (blindly following the guys in power).
The whole religious right has been a scapegoat for what is really going on, believing that this adminisstration has THEIR interests at heart.
Here is you liberal arrogance raising it's ugly head.
Get real, it is the rich and welathy, the 50 billionaires for Bush, that are being served.
Here is the class warfare, straight out of the 50 year old Dem playbook.
Spit out the bs and take a good dose of reality.

Here is your arrogance again, combined with your own psychotic break from reality.

My terrorism new years resolution is to better prepare myself for a terrorist attack. I already own a respirator and a hard hat, I figure that's a good start.

My plan is to amass an emergency closet. It will contain a 90 day's supply of non-perishable food, 50 gallons of pure water, 10 cartons of cigarettes, 4 gallons of bourbon, 1 gallon of scotch, 5 flashlights with triple the amount of batteries, camping supplies, a rifle and a handgun, and ham radio, and 200 square feet of plastic sheeting, 10 rolls of duct tape, and 1 20 lb tank of oxygen. As well as planned evacuation points for an attack coming from any direction.

FollowerOfKeeb said:
My terrorism new years resolution is to better prepare myself for a terrorist attack. I already own a respirator and a hard hat, I figure that's a good start.

My plan is to amass an emergency closet. It will contain a 90 day's supply of non-perishable food, 50 gallons of pure water, 10 cartons of cigarettes, 4 gallons of bourbon, 1 gallon of scotch, 5 flashlights with triple the amount of batteries, camping supplies, a rifle and a handgun, and ham radio, and 200 square feet of plastic sheeting, 10 rolls of duct tape, and 1 20 lb tank of oxygen. As well as planned evacuation points for an attack coming from any direction.

Don't forget the five pounds of pot, the rolling papers (or a good bong, but you won't want to waste your water in a bong) and plenty of fire!

Oh, and some Doritos for when you get the munchies!

sagegirl said:

do you realize that i didn't write it i just posted it and do you realize it is a satirical article?

i certainly hope you are not olde because....well i just hope you are not olde

FollowerOfKeeb said:

you will need more booze......oh and a blow up doll

FollowerOfKeeb said:

:tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil: :tinfoil:

freeandfun1 said:
Don't forget the five pounds of pot, the rolling papers (or a good bong, but you won't want to waste your water in a bong) and plenty of fire!

Oh, and some Doritos for when you get the munchies!

Doritoes aren't non-perishable. Did I say perishable? I meant non-perishable. Why would I want to break the law and buy 5 pounds of pot?

FollowerOfKeeb said:
Doritoes aren't non-perishable. Did I say perishable? I meant non-perishable. Why would I want to break the law and buy 5 pounds of pot?

well, by your posts I figured you weren't old enough to drink, so.......

Doritos will hold for quite a long time as long as you don't open the bag. Really, everything is perishable at some point. Even MRE's are only good for 200 years.

And if the world is in chaos, why are you worried about if you are breaking the law or not?

freeandfun1 said:
well, by your posts I figured you weren't old enough to drink, so.......

Doritos will hold for quite a long time as long as you don't open the bag. Really, everything is perishable at some point. Even MRE's are only good for 200 years.

And if the world is in chaos, why are you worried about if you are breaking the law or not?

The world isn't in chaos. Did it ever occur to you that to have 5 pounds stashed away in case the world become chaos would require breaking the law and buying while the world is not in chaos.

For my purposes, I would consider anything non-perishable if it lasts longer than my life.

FollowerOfKeeb said:

Is this the Keeb you follow?

http://www.keeb.com/

manu1959 said:
it is from my friend who is stating that he agrees with it...
sorry, I thought maybe that YOU were taking it seriously....guess that isnt the case, so sorry to have jumped on you.

Forum List

Back