Apparently, we're not welcome in Indonesia

Comrade

Jan 9, 2004
Seattle, WA.
Islamists warn on Aceh
By Mark Dodd and Sid Maher
January 11, 2005

A HARDLINE Indonesian Islamic group has attacked the presence of Australian aid workers in tsunami-devastated Aceh, as Labor raised concerns yesterday about their safety in the troubled province.

Firm ... Habib Rizieq Shihab of the Islamic Defender's Front

Habib Rizieq Shihab, head of the Islamic Defender's Front (FPI), said Australian assistance in Aceh could herald the start of an East Timor-style intervention designed to secure independence for the troubled northern province.

The Australian Government insisted yesterday it had no interest in any military involvement in Aceh and played down a threat of confrontation with the growing number of Islamist relief workers also flooding into the area. John Howard, in an interview on global news network CNN, ruled out any involvement by Australian troops in peacekeeping or arming troops on the ground.

The Prime Minister said Australia was not interested in picking sides on Aceh, but was there "as a friend trying to give practical help".

"We're not there in a military role, it's just that our military are there in a humanitarian role," he said.

But Mr Shihab told The Australian he feared the presence of hundreds of Australian troops in Aceh would corrupt the province's strict Islamic culture.

Mr Shihab accused Canberra of using the excuse of humanitarian assistance to support a long-term strategy of undermining Indonesian sovereignty.

Australia's strategy in Indonesia was best seen by its role in helping East Timor gain independence, he said.

"We need to be vigilant. We do not want a second East Timor."

He said thousands of his supporters were already in Aceh monitoring the behaviour of foreign troops, including Australians.

"Please Australia, move your feet from Indonesia as soon as your humanitarian work is done," he said. "They should not corrupt Islamic sharia law in force in Aceh, because we know that these foreign soldiers like to bring prostitutes with them. (ARE HOES NOW STANDARD ISSUE ABOARD OZZIE SHIPS???) Also, these soldiers drink alcohol and in Aceh it is strictly forbidden." :gives: (APPARENTLY THEY THINK OZZY SOLDIERS GET A BOOZE RATION WHILE ON MISSION?)

Well no, the fact is whatever drinking and whoring there may be had would be already there, and of course our soldiers would be less likely to do either than any other civilians in any relief organization.

People who work for these Islamic relief agencies must be so impotent that all they can do is bitch about all the drinking and whoring that must be going on out there in the flooded zone right now... :rolleyes:

The Australian army was enforcing a strict no-alcohol policy for personnel in Aceh to avoid offending devout Muslim communities, a senior military officer said last night.

Foreign Minister Alexander Downer told the ABC that Australia's military was happy not to be armed and for security to be provided by the Indonesians.

He said its humanitarian work would signify to both rebel and Islamist groups that it was there only to provide aid.

"I think when it's seen what the humanitarian assistance we're providing is actually doing for the communities, it's a little unlikely that Islamic extremists would see advantage in attacking people who are providing that sort of help," Mr Downer said.

But acting Opposition Leader Chris Evans emerged from a briefing with senior Australian government officials on the Australian aid effort to raise concerns about the security of Australians in Aceh.

He said Australia had gone to great pains to ensure the security of its troops in Iraq and Solomon Islands.

"Previously, on occasions like this, the Australian military have generally insisted on providing their own security.

"I was a little surprised to learn that we weren't providing our own security on this occasion and we did raise those concerns with the Government."

Commander of the Indonesian Armed Forces, Endriartono Sutarto, played down security concerns in the region.

"In my opinion, it's not that bad," he said. The army was not conducting offensive operations against Acehnese rebels, and the estimated 30,000 troops on Sumatra island were only engaged in the relief effort.

Before the disaster, most were fighting rebels from the Free Aceh Movement, known as GAM.

UN staff in Aceh have been placed on high alert following a shooting incident at the weekend and armed guards patrol their compounds, amid fears of rebel attacks.

Mr Howard said the Government would keep a careful eye on the security of Australian aid workers. "Thus far we believe the security situation can be handled effectively and it's not in any way impeding the delivery of aid, particularly the medical aid, which has been on the ground from the very beginning."

Additional reporting: Olivia Rondonuwu, with agencies

The Australian

If foreign assistance from infidels will destroy the 'sanctity of Muslims' in the area, one can only ask if that is more important than their actual lives that would be forfeit without Western help.

Then again, this is still just the opinion of the growing number of Islamist relief workers also flooding into the area.

What exactly are these Islamic 'relief' workers up to?

Comrade said:
Well no, the fact is whatever drinking and whoring there may be had would be already there, and of course our soldiers would be less likely to do either than any other civilians in any relief organization.

People who work for these Islamic relief agencies must be so impotent that all they can do is bitch about all the drinking and whoring that must be going on out there in the flooded zone right now... :rolleyes:

If foreign assistance from infidels will destroy the 'sanctity of Muslims' in the area, one can only ask if that is more important than their actual lives that would be forfeit without Western help.

Then again, this is still just the opinion of the growing number of Islamist relief workers also flooding into the area.

What exactly are these Islamic 'relief' workers up to?

My guess?----Intimdating the traumatized people into not being to grateful about the help that the west is providing. I wonder if the UN will provide troops to protect the relief workers from the Islamic brown shirts?

Maybe they should just leave then,and see what these Islamic "aid workers" can do for everyone. :rolleyes:

DO they ever give up? Do they ever appreciate the help they are given? I can hear them now if Australia wasn't there,along with the U.S. etc. ....."where are all the rich countries? Why aren't they helping us?" This guy needs to realise that it ain't fun for those troops to be over there,take what you can get buddy!!!!!

krisy said:
Maybe they should just leave then,and see what these Islamic "aid workers" can do for everyone. :rolleyes:

DO they ever give up? Do they ever appreciate the help they are given? I can hear them now if Australia wasn't there,along with the U.S. etc. ....."where are all the rich countries? Why aren't they helping us?" This guy needs to realise that it ain't fun for those troops to be over there,take what you can get buddy!!!!!

I would agree, but you know that if we leave and leave the Islamic aid workers, the UN will end up giving those Islamic aid workers OUR money and make them out to be the heros. Plus, the money will never go to aid, but toward buying new bombs in which to kill Americans.

freeandfun1 said:
I would agree, but you know that if we leave and leave the Islamic aid workers, the UN will end up giving those Islamic aid workers OUR money and make them out to be the heros. Plus, the money will never go to aid, but toward buying new bombs in which to kill Americans.

So true!! It gets real annoying helping everyone around the world. Not just the U.S.,Great Britain,Australia,all of us,and we get bitch slapped and critsized in return. I'm glad we are helping,I wish they would tape those critical mouths shut though!!!!! The hypocracy kills me. They treat women like shit,yet Australians don't dare drink or engage in activities with whores(not that I promote that kind of stuff),but give me a break!!!

Forum List

Back