Divorce: Top 10 Mistakes Women & Men Make

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Adam's Apple, Nov 10, 2005.

1. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    Divorce: What Women and Men Need to Know
    By Abe Aamidor, The Indianapolis Star
    November 10, 2005

"To honor and cherish, in sickness and in health, until death do us part." Or irreconcilable differences, whichever comes first.

There are about 2.2 million marriages every year in this country, according to the National Center for Health Statistics. But there are slightly more than 1 million divorces in the same time frame. One in five new unions will be kaput within the first five years, according to the government agency. And the result of those dissolutions? Anger and resentment.

Bruce Willis might be comfortable attending ex-wife Demi Moore's recent wedding to the much younger Ashton Kutcher, but that's not the norm. Most people go through emotional hell and can barely contain their anger at the other person, says George Brenner, a licensed marriage and family therapist at Community Health Network. Brenner, who's also director of addiction services at Community, has a list of emotional do's and don'ts for people going through divorce. Read them, along with other experts' lists of The Top 10 Mistakes Men (and Women) Make in a Divorce:

Top 10 Mistakes Men Make
    Top 10 Mistakes Women Make

For full article:
    http://www.indystar.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20051110/LIVING/511100332/1007

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  2. 5stringJeff

5stringJeff Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +540
    How about mistake #1: getting divorced in the first place, instead of attempting reconciliation?

3. Avatar4321

Avatar4321 Diamond Member Gold Supporting Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +12,220
    What the heck is this crap?

I was expecting top ten mistakes men and women make that cause the marriage to fail.

However, from the look at these mistakes, it looks like its obvious why the divorces happen. I mean if the husband doesnt even know his childrens birthdays then what the heck are they doing in the marriage? How do you not remember something like when your child is born or what they like? It just shows you arent even paying attention to the marriage. Marriage takes work. I know that much and I am not even married yet. What the heck is with people.

• Thank You! Thank You! x 1
  4. Adam's Apple

Adam's Apple Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +447
    You should send the author of the article an e-mail and ask him to do a follow-up article focusing on the top ten mistakes that men and women make that cause their marriages to fail. His e-mail address was given in the article.

5. Hagbard Celine

Hagbard Celine Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +61
    That's an interesting article. Both of my parents made a lot of the mistakes that are listed here when they got divorced.

6. Bonnie

Bonnie Senior Member

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +669
    I guess that author thought there were many books on how to fix a marriage and not enough on how to have a sucessful divorce especially givne how many people do just give up on marriage today, and it's not necessarily both people that do that.

7. William Joyce

William Joyce Chemotherapy for PC

Thanks Received:
    Ratings:
    +1,349
    Divorce is one of the uglier manifestations of our use-it-up and throw-it-away society that puts personal gratification over the good of anything else. It ruins children, it makes a mockery of commitment and values and permanence, and it makes lawyers rich. It's a liberal's dream come true.