Discrimination against smokers

If smokers want to endanger their health, that is their concern. If they endanger others with second hand smoke, that is our concern. That they add to the cost of medical care is our concern. That they are allowed to smoke break more than others get breaks that is our concern.

A former long time smoker.

Hiring a smoker is not as cost effective as hiring a similarly qualified non smoker.

If you don't agree, go blow smoke out your butt.:lol:

First they wouldn't targeted the cannabis smokers, but I was not a stoner so I did not object.

Then they targeted the tobacco smokers, but I was not a smoker so I did not object.

If you cannot see where health fascism is leading us, don't you dare ever refer to yourselves either as liberal or a conservative.

Because both of those noble ideaologies have at their very core, a revulsion to such insideous forms of creeping totalitarianism.

Last edited:
Hiring a smoker is not as cost effective as hiring a similarly qualified non smoker.

If you don't agree, go blow smoke out your butt.:lol:
Nobody can disagree with that, no matter how you feel about the idea of discrimination and smoker's rights.

I suppose there is some truth in this statement.

Now let me see what happens to this truth if I make one minor alteration.

"Hiring a handicapped person is not as cost effective as hiring a similarly qualified non-handicapped person"

Hey, guess what Rayboy, it's still true.

Go figure.

"Hiring a handicapped person is not as cost effective as hiring a similarly qualified non-handicapped person"
Particularly if you are a pro sports team. Then you REALLY discriminate against the handicapped.

I'm not so sure about that. Have you ever heard some of those NBA players being interviewed? Some of those dudes are seriously mentally handicapped. :cool:

Health fascism?
You are labeled a fascist if you do not want to incur higher expenses in your business.
They used to call us fiscal conservatives when we did that.
Smokers are undisciplined losers. I can spot a smoker 40 minutes after they sit on a jury. Fidgety, shifting in their chair, not paying attention, about to die for their drugs.
I would never hire another tobacco head. They cost too much to insure.

Good idea, who wants an obese doctor or nurse? Those who use tobacco are stupid, why would any employer hire stupid people?

so if you needed medical aide right now and the Doc was a chubby fellow.....you would refuse his ministrations?....and i know a guy who smokes,has a phd in physics and has one hell of a nice job and can go ANYWHERE he wants and work....dont sound to stupid to me.....but you Wry are making some pretty stupid statements.....

Ultimately this is about saving money on the company health plan and any other benefits (e.g. Life Insurance) that the employer provides.
They could stop providing these to all employees.
But that really isn't fair to those that are not degenerates. ;)

What about fat people? Isn't heart disease one of the biggest killers?
I have worked with fat lazy people and I have worked with smokers, I would rather work with a smoker.

Luissa i can show you a few places with Lazy skinny people.....i work with some....and we have some fat people who pick up their slack....

I suppose there is some truth in this statement.

Now let me see what happens to this truth if I make one minor alteration.

Hey, guess what Rayboy, it's still true.

Go figure.
That's actually not true. It depends on if the handicap interferes with the required skills of the job. Since smokers require more frequent breaks and are out sick more often due to smoking related illness their "handicap" does interfere with just about any job duties.
People in wheel chairs can do anything people seated at desks can do.

Good idea, who wants an obese doctor or nurse? Those who use tobacco are stupid, why would any employer hire stupid people?

so if you needed medical aide right now and the Doc was a chubby fellow.....you would refuse his ministrations?....and i know a guy who smokes,has a phd in physics and has one hell of a nice job and can go ANYWHERE he wants and work....dont sound to stupid to me.....but you Wry are making some pretty stupid statements.....

All my Dr's and nurses will look like those in the soap operas or by god I will know why!
I am the ones paying them.

Forum List

Back