Discrimination against smokers

Anybody supporting stuff like this, have you seen GATTACCA? It will be possible in the future, sooner than later, to determine people's genetic susceptibility to disease. Should that be used as a hiring criteria?

Hell no, neither should be what people do on their own time. Everybody has some sort of vice.

If smokers don't like it they are free to leave....

Same thing they have been telling non smokers for a hundred years

Ultimately this is about saving money on the company health plan and any other benefits (e.g. Life Insurance) that the employer provides.
They could stop providing these to all employees.
But that really isn't fair to those that are not degenerates. ;)

Ultimately this is about saving money on the company health plan and any other benefits (e.g. Life Insurance) that the employer provides.

It probably also involves the several smoke breaks needed throughout the day.

What about fat people? Isn't heart disease one of the biggest killers?
I have worked with fat lazy people and I have worked with smokers, I would rather work with a smoker.

If smokers were to become a protected class, how many people would take up smoking? LOL!!

Too bad they're not a "protected" class. :lol:

PARMA -- Beginning March 1, Parma Community General Hospital will no longer hire smokers.
The hospital made the announcement Feb. 1.

Larry Jeffries, PCGH’s senior director of human resources, said the new policy is part of the hospital’s campaign to promote good health among its workers.

“It has evolved over the last two-three years,” Jeffries said. “We want our employees to have a healthy lifestyle.

“We believe lifestyle is a choice and that everyone has a responsibility for a healthy lifestyle,” Jeffries said.

Those now working for the hospital, and those hired between now and March 1, won’t be affected by the new smoking policy.

However, starting March 1, job applicants will have to take blood tests that will determine their nicotine levels, if any.

The hospital won’t hire job candidates who test positive for nicotine but it will direct them to smoking cessation programs, for which the candidates would pay.

After 90 days, rejected applicants will be allowed to take a second blood test. If they test negative for nicotine, the hospital will consider hiring them.

Parma community General Hopsital will stop hiring smokers | cleveland.com

What do you think about this? Do you think they would get away with a similarly "health conscious" policy of not hiring fatsos?

what right do businesses have to control a worker's freedom outside of the workplace?

this is another group of elitists telling others how to live their own lives imho! :eek: what's next?

I have worked with fat lazy people and I have worked with smokers, I would rather work with a smoker.
Smokers stink and take too many breaks. Fat people are jolly and always share their candy bars. I'll take Fatso over Stinky every day. :tongue:

Oh I am sure that is next.
I like my employer paid benefits.
I am sure some kind of medium can be found but I think the employer certainly has the right to save money where it can and keep the majority of its employees satisfied with benefits.

PARMA -- Beginning March 1, Parma Community General Hospital will no longer hire smokers.
The hospital made the announcement Feb. 1.

Larry Jeffries, PCGH’s senior director of human resources, said the new policy is part of the hospital’s campaign to promote good health among its workers.

“It has evolved over the last two-three years,” Jeffries said. “We want our employees to have a healthy lifestyle.

“We believe lifestyle is a choice and that everyone has a responsibility for a healthy lifestyle,” Jeffries said.

Those now working for the hospital, and those hired between now and March 1, won’t be affected by the new smoking policy.

However, starting March 1, job applicants will have to take blood tests that will determine their nicotine levels, if any.

The hospital won’t hire job candidates who test positive for nicotine but it will direct them to smoking cessation programs, for which the candidates would pay.

After 90 days, rejected applicants will be allowed to take a second blood test. If they test negative for nicotine, the hospital will consider hiring them.

What do you think about this? Do you think they would get away with a similarly "health conscious" policy of not hiring fatsos?

what right do businesses have to control a worker's freedom outside of the workplace?

this is another group of elitists telling others how to live their own lives imho! :eek: what's next?
The smokers are free not to work there. That's what anyone honest who claims private businesses should set thier own smoking policies will tell you.

Here's some irony:

Back in the day when almost everyone smoked, employers paid for their employees healthcare insurance.

Nowadays when almost nobody smokes anymore, we have to pay for our own healthcare insurance.

Not to change the subject, but I think employer paid healthcare insurance is a big part of the healthcare problem. I'd rather they just give me the money in the form of higher wages and let me pay for my own.

Addiction to alcohol has is a disease, but addiction to nicotine is not.
And congress is exempt from non smoking rules....

Not to change the subject, but I think employer paid healthcare insurance is a big part of the healthcare problem. I'd rather they just give me the money in the form of higher wages and let me pay for my own.

Have you asked? Really they might let you do it.
If you are in good health, below 40 and don't have any of the high risk factors (anything from family history to the lifestyle things like smoking, "excessive" drinking, overweight, etc.) you may save money.

Bingo!

We can thank the wage controllers during the World War II era for this mess.

Here's some irony:

Back in the day when almost everyone smoked, employers paid for their employees healthcare insurance.

Nowadays when almost nobody smokes anymore, we have to pay for our own healthcare insurance.

Back in the good old days the life expectancy of the work force (Men) was only 65 though too.

The smokers are free not to work there. That's what anyone honest who claims private businesses should set thier own smoking policies will tell you.

and i say bullcrap to that.... not that the business should not allow it at work, but outside of work it is none of their business... what next? they won't hire you ....or fire you if you have a glass of wine after work? or 10lbs overweight? sltppery slope, and a big one imho.

It would cost you more and you could be denied if you had any kind of pre-existing condition like diabetes. Employer plans are group plans where the risk is shared across many people to help level out the cost between folks who are young and healthy and probably don't visit the doctor much those who do. Trust me, you do NOT want to go it alone. That is why people who don't have health insurance DON'T have it. They can't afford it.

Forum List

Back