Disband the MPD does not necessarily mean No Police

task0778

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2017
Texas hill country
Talking about the Minneapolis City Council here, surely they know they have to have some kind of security, but what? Some 8 years ago, Camden NJ was not a good place to live. Consider:

Camden NJ has thrice been named the most dangerous city in America. Camden suffered not only from high crime but from poor policing under a rigid union contract. Jim Epstein described the situation in 2014:

Camden’s old city-run police force abused its power and abrogated its duties. It took Camden cops one hour on average to respond to 911 calls, or more than six times the national average. They didn’t show up for work 30 percent of the time, and an inordinate number of Camden police were working desk jobs. A union contract required the city to entice officers with extra pay to get them to accept crime-fighting shifts outside regular business hours. Last year, the city paid $3.5 million in damages to 88 citizens who saw their convictions overturned because of planted evidence, fabricated reports, and other forms of police misconduct.

In 2012, the murder rate in Camden was about five times that of neighboring Philadelphia—and about 18 times the murder rate in New York City.

In May of 2013, however, the entire police department was disbanded nullifying the union contract and an entirely new county police department was put into place.

Which leaves me with a question: first, can Minneapolis legally disband the MPD, thereby nullifying the police union contract? Surely there will be a court battle over that, unions do not go quietly into the night. Union-busting ain't legal, y'know? Camden, New Jersey did it in 2012, but I'm not too sure if the same thing can happen in 2020 in Minnesota. Would the Minnesota courts allow it? As large as Minneapolis is relative to Hinnepin County, I don't know that they can shift all the policing responsibilities onto the county. I imagine they'd have to contract out as much of the policing services to contractors and sub-contractors as they could. There are 2 good reason for doing that: 1) it's a lot cheaper to pay a contractor over a union cop, due to all the benefits, and 2) you fire a contractor just like that, no union to fight for him. The contractor could sue of course, but pretty much on his own dime.

It can be done, the military has been doing it for years, reducing the number of active duty people and hiring civilian contractors to do the same damn thing. I know that cuz I did it myself, walked out the door as an active duty USAF Chief and went back to work doing the same thing as a civvy, albeit not as a supervisor. You'd be surprised how much money you can save IF you can get rid of that damn union. By laying off the officers and rehiring them as county employees, Camden was able to slash officer pay and cut benefits roughly in half. In all, average per officer costs were trimmed from $182,168 to $99,605, according to county figures.

BUT - Minneapolis ain't Camden. In NJ, the state had to pony up a lot of money to get that new operation going and that wasn't anywhere near the amount of what Minneapolis would need. I highly doubt the federal gov't will help financially, unless maybe Biden or a democrat gets elected into the WH. I guess it's doable, but it sure as hell won't be easy or cheap. And frankly, the Dems do not have a good record managing big projects successfully.

Talking about the Minneapolis City Council here, surely they know they have to have some kind of security, but what? Some 8 years ago, Camden NJ was not a good place to live. Consider:

Camden NJ has thrice been named the most dangerous city in America. Camden suffered not only from high crime but from poor policing under a rigid union contract. Jim Epstein described the situation in 2014:

Camden’s old city-run police force abused its power and abrogated its duties. It took Camden cops one hour on average to respond to 911 calls, or more than six times the national average. They didn’t show up for work 30 percent of the time, and an inordinate number of Camden police were working desk jobs. A union contract required the city to entice officers with extra pay to get them to accept crime-fighting shifts outside regular business hours. Last year, the city paid $3.5 million in damages to 88 citizens who saw their convictions overturned because of planted evidence, fabricated reports, and other forms of police misconduct.

In 2012, the murder rate in Camden was about five times that of neighboring Philadelphia—and about 18 times the murder rate in New York City.

In May of 2013, however, the entire police department was disbanded nullifying the union contract and an entirely new county police department was put into place.

Which leaves me with a question: first, can Minneapolis legally disband the MPD, thereby nullifying the police union contract? Surely there will be a court battle over that, unions do not go quietly into the night. Union-busting ain't legal, y'know? Camden, New Jersey did it in 2012, but I'm not too sure if the same thing can happen in 2020 in Minnesota. Would the Minnesota courts allow it? As large as Minneapolis is relative to Hinnepin County, I don't know that they can shift all the policing responsibilities onto the county. I imagine they'd have to contract out as much of the policing services to contractors and sub-contractors as they could. There are 2 good reason for doing that: 1) it's a lot cheaper to pay a contractor over a union cop, due to all the benefits, and 2) you fire a contractor just like that, no union to fight for him. The contractor could sue of course, but pretty much on his own dime.

It can be done, the military has been doing it for years, reducing the number of active duty people and hiring civilian contractors to do the same damn thing. I know that cuz I did it myself, walked out the door as an active duty USAF Chief and went back to work doing the same thing as a civvy, albeit not as a supervisor. You'd be surprised how much money you can save IF you can get rid of that damn union. By laying off the officers and rehiring them as county employees, Camden was able to slash officer pay and cut benefits roughly in half. In all, average per officer costs were trimmed from $182,168 to $99,605, according to county figures.

BUT - Minneapolis ain't Camden. In NJ, the state had to pony up a lot of money to get that new operation going and that wasn't anywhere near the amount of what Minneapolis would need. I highly doubt the federal gov't will help financially, unless maybe Biden or a democrat gets elected into the WH. I guess it's doable, but it sure as hell won't be easy or cheap. And frankly, the Dems do not have a good record managing big projects successfully.
Minneapolis is a well run city with plenty of cash. It’d be an interesting experiment but I don’t know if it’s an experiment that we want to try.

Minneapolis is a well run city with plenty of cash. It’d be an interesting experiment but I don’t know if it’s an experiment that we want to try.

The entire nation saw how well run Minneapolis is.

how dare you disagree with abolishing the police force ! you are a racist !

My city decided it could get by without any animal control officers. Inside 3 months they were desperate to fill the positions as feral cats were swinging from the lamp posts.

My city decided it could get by without any animal control officers. Inside 3 months they were desperate to fill the positions as feral cats were swinging from the lamp posts.

Better it was feral cats!

Hutu-Tutu American feral blacks are nudging each other laughing and saying to each other, "Damn, we knew white liberals were stupid, but not this stupid! Let's run with this....".

It is my honest opinion that what the City of Minneapolis can do and how fast they can do it will primarily depend on the police union. Can they disband the MPD and the associated union? Will the Courts allow it? If they do, will they require a union for whatever replaces the MPD? If not, that kinda puts the Dems in a tough spot, bust-up a public union (their bread and butter) or abjectly fail in reforming the MPD. Or maybe the union will cooperate and let them do whatever, provided the union still exists for whatever the new public safety dept becomes. Uhuh, guys that ain't going to work.

Last edited:

The entire nation saw how well run Minneapolis is.

Low crime. High prosperity. Excellent schools. Fine public works. Beautiful park system. Minimal corruption.

Indeed, no one advocates for ‘disbanding’ the MPD.

What’s being proposed is to replace management and administration, not ‘eliminate’ sworn officers from performing routine patrol duty, responding to emergencies, and protecting public safety.

Rather then waiting for existing upper level management and administration to implement reforms, reform is achieved by replacing the command structure altogether.

Needless to say, most on the reprehensible right will continue to propagate the lie that reformers seek to ‘eliminate’ all law enforcement.

What’s being proposed is to replace management and administration, not ‘eliminate’ sworn officers from performing routine patrol duty, responding to emergencies, and protecting public safety.

How the hell would you know what it means when the city council themselves can't even define what they mean, Baghdad Bob?

Rather then waiting for existing upper level management and administration to implement reforms, reform is achieved by replacing the command structure altogether.

Needless to say, most on the reprehensible right will continue to propagate the lie that reformers seek to ‘eliminate’ all law enforcement.

What’s being proposed is to replace management and administration, not ‘eliminate’ sworn officers from performing routine patrol duty, responding to emergencies, and protecting public safety. -- I haven't seen that written anywhere, what's your source?

--
I haven't seen that written anywhere either, what's your source?

--
The president of the city council said they would disband the police dept. Not some of it, not just the management and administration.

This is what Lisa Bender said:

“Our commitment is to end our city’s toxic relationship with the Minneapolis Police Department,” Bender said. “It is clear that our system of policing is not keeping our communities safe. Our efforts at incremental reform have failed, period.”

However, Jeremiah Ellison, son of state AG Keith Ellison more clearly stated the intent of those gathered.

“This council is going to dismantle the police department,” Ellison reportedly said. “If you don’t stay in this fight I fear that this council or another will just glue it back together.”

That sounds to me like the whole police dept will be eliminated.

Then why are they begging Trump for money to repair their riot ravaged city? Spineless morons.

Liberals are huge union rackets. This could be interesting.

disband
verb [ I or T ]
UK /dɪsˈbænd/ US

to stop existing as a group or organization, or to end a group or organization:

How the hell would you know what it means when the city council themselves can't even define what they mean, Baghdad Bob?

Derp....
By looking at how other municipalities have done this in the past like the OP said.

Let me just put it this way: until someone advocating "disband the Minneapolis police" can explain to me what their alternative plan actually is, I'm not planning to help them out by filling in the blanks for them.

There is no credible logic behind the phrase 'Disband the Police'!

All that I've heard so far is alot of Orwellian Doublespeak that makes no F'in sense!!

Forum List

Back