Dirty Motor

A fan of Gunk followed with a pressure washer. That Gunk stuff has been around forever. Careful with the electricals and the pressure washer.

Yeah, I was wondering about the Gunk. You're talking about the degreaser, right? The power washing was what gave me pause. Mainly because the alternator is one of the worst areas.
Do not power wash your alternator unless you want to replace it.

Do not power wash your alternator unless you want to replace it.

I ended up replacing the alternator last week anyway. But, yeah, I'd wrap it if I did decide to powerwash. That's good advice for anyone. I likely won't powerwash, though. Just a lot of scrubbing and a light rinse. I'll still wrap it, though.

I also got a good product from the auto parts store "B52" All these will degrease but will do nothing about the oxidation stuff.

Pic in my C5 2003 Aniversary Z06. That's the LS6 405 hp in the anniversary.

83xjNMq.jpg

Scrubbing the aluminum with scotch brite pads followed by Mothers aluminum wheel polish is about the best thing I've used for the oxidation. A coat of wax afterward will keep it shining for at least a year til you have to do it again.

Oh man, you had to remind me of Mothers, I drove oil trucks. When it was slow the boss had us Mothers the entire tank They were all bright alum with only the name we didn't have to do. Took long time. Least not laid off.

Just run it through an auto-mated car wash with the hood up. Make sure to video tape it so everyone can see how well that works out.

Oh man, you had to remind me of Mothers, I drove oil trucks. When it was slow the boss had us Mothers the entire tank They were all bright alum with only the name we didn't have to do. Took long time. Least not laid off.

Heh heh. Yeah, it takes a while.

Forum List

Back