Dirty Motor

Natural Citizen

American Made
Gold Supporting Member
Aug 8, 2016
Really don't feel like wire brushing the thing. At least not until spring gets here. Anybody ever have success with just a spray and go type of cleaner? I considered Simple Green for the time being but still likely have to do a lot scrubbing or brushing. I just don't feel like doing it. Not the clearest picture, but you can see the compressor, for instance, is cruddy. Alternator, the brackets, stuff like that.

joItOcV.jpg

Last edited:
Really don't feel like wire brushing the thing. At least not until spring gets here. Anybody ever have success with just a spray and go type of cleaner? I considered Simple Green for the time being but still likely have to do a lot scrubbing or brushing. I just don't feel like doing it. Not the clearest picture, but you can see the compressor, for instance, is cruddy. Alternator, the brackets, stuff like that.

joItOcV.jpg

A fan of Gunk followed with a pressure washer. That Gunk stuff has been around forever. Careful with the electricals and the pressure washer.

A fan of Gunk followed with a pressure washer. That Gunk stuff has been around forever. Careful with the electricals and the pressure washer.

Yeah, I was wondering about the Gunk. You're talking about the degreaser, right? The power washing was what gave me pause. Mainly because the alternator is one of the worst areas.

Vette aye... gen 5? Looks pretty clean to me.

There's lots of vids on youtube about how to clean an engine compartment, bro.

No, it's a C4. It just looks cleaner than it actually is. Once you get underneath the compressor and the alternator where the pulleys and brackets and everything are I have that black residue. Looks more like corrosion, but it's not.

Simple Green works great.

Does it? I've heard that but never tried it. That's why I mentioned it specifically. Do you have to scrub it? I donlt mind scrubbing it with wire brushes, But I was thinking that would be more of a spring kind of job. I was looking for somethig nI could just spray on, let sit and rinse off.

Dick mentioned the Gunk, that's supposed to be pretty good for grease.

Vette aye... gen 5? Looks pretty clean to me.

There's lots of vids on youtube about how to clean an engine compartment, bro.

No, it's a C4. It just looks cleaner than it actually is. Once you get underneath the compressor and the alternator where the pulleys and brackets and everything are I have that black residue. Looks more like corrosion, but it's not.
Still pretty clean, man. I wouldn't fret too much about it, unless you just like it pristine. Nothing wrong with that. But again, youtube has great vids on how to clean an engine, and the Gunk mentioned does work good. I've used that myself on dirty old engine compartments.

Still pretty clean, man. I wouldn't fret too much about it, unless you just like it pristine. Nothing wrong with that. But again, youtube has great vids on how to clean an engine, and the Gunk mentioned does work good. I've used that myself on dirty old engine compartments.

I'm gonna store it away for the year, that's why I asked, just looking for a quick spray and rinse in the mean time. I didnlt even think to look on youtube, to be honest.

Simple Green works great.

Does it? I've heard that but never tried it. That's why I mentioned it specifically. Do you have to scrub it? I donlt mind scrubbing it with wire brushes, But I was thinking that would be more of a spring kind of job. I was looking for somethig nI could just spray on, let sit and rinse off.

Dick mentioned the Gunk, that's supposed to be pretty good for grease.
You just spray it on 50-50 mix with water...Spray it off with water....Eats through grease very well.

Purple Zep works great too....Though it's a but caustic to the skin.

https://www.zep.com/product/zepcommercial/industrial-purple-cleaner-degreaser-concentrate

Alright, then. I'll pick up some Simple Green and some Gunk and give it a quick once over. Thanks, fellers.

I might pick up soem of that Zep for spring cleaning, thanks, Oddball. Never even heard of that stuff. It clings to vertical surfaces, it says. That'd be great for hitting the underneath stuff under the parts on the top of the motor.

joItOcV.jpg
/—-/ I remember when car washes would steam clean your engine for about $25.

joItOcV.jpg
Super Clean in the purple bottle. Test first. Make sure to apply on cold surfaces. Make sure it gets washed off with water and wipe off. Try wiping WD-40 on the plastics after.

https://www.wd40.com/how-to/user-stories/

Last edited:
I also got a good product from the auto parts store "B52" All these will degrease but will do nothing about the oxidation stuff.

Pic in my C5 2003 Aniversary Z06. That's the LS6 405 hp in the anniversary.

83xjNMq.jpg

Forum List

Back