Did you know this about new car starters?

My truck has an off switch for that auto start... or on a truck you can get an adapter to plug into your trailer electrical plug by the rear trailer hitch and the truck will think its towing and the auto start will shut off....

Back when I thought I was going to buy a Bronco, I followed several discussions on relevant forums about different ways to disable the ASS feature. That was one of them, basically tricking the vehicle into thinking it was towing a trailer. But that produces unwanted side effects, and likely would for your truck as well. At this level of supplication, the power train management adjusts various parameters according to such assumptions about how the vehicle is being used, and it is not a good thing for it to think you're pulling a trailer, when you are not.

The takeaway that I got from all the discussion is that the best solution, by far, is a device such as I linked to in my pervious post. Apparently, all the ASS-equipped vehicles do have a button on the dashboard that you can press, once you've started the engine, to disable ASS for that run.

This device connects in to that button, and has the effect of automatically pressing it, when you start your vehicle. As far as the vehicle itself knows, ASS is disabled because you pushed the button to disable it, completely in accordance with how the vehicle expects it to be disabled; so no false inputs while the vehicle is running, to confuse it about the parameter so how it is being used.

Back when I thought I was going to buy a Bronco, I followed several discussions on relevant forums about different ways to disable the ASS feature. That was one of them, basically tricking the vehicle into thinking it was towing a trailer. But that produces unwanted side effects, and likely would for your truck as well. At this level of supplication, the power train management adjusts various parameters according to such assumptions about how the vehicle is being used, and it is not a good thing for it to think you're pulling a trailer, when you are not.

The takeaway that I got from all the discussion is that the best solution, by far, is a device such as I linked to in my pervious post. Apparently, all the ASS-equipped vehicles do have a button on the dashboard that you can press, once you've started the engine, to disable ASS for that run.

This device connects in to that button, and has the effect of automatically pressing it, when you start your vehicle. As far as the vehicle itself knows, ASS is disabled because you pushed the button to disable it, completely in accordance with how the vehicle expects it to be disabled; so no false inputs while the vehicle is running, to confuse it about the parameter so how it is being used.
/—-/ There is a setting in my 2021 Volvo that allows me to permanently turn off the SS which I did on day one.

The comment section claims a new starter and relays is 2-3,000 dollars.

Plus, without the dealership software, you can't reset the computer to tell the car it has a new starter.

Saw something similar with BMW(?) batteries...that the cars computer compensates for battery wear, and if you replace the battery without telling the computer, it will either ruin the battery or the alternator.
That cost is ridiculous.
Just got a barn find, '95 Ram 3500, 360V8
very little 'save the planet' features
I'm gonna tool on downtown and pollute like an American! :dev3:
~S~
And it's probably 10 minutes and two bolts to replace a starter.

Just got a barn find, '95 Ram 3500, 360V8
very little 'save the planet' features
I'm gonna tool on downtown and pollute like an American! :dev3:
~S~
That's six years newer than anything we own at the moment.

'89 F150, '86 Chevy Scottsdale, 77 F100 SB, '74 F100, '71 Honda CB750 and a '68 VW Type 1 Beetle.

That's six years newer than anything we own at the moment.

'89 F150, '86 Chevy Scottsdale, 77 F100 SB, '74 F100, '71 Honda CB750 and a '68 VW Type 1 Beetle.

Oh, you have a type 1 Beetle? What kind of shape is it in?

Wow.

My next car will be a 1970's classic.

This is like everytime you try to get something done on the internet, there's an app to buy a monthly subscription for, or an app the company wants you to add to your phone.

I guess I'm getting old. When I was a kid, I knew little about cars except how to hand my dad tools. But when I got my own, I was able to do whatever work I needed, by reading the Chilton book.

Forum List

Back