Did you know this about new car starters?

My truck has an off switch for that auto start... or on a truck you can get an adapter to plug into your trailer electrical plug by the rear trailer hitch and the truck will think its towing and the auto start will shut off....

I don't know about other manufacturers, but I do know that the ESS system in Jeep Wranglers and Gladiators can be "permanently" disabled by the owner. It runs off a secondary battery and fuse, but not as simple as just removing both of those. There's been a few incidents where the secondary battery died on people while off-roading and in local traffic, pretty much causing the main engine to shut down with no warning.

My Automotive knowledge ends at around the turn of the century at which point I started going back the other way.

If this us true it is downright evil.

I just rebuilt the 35 year old OEM Denso on one of my cars for like 8 bucks.

Obviously that car only gets turned on or off when I want it on or off rather than when it wants.

Seems like these new cars are reducing drivers to mere passengers these days.

Where's the fun in that...

Last edited:
Having driven too many old cars that were a pain to start, this new feature is terrifying. Fortunately my car is too cheap for that. :abgg2q.jpg:

You can turn it off if you like. I have it in my car that I’ve owned for 3 years. Never had an issue
That's good...but apparently some don't have that option. In the comments someone said there is a writing harness that can be added that tells the computer the hood is open, which disables the economy mode and keeps the car in diagnostic mode.

Is that the dumbest idea ever?

How much gas does the car use at idle?

And how much do you save in gas vs a new starter?
The comment section claims a new starter and relays is 2-3,000 dollars.

Plus, without the dealership software, you can't reset the computer to tell the car it has a new starter.

Saw something similar with BMW(?) batteries...that the cars computer compensates for battery wear, and if you replace the battery without telling the computer, it will either ruin the battery or the alternator.

/——/ Government mandated. Because, they know what’s best for us.

Too funny. I guess my old used vehicles just went up in value again! Let us just say there will be no new cars in my future and a lot of others!

I wonder, does the auto industry who bought into Joe's EV mandate and is now losing their shirts on EVs know that if all the car manufacturers simply REFUSED to adopt this crap, WHAT WOULD THE GOVERNMENT DO? Shut down or arrest all auto manufacturers?

Who mandated this? The EPA which has no authority to pass laws?

This nation is reaching Terminal Stupid at BALLISTIC speed. 🚀

Too funny. I guess my old used vehicles just went up in value again! Let us just say there will be no new cars in my future and a lot of others!

I wonder, does the auto industry who bought into Joe's EV mandate and is now losing their shirts on EVs know that if all the car manufacturers simply REFUSED to adopt this crap, WHAT WOULD THE GOVERNMENT DO? Shut down or arrest all auto manufacturers?

Who mandated this? The EPA which has no authority to pass laws?

This nation is reaching Terminal Stupid at BALLISTIC speed. 🚀
/—-/ They tell your DMV not to renew your registration. They can keep your car off the road. Driving is a privilege, not a right.

I just purchased a 2019 Toyota Tundra and it does not have that feature, and all other features like Lane Departure Alert and Radar Braking have to be initiated by the driver. Typically shut off in my truck.

I don't want that start/stop crap in any vehicle ever, especially living in an area that can reach -35F.

When you start a car here, you keep that sucker running until your destination.

My Automotive knowledge ends at around the turn of the century at which point I started going back the other way.
If this us true it is downright evil.

When/if I get a car that has the Auto Stop Start (ASS) feature, the first accessory that I will buy for it is this:

Forum List

Back