Did Tony Stewart Murder That Guy?

Tony Stewart could still face criminal charges for running down Kevin Ward Jr. with his sprint car, even if the three-time NASCAR champion didn't mean to kill Ward, hurt him or even scare him.

Ontario County Sheriff Philip Povero, who announced on Tuesday that the investigation is continuing, has said that his initial findings have turned up nothing that would indicate criminal intent in the crash at the Canandaigua Motorsports Park.

But legal experts agree that does not mean Stewart is in the clear.

The NASCAR star could be charged with second-degree manslaughter under New York law if prosecutors believe he "recklessly caused the death of another person," with negligent homicide another possibility, according to criminal law professor Corey Rayburn Yung of the Kansas University School of Law.

"The question over whether someone was reckless is a factual one, and one a prosecutor might let a jury decide," said Yung, who also posts at the Concurring Opinion blog.

Athletes in competition often do things that would get the average person arrested — think two boxers in the ring, or a baserunner sliding into second with his spikes high. But sometimes an act is so far outside the bounds of accepted sporting behavior that it becomes a crime.

Criminal charge possible for Stewart in Ward death

reminds me of that time manifraud once bragged about purposely whipping a slap shot straight at a referee he was pissed at during a hockey game... the ref went down writhing in pain and that psycho with a hockey stick giddily bragged how it was the perfect pay-back since there was no way that anyone could ever prove his intent to do the ref harm... :cuckoo:

I once drilled a hockey referee right in the shin with a slapshot, on purpose, because he was being a total asshole. Of course I made it look unintentional. He got a welt that swelled up the size of tennis ball and he had to leave the game.

Not my proudest moment for sure. But the fucker was really asking for it. :D

oh my bad, the brag came with his typical weaselly disclaimer clause... :cuckoo:

Last edited:

Obviously !!

A pedestrian always has the right of way.

There are no pedestrian on an active race track

I believe the NFL "one step under control" rule should apply.

Now if the individual had been thrown from the race car that would be an entirely different situation indeed.

You are making up rules, and applying them to different sports. Do you think you are god?

Obviously !!

A pedestrian always has the right of way.

Really? So I can walk out in the middle of Le Mans and expect all the drivers to stop?

Under a caution flag, drivers are expected to slow down and look out for emergency personnel - and yes, be ready to stop if necessary.

Stewart did stop, but I still wouldn't walk out on a track just because ether is a caution flag. Especially at night, when the cars don't have headlights, and I am dressed in dark colors. Fuck, I don't even walk out in the street out front at night without looking, and there is rarely traffic on it, and there is a streetlight right across the street.

Really? So I can walk out in the middle of Le Mans and expect all the drivers to stop?

Under a caution flag, drivers are expected to slow down and look out for emergency personnel - and yes, be ready to stop if necessary.

Stewart did stop, but I still wouldn't walk out on a track just because ether is a caution flag. Especially at night, when the cars don't have headlights, and I am dressed in dark colors. Fuck, I don't even walk out in the street out front at night without looking, and there is rarely traffic on it, and there is a streetlight right across the street.

Yep. I don't think anyone is claiming Ward was blameless. The question is whether Stewart was being stupidly reckless as well. It kind of looked like it to me, but I wasn't there.

I heard today there are other videos, from different angles that might give the investigators more to work with.

At first I thought it was just an accident but given the facts that they'd had an earlier altercation and the other driver was out of his car, "pointing" at Stewart; and considering Stewart's documented anger issues, wouldn't it be natural to assume Stewart intentionally ran the guy down?

No it would not be. Rational would be realizing that NO driver is expecting or looking for a person walking on the track. Rational Would be knowing how a Sprint car drives. Rational would be knowing what the view from inside of a sprint car looks like.

Rational would be knowing all these things before speculating about murder. The only person responsible for Ward Dying is WARD. You do not get out of your car on the track unless the thing is burning. PERIOD. You certainly do not walk into the middle of the track because you are pissed at someone and want to make hand gestures at them. You do not expect the other drivers to watch out for you. They have no reason to.

At first I thought it was just an accident but given the facts that they'd had an earlier altercation and the other driver was out of his car, "pointing" at Stewart; and considering Stewart's documented anger issues, wouldn't it be natural to assume Stewart intentionally ran the guy down?

No it would not be. Rational would be realizing that NO driver is expecting or looking for a person walking on the track.

That's not entirely true. The whole point of a caution flag is for drivers to slow down and look for just such an occurrence. Emergency crews rely on the drivers NOT running over them while they're trying to clear a wreck. Which in no way excuses the stupidity of Ward marching down the track, into traffic, basically throwing a fit.

While I agree - it's not rational to assume it was intentional - Stewart should have been more careful, and regardless of what statements he's made, I promise you he's thinking the same thing about now.

Last edited:

No it would not be. Rational would be realizing that NO driver is expecting or looking for a person walking on the track.

That's not entirely true. The whole point of a caution flag is for drivers to slow down and look for just such an occurrence. Emergency crews rely on the drivers NOT running over them while they're trying to clear a wreck. Which in no way excuses the stupidity of Ward marching down the track, into traffic, basically throwing a fit.

While I agree - it's not rational to assume it was intentional - Stewart should have been more careful, and regardless of what statements he's made, I promise you he's thinking the same thing about now.

What specifically should Stewart have done to have been more careful? This is not too hard to answer using hindsight. However, it's much more difficult to do before shit like this happens.

What specifically should Stewart have done to have been more careful? This is not too hard to answer using hindsight. However, it's much more difficult to do before shit like this happens.
Not revved his engine when he was near Ward.

You can't prove that he did. The audio could have been any of the other drivers in the field revving their engine.

Your argument might then be, well, the car's rear end came around, and yes it did. But, anyone who has ever driven a rear wheel drive car or truck on dirt knows, that when you are doing around 40 mph and turn the wheel hard left, the rear end likes to kick out to the right.

Thus to me, the video that I have seen is inconclusive. It could be that Stewart saw Ward on the track at the last moment, turned hard left and the back end whipped out and caught him.

The only person who knows for sure, what happened, is Tony Stewart.

Last edited:

You can't prove that he did. The audio could have been any of the other drivers in the field revving their engine.

Your argument might then be, well, the car's rear end came around, and yes it did. But, anyone who has ever driven a rear wheel drive car or truck on dirt knows, that when you are doing around 40 mph and turn the wheel hard left, the rear end likes to kick out to the right.

Thus to me, the video that I have seen is inconclusive. It could be that Stewart saw Ward on the track at the last moment, turned hard left and the back end whipped out and caught him.

The only person who knows for sure, what happened, is Tony Stewart.

And that is why Stewart will not be prosecuted. He will lawyer up, say the right things and never admit what he really did that night

Forum List

Back