did david gregory break the law on meet the press holding up that magazine

And on what basis would you place that bet? It would be interesting to see actual factual data, although I realize that would violate the spirit of this thread.

In any case, any of us who have Googled around for news about this day to day and noticed that it has no legs is one indication among many that this is a tiny bubble on the screen of public buzz. Only a few political junkies like this thread and the hair-on-fire right wing blogs are paying any attention at all. So I don't think the general pop, in DC or outside it, is going to care a whit.

District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

According to a resident of the district posting here, this story has plenty of legs.

Do you have some sort of information that proves him wrong?

Or are you just projecting what you wish were true?

What I'm asking is: on what basis would you "bet that the VAST majority of cases involving this law have been brought against black and Hispanic defendants"? Stats? Impression? Conjecture or stereotypes? The premise would require that the vast majority of assault weapons, specifically this one, are used by blacks and/or Hispanics. That's why I'm asking.

And the larger issue is (and this is also subjective) I don't think the country, or the District, at large is even aware of this penny ante story. I believe it's confined to the bubble in which we all reside here, a political message board forum. Therefore I don't see a mass uprising, riots and a city going down in flames on the basis that David Gregory is white. Most of the city, the country and the world really doesn't care about stupid gotcha hack journalism like this. They just don't.

Who's the resident of the District here, btw? I'm not aware.

Demographics. Based on those it could be logically argued that the vast majority of ALL criminal cases in DC are brought against minority defendants.

Where did I say "mass uprising, riots and a city going down in flames"?

A bit hyperbolic, wouldn't you say?

As to the identity of the 'resident', you'll have to go back through the thread as I don't remember which poster made the claim.

District of Columbia QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau

According to a resident of the district posting here, this story has plenty of legs.

Do you have some sort of information that proves him wrong?

Or are you just projecting what you wish were true?

What I'm asking is: on what basis would you "bet that the VAST majority of cases involving this law have been brought against black and Hispanic defendants"? Stats? Impression? Conjecture or stereotypes? The premise would require that the vast majority of assault weapons, specifically this one, are used by blacks and/or Hispanics. That's why I'm asking.

And the larger issue is (and this is also subjective) I don't think the country, or the District, at large is even aware of this penny ante story. I believe it's confined to the bubble in which we all reside here, a political message board forum. Therefore I don't see a mass uprising, riots and a city going down in flames on the basis that David Gregory is white. Most of the city, the country and the world really doesn't care about stupid gotcha hack journalism like this. They just don't.

Demographics. Based on those it could be logically argued that the vast majority of ALL criminal cases in DC are brought against minority defendants.

As to the identity of the 'resident', you'll have to go back through the thread as I don't remember which poster made the claim.

Yes, I would definitely say. That's the point - I was mocking the bassethound who's been entertaining these fantasies. More than a bit hyperbolic in fact. She said it, not you.

Back to the bet, simple demographics isn't enough, sez I -- you would have to have evidence that assault weapon firearms like this specifically are predominantly in the hands of those ethnic groups, in spite of the known history of their use by white men. You'd have to show the pattern in DC does not follow that usual scenario and thus is the exception. And that's why I ask.

I tried to quote you, but I was posting urls.

The man said a magazine can hold that many rounds, namely 30, I believe. The same size magazine can be changed to hold 5 rounds. I've changed magazine back, so what's the point?

We had laws in this country limiting magazine size for game. The NRA didn't care much about that. Now, we have a situation, where laws differ in states and people in states are allowed to send their product thru the internet to states that restrict that product.

That's nice going for the people in the NRA who "thought" the Consitution gave untited access to gun, but the Constitution said arms or weapons and not guns. Are people suppose to have hydrogen bomb, atomic bombs or what weapon in between their fists?

I don't want all guns removed from American citizens, but there should be regulation. It's important that people can protect themselves and their countries from tyranny. I don't want the US to export weapons to foreign countries, like Mexico, so someone can make a buck. They can make their bucks the honest way and if we aren't screwing up the world, there will be opportunities to make money for the corporations, but not the small size gun dealers! Sorry about your luck, but your market should be shut down, because you don't serve a useful purpose! I'm for small business, but not your business. Why would I want to contribute to killing innocent people for your living? Go into hardware or something!

Enough, of the dumbshit!

I already pointed out the maximum penalty for this crime, I have no idea why you didn't believe me.

If another reporter violated another law he should be charged and treated EQUALLY as any other citizen.

Aurora is in Colorado, how'd their gun laws work out in the 'Batman' massacre?
Yes, many in this thread have pointed out the maximum penalty, as well. It's not a great revelation.

Yet you keep harping on EQUALITY without acknowledging that different circumstances end up with different penalties, ranging from minimum to maximum, for legitimate reasons. You'd rather pretend it's because of race, because you are too stubborn to admit that circumstances and intent matter...
Of course I understand that, Val. That's why I keep saying that the fact that they first called Metro PD to ask if they could do this, Metro PD said NFW, and they still did is not going to help them at all in this case.

It's not all that complicated.

This thread is good for gun-control advocates. I'm surprised NaziCons are keeping it alive.

How is making your colossal hypocrisy obvious good for gun-control advocates?

Because, dufus, you're keeping the Bushmaster and high-capacity magazines front and center.

Keeping the Piers Morgan deportation petition alive is another idiot move.

Keep up the good work...

This thread is good for gun-control advocates. I'm surprised NaziCons are keeping it alive.

Because, dufus, you're keeping the Bushmaster and high-capacity magazines front and center.

Keep up the good work...

Great point. The thing to do with something you want to go away would be to shut up about it and let the natural waning take effect. Way too Taoist for the simplistic-minded.

Yes, I would definitely say. That's the point - I was mocking the bassethound who's been entertaining these fantasies. More than a bit hyperbolic in fact. She said it, not you.

Back to the bet, simple demographics isn't enough, sez I -- you would have to have evidence that assault weapon firearms like this specifically are predominantly in the hands of those ethnic groups, in spite of the known history of their use by white men. You'd have to show the pattern in DC does not follow that usual scenario and thus is the exception. And that's why I ask.

Before I get started would you source THIS giant ASSumption for me?

Keep up the good work...

Great point. The thing to do with something you want to go away would be to shut up about it and let the natural waning take effect. Way too Taoist for the simplistic-minded.

That doesn't work with liberals. They never shut the fuck up.

And now this thread would like to break, for a short musical interlude

David Gregory rap dancing it up with Karl Rove.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAA79s0TLaI]Karl Rove funny rapping and dancing and David Gregory dancing MSNBC HD - YouTube[/ame]

:razz:

Keep up the good work...

No, we are keeping the emotional response of gun control loons in the forefront.

Keep up the good work...

Oh, but few of us want the hypocrisy about giving the white guy on the tube - a NBC station, no less - a pass on the District's gun control laws to be brushed under the rug.

That's too 1st Amendment for your two brain cells to grasp.

Lahkota is just brain dead.

Police Complete Investigation of NBC's David Gregory Illegal Magazine Possession
The investigation into NBC Meet the Press host David Gregory has been completed by Washington D.C. police and has been turned over to the attorney general's office, who will decided whether to prosecute the case. As a refresher, three weeks ago Gregory interviewed NRA President Wayne LaPierre from the Meet the Press studio in Washington D.C. During the interview, Gregory held up a 30-round ammunition magazine while making a case for limits on magazine capacity. The simple possession of a 30-round ammunition magazine in Washington D.C. is illegal. Possessing a magazine capable of holding 10 or more rounds of ammunition, even if empty, is a misdemeanor punishable by up to one year in jail and a $1,000 fine.

The Attorney General's Office is in an interesting position. The explanation for not prosecuting wil have to be very specific and probably contradictory to the law, take it to court, or most likely some type of plea deal.

Prosecutors in our nation’s capital have just announced that David Gregory—the NBC News Meet the Press host who waved a 30-round magazine (illegal in D.C.) around the set like it was just an empty metal box—is getting off scott free. According to a statement by the city’s office of Attorney General . . . .
…criminal charges wouldn’t serve the public’s best interests even though possession of the magazine — capable of holding up to 30 rounds of ammunition — was clearly against the law. In a letter to NBC’s lawyer, D.C. Attorney General Irvin Nathan also said he recognized that the device was intended as a prop to provoke public discussion on gun control following the Connecticut school massacre.
The DC Attorney General’s office ‘splained their reasoning this way:
Influencing our judgment in this case, among other things, is our recognition that the intent of the temporary possession and short display of the magazine was to promote the First Amendment purpose of informing an ongoing public debate about firearms policy in the United States, especially while this subject was foremost in the minds of the public.

BREAKING: James Yeager's CCW License Revoked, David Gregory Walks | The Truth About Guns

Prosecutors in our nation’s capital have just announced that David Gregory—the NBC News Meet the Press host who waved a 30-round magazine (illegal in D.C.) around the set like it was just an empty metal box—is getting off scott free. According to a statement by the city’s office of Attorney General . . . .
…criminal charges wouldn’t serve the public’s best interests even though possession of the magazine — capable of holding up to 30 rounds of ammunition — was clearly against the law. In a letter to NBC’s lawyer, D.C. Attorney General Irvin Nathan also said he recognized that the device was intended as a prop to provoke public discussion on gun control following the Connecticut school massacre.
The DC Attorney General’s office ‘splained their reasoning this way:
Influencing our judgment in this case, among other things, is our recognition that the intent of the temporary possession and short display of the magazine was to promote the First Amendment purpose of informing an ongoing public debate about firearms policy in the United States, especially while this subject was foremost in the minds of the public.

BREAKING: James Yeager's CCW License Revoked, David Gregory Walks | The Truth About Guns

What a freakin' surprise. Like a 1000 dollar fine would have hurt Gregory. So what we have is him flaunting the law and the DA supporting that. NO one should ever be held accountible to that law ever again.

The proletariat can break the law as long as they are cracking down on the bourgeois.

Basically he would have received an expensive parking ticket. Did the police do any follow up as to where the clip may have ended up? Maybe Gregory borrowed it from his bodyguard.

Forum List

Back