DeVos: The Atrocious Secretary of Education -Thanks Again Donald!

Our school system is just fine except for mainly minority-dominated inner city schools. Language issues and behavioral problems negate any attempt to educate. That is not the school's fault but society in general. Lack of work ethic is another major problem that you cannot teach.

Additional challenges don’t “negate” teaching OR learning.

You obviously have never taught in an inner city school where over half the kids don't speak English, another quarter speak Ebonics, and the last quarter have English as a second language, and good luck on trying to find anyone that speaks their primary language other then them.

That's exactly where I teach every fucking day. Don't try to pull rank on me, champ. I teach where the kids need the kind of help I can give the most. I don't dismiss them as unteachable or give up on them because the work is very, very hard. Things worth doing are very rarely easy.

So, tell me oh Teacher Extraordinaire, how do you overcome language difficulties?
Are you referring to his lack of understanding of the English language?: :)

Apparently he understands every language in the known universe.

I always tell people that I can speak every language except Greek.

When they ask me if I can actually speak a language, like Swahili, I just tell them, "That's Greek to me!".

Betsy Devos is making changes because our public school system woefully under performs other countries despite spending an enormous amount of money per student.

Our school system is just fine except for mainly minority-dominated inner city schools. Language issues and behavioral problems negate any attempt to educate. That is not the school's fault but society in general. Lack of work ethic is another major problem that you cannot teach.

You obviously have never taught in an inner city school where over half the kids don't speak English, another quarter speak Ebonics, and the last quarter have English as a second language, and good luck on trying to find anyone that speaks their primary language other then them.

That's exactly where I teach every fucking day. Don't try to pull rank on me, champ. I teach where the kids need the kind of help I can give the most. I don't dismiss them as unteachable or give up on them because the work is very, very hard. Things worth doing are very rarely easy.

So, tell me oh Teacher Extraordinaire, how do you overcome language difficulties?

Now YOU sound like someone who has never taught this population. Didn't you at least go through SEI training?

Are you referring to his lack of understanding of the English language?: :)

?????????????????

Now YOU sound like someone who has never taught this population. Didn't you at least go through SEI training?

What is SEI? Remember, if you teach somewhere else, it probably has a different name.

Here is more:

What’s the worst that could happen with Betsy DeVos as education secretary? Two scenarios.

Kary Moss, executive director of the American Civil Liberties Union of Michigan, explained the anxiety many have about DeVos as education secretary in a statement that said in part:

We strongly urge Congress to scrutinize the record of Betsy DeVos, who has been a staunch proponent of school vouchers, a misguided idea that diverts taxpayer dollars into private and parochial schools and perverts the bedrock American value of separation of church and state. She and her husband served as the primary fundraisers and engine for a Michigan ballot initiative — Kids First! Yes! Coalition that voters soundly rejected in 2000.

She has ardently supported the unlimited, unregulated growth of charter schools in Michigan, elevating for-profit schools with no consideration of the severe harm done to traditional public schools. She’s done this despite overwhelming evidence that proves that charters do no better at educating children than traditional public schools and serve only to exacerbate funding problems for cash-strapped public districts. We believe that all children have a right to a quality public education, and we fear that Betsy DeVos’ relentless advocacy of charter schools and vouchers betrays these principles.

These people that, when in power, push their religion into schools need to consider the opposite is also possible as a backlash. That after a new group is elected they will push evolution to be taught mandatory in all churches.

This is what uneducated ignoramously don't understand about life. There are consequences for your actions. When you crap in someone else's backyard then don't be surprised when you wake up to the smell of two tons of manure in yours.

They bypass that and simply try to indoctrinate society that religion is evil to shut it down.
No one wants to shut down religion. You're confusing freedom of religion- which is a founding principal of this country, with religious oppression -which is what the founders feared and fled from.

Really? You must not get out much or pay attention to current events. Google is your friend. Here is a couple of examples.

We’re putting an end to religion: Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher and...

Why Religion Must End: Interview with Sam Harris
I see how you play. You write something that implies that there is a widespread movement to do a way with religion. Then you are called on it, and you come up with three people who express that view. I'm an atheist and I believe that religion has done more harm than good in the world, but I defend the rights of religious people to take comfort in their mythology, as long as they don't expect others to go along with it and as long as they don't use it as a weapon.

They're called examples you simpleton. That's why I told you Google was your friend. I could pull up 300 examples, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to prove something you've convinced yourself isn't true. The fact is, there are people who would be overjoyed at the death of religion and support those who work at it. If the number I gave you is insufficient, set a date with Google and knock yourself out.

These people that, when in power, push their religion into schools need to consider the opposite is also possible as a backlash. That after a new group is elected they will push evolution to be taught mandatory in all churches.

This is what uneducated ignoramously don't understand about life. There are consequences for your actions. When you crap in someone else's backyard then don't be surprised when you wake up to the smell of two tons of manure in yours.

They bypass that and simply try to indoctrinate society that religion is evil to shut it down.
No one wants to shut down religion. You're confusing freedom of religion- which is a founding principal of this country, with religious oppression -which is what the founders feared and fled from.

Really? You must not get out much or pay attention to current events. Google is your friend. Here is a couple of examples.

We’re putting an end to religion: Richard Dawkins, Bill Maher and...

Why Religion Must End: Interview with Sam Harris
I see how you play. You write something that implies that there is a widespread movement to do a way with religion. Then you are called on it, and you come up with three people who express that view. I'm an atheist and I believe that religion has done more harm than good in the world, but I defend the rights of religious people to take comfort in their mythology, as long as they don't expect others to go along with it and as long as they don't use it as a weapon.

They're called examples you simpleton. That's why I told you Google was your friend. I could pull up 300 examples, but I'm not going to waste my time trying to prove something you've convinced yourself isn't true. The fact is, there are people who would be overjoyed at the death of religion and support those who work at it. If the number I gave you is insufficient, set a date with Google and knock yourself out.

The fact that you have to invoke an Ad Hominin tell me how insecure and easily threatened you are

It is also another kind of logical fallacy: A Hasty Generalization

Definition: Making assumptions about a whole group or range of cases based on a sample that is inadequate (usually because it is atypical or too small). Stereotypes about people (“librarians are shy and smart,” “wealthy people are snobs,” etc.) are a common example of the principle underlying hasty generalization

Example: “My roommate said her philosophy class was hard, and the one I’m in is hard, too. All philosophy classes must be hard!” Two people’s experiences are, in this case, not enough on which to base a conclusion.

Tip: Ask yourself what kind of “sample” you’re using: Are you relying on the opinions or experiences of just a few people, or your own experience in just a few situations? If so, consider whether you need more evidence, or perhaps a less sweeping conclusion. (Notice that in the example, the more modest conclusion “Some philosophy classes are hard for some students” would not be a hasty generalization.)

I am sure you dont mind indoctrination of social perversion, though..
Who is doing that and how sparky??

Public schools are no place to learn religion. No vouchers for faith based schools that do not meet public school requirements.

Public school requirements? What the fuck are those?
Standards!! Do you know what standards are?? Like teaching real science vs. Mythology.

Public schools are no place to learn religion. No vouchers for faith based schools that do not meet public school requirements.

Standards!! Do you know what standards are?? Like teaching real science vs. Mythology.

Like not being able to read or write after high school? Like not being able to point to Spain on a map?

Like asking them, "Who won the Civil War?" And getting either, "DUH" or "we did" as an answer

Like asking them to name 3 Founding Fathers?

What is "real science"? anyway?

Lets say a child asks a biology teacher how many sexes there are. What should she answer?

Lets say a child asks a biology teacher how many sexes there are. What should she answer?
It would depend on the age and grade level of the child.

It would depend on the age and grade level of the child.
Lol you have zero credibility on this issue.
/thread

Forum List

Back