Workers from Africa came to the US to work on Plantations.

Penelope

Diamond Member
Jul 15, 2014
Texas’s latest textbook controversy involves a high school edition of publishing giant McGraw-Hill’s new World Geography, in which a caption refers to African slaves who were forcibly brought to the Americas as “workers.” The company's CEO, David Levin, wrote a letter of apology to his employees Monday.

Snip

“The Atlantic Slave Trade between the 1500s and 1800s brought millions of workers from Africa to the southern United States to work on agricultural plantations,” the textbook caption reads. It appears on a page titled “Patterns of Immigration.”

“[N]otice the nuanced language there. Workers implies wages...yes?” Dean-Burren wrote on Facebook. The next day, she posted a video of herself flipping through the textbook. “Erasure is real y'all!!!” she wrote. That video had 1.7 million views as of Monday.

The day after she posted the video, McGraw-Hill announced it would rewrite the caption. “We believe we can do better,” read a statement posted on the company’s Facebook page.

Company Apologizes for Texas Textbook Calling Slaves 'Workers': 'We Made a Mistake'
------------------------------------------
I read also that AL older history books said the south treated slaves better than the northern slaves, maybe that is where Moore gets his stuff from.

I wonder what was taught in those southern confederate states for the last 70 years or longer,

who knows?? Anyone here?

The day after she posted the video, McGraw-Hill announced it would rewrite the caption. “We believe we can do better,” read a statement posted on the company’s Facebook page.

LOL...bet they can

Texas’s latest textbook controversy involves a high school edition of publishing giant McGraw-Hill’s new World Geography, in which a caption refers to African slaves who were forcibly brought to the Americas as “workers.” The company's CEO, David Levin, wrote a letter of apology to his employees Monday.

Snip

“The Atlantic Slave Trade between the 1500s and 1800s brought millions of workers from Africa to the southern United States to work on agricultural plantations,” the textbook caption reads. It appears on a page titled “Patterns of Immigration.”

“[N]otice the nuanced language there. Workers implies wages...yes?” Dean-Burren wrote on Facebook. The next day, she posted a video of herself flipping through the textbook. “Erasure is real y'all!!!” she wrote. That video had 1.7 million views as of Monday.

Company Apologizes for Texas Textbook Calling Slaves 'Workers': 'We Made a Mistake'
I read also that AL older history books said the south treated slaves better than the northern slaves, maybe that is where Moore gets his stuff from.

I wonder what was taught in those southern confederate states for the last 70 years or longer,

who knows?? Anyone here?

Is it possible that you have no clue as to what constitutes a self-fulfilling prophecy?

You just accused a textbook company of making a mistake and then provided proof that they admitted making a mistake. Wow! That took some heavy duty brain power to come up with how to connect those dots!

Where did Moore comment on the way slaves were treated? Is this more fake news you are generating?

Snip

who knows?? Anyone here?

Is it possible that you have no clue as to what constitutes a self-fulfilling prophecy?

You just accused a textbook company of making a mistake and then provided proof that they admitted making a mistake. Wow! That took some heavy duty brain power to come up with how to connect those dots!

Where did Moore comment on the way slaves were treated? Is this more fake news you are generating?

A deliberate mistate is not a mistake, watch the video.

Well according to him slavery was ok, you know back in the days when families were together, I also take that as "women should know their place" and take a few beatings from men. It seems he believes men can do no wrong even with underage females.

So blacks came here for work. What are they and have they been teaching those southerners.

Last edited:

Snip

who knows?? Anyone here?

Well according to him slavery was ok, you know back in the days when families were together, I also take that as "women should know their place" and take a few beatings from men. It seems he believes men can do no wrong even with underage females.

So blacks came here for work. What are they and have they been teaching those southerners.

Don't you see your problem here? You simply made all of that shit up! How dare you!

You accuse someone of doing exactly what you just did! Hypocrite!

semantics-----it is clearly an ERROR that can easily be corrected. An "error" because of the CONOTATION of "worker" as a free agent but the statement is
actually factual------"the people were brought to America (as slaves) to work

semantics-----it is clearly an ERROR that can easily be corrected. An "error" because of the CONOTATION of "worker" as a free agent but the statement is

Context is everything

Snip

who knows?? Anyone here?

Don't you see your problem here? You simply made all of that shit up! How dare you!

Are you denying he said that? even though we had slavery, in those days of slavery men were adulterers and even raped slaves, and females knew had to put up with it. Few didn't. I didn't make a word of it up.

Snip

who knows?? Anyone here?

Are you denying he said that? even though we had slavery, in those days of slavery men were adulterers and even raped slaves, and females knew had to put up with it. Few didn't. I didn't make a word of it up.

Yes you did. You claimed Moore said that, when he obviously did not.

That is the problem with you libs. You have been lied to by so many for so long, you cannot recognize even when you are lying!

It does not seem like an error

It seems like an intentional rephrasing of history

they were also forcibly sold. Weird how that part gets forgotten. Looks like you and McHraw hill have something in common :)

It does not seem like an error

It seems like an intentional rephrasing of history

could be, even likely------but in court it is simple CONJECTURE. I grew
up in a kinda "reactionary town" ----(ie sorta Nazi) It was VERY
WASPISH-------lots ot the kids actually believed that the black people who were
enslaved were "lucky" because they got to experience Christianity. For
the record-----NO BLACKS IN THAT TOWN-----and my family---being jews ---
was AN INNOVATION to which some people had objected. Yes---I am that old---
a RESTRICTED TOWN---by 'gentlemen's agreement'

In 1955 Charles Grayson Summersell, head of the History Department at the University of Alabama and who taught there between 1935 and 1978, published Alabama: A State History. This text later formed the basis for his highly-used Alabama history text Alabama History For Schools which saw 6 editions between 1957 and 1981. One can chart not only the changing interpretation of slavery through Summersell’s many editions, but also the changing attitudes of certain segments of the state’s parent’s, some of whom protested in the early 1970s to force the state to revise this text. Summersell’s early positive views on slavery eventually gave way to begrudging acceptance that slavery might not be as good for the slaves as he first asserted in the mid 1950s in the midst of the Civil Rights movement in Alabama and the nation.

A slave, wrote Summersell, “was almost always better off than free laborers, white or black, of the same period.” This is not an uncommon assertion for that time. Slavery apologists in antebellum America argued that slavery was a more benign institution than free labor life in the North. Slaveowners cared for the slaves, they asserted, in ways that employers never looked after free labor in the North. Summersell echoes that sentiment in 1957. Slaves were afforded, he continued, “the best medical care which the times could offer.” An ill slave meant a loss of productivity so the slaveowner had a vested interest in slave health, this is true. But they were not, as Summersell asserts, “considered practically a member of the family.” Because the law required slaveowners to look after the health of their slaves, writes Summersell, “slavery was the earliest form of social security in the United States.” Yes. Read that again. I’ll wait.

alabama | Uncertain Dogma

Forum List

Back