Despite the weather and a kitty monster eating machine, the garden is in my house

tinydancer

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2010
Piney
:lol:

Greetings from the land of zone 2b. I am a masochist.

I try to grow things that aren't lichens.

Who else is with me ?

I thought your longer days were great for growing things?

And...what are you trying to grow?

In all seriousness I've nailed down my lemon boys and my brandywines. Tomatoes are my fave for walking into the garden with salt and working my way thru my garden weeding and eating at the same time.

My sweet millions look like I'm going to pull them off too. I pray a lot in spring.:eusa_angel:

Last edited:
I thought your longer days were great for growing things?

And...what are you trying to grow?

Longer days but last year on July the 1 aka Canada day up here I was running a heater out to my garden shed because it hit minus 2.

I try to grow everything. First and foremost always a garden to eat out of. Second try is to bring home a harvest to can or freeze.

What I really like doing and I have a patch for this is to try to do a whole "country" in a small part my garden.

Past years, Jamaica to India. This year Greece. Awesome.

Last edited:
Ok update.

I'm getting worried. Everything is on the brink of really coming in. And I know I owe you guys pictures and I will force my husband to upload them and do the photo bucket thing a ma jig and pics of the puppy too.

Raven's killing me.:) but I'll take the puppy pain.

But last week I got a 4 note that number 4 degree celsius night. Now this is altogether too close for frost.

In freaking August.

Worse yet, the poplars are turning yellow and the sand hill cranes are not only staging this early but we saw a flock of close to 30 heading south.

These are not good signs for a northern gardener. Is anyone else in the north seeing any of these signs?

I'm in Zone 2. My seed companies try to make me feel better by making me Zone 2 a) but that boat don't float out here where winter is 10 months of the year and we have 2 months of bad freaking skating as we are miracle growing our asses off.

I made it!!!

I have lemon boys still ripening on a shelf in the kitchen I love these guys. Another year. Another garden. I cannot believe I pulled off my brandywines though.

And they were worth it. The taste is to die for. My husband ran with a Nantes variety of carrot and is ecstatic at the taste.

We pulled off corn which is a big deal with such a short growing season and pigged out for three weeks in a row. Breakfast lunch and dinner. Nothing was going to hit the freezer. Those cobs were on every plate for every meal.

The biggie of the year. No doubt about it. Scarlet Runner beans. To the max. Awesome. Beyond awesome.

I had never tried them before except as an ornamental. Talk about a producer. Winner of the "tinydancer garden award".

I'm not in your zone, TD. We're in zone 4. winter season is - mustard greens, onion, parsley, parsnip, peas, raddishes, rutabegas, spinach, winter squash, turnips, lettuce, kale, cabbage, collards, etc. This past season I canned alot of pear preserves from my Sept. pear tree, I have apple trees, both red and green apples, peach tree, pear trees, I planted an avocado tree, will have to check into the curry leaf trees - interesting.. Glad things are working out for you up there... - Jeri p.s. I am shopping for a green house around town right now- a small one ..

Last edited:
I'm not in your zone, TD. We're in zone 4. winter season is - mustard greens, onion, parsley, parsnip, peas, raddishes, rutabegas, spinach, winter squash, turnips, lettuce, kale, cabbage, collards, etc. This past season I canned alot of pear preserves from my Sept. pear tree, I have apple trees, both red and green apples, peach tree, pear trees, I planted an avocado tree, will have to check into the curry leaf trees - interesting.. Glad things are working out for you up there... - Jeri p.s. I am shopping for a green house around town right now- a small one ..

I've not been into this forum as much as I wanted to.

Every year I grumble and moan about fighting off slugs and skeeters up here, but I've actually always gotten a pretty good garden because of the long hours of sunlight and the earth is to die for. And I never give up.

I was spoiled rotten in Tennessee though.:eusa_angel: Two harvests.

So I guess nothing can compare except with exceptional hard work and a lot of prayer.

I envy your fruit trees. It's hard on them here. Basically what we have to order is siberian stock that they grow in nurseries here.

mighty impressive, td...

your working conditions are practically inconceivable to me down here in Zone 9...

btw, right now I've got satsumas out the wazoo...

if I shipped a box of 'em to you, would they be allowed past the border or would customs intercept 'em...?

mighty impressive, td...

your working conditions are practically inconceivable to me down here in Zone 9...

btw, right now I've got satsumas out the wazoo...

if I shipped a box of 'em to you, would they be allowed past the border or would customs intercept 'em...?

after having done a li'l research, it appears that I may have been able to answer my own question...

Overview - Import and Interprovincial Requirements for Fresh Fruit and Vegetables - Food - Canadian Food Inspection Agency

excerpts from the site:

Exemptions to Regulatory Requirements
There are certain products to which the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Regulations (other than the Health and Safety section) do not apply, including:
Shipments of one or more kinds of produce, consisting of not more than 15 containers and weighing, in the aggregate, not more than 250 kg.

also, under Fruits and Vegetable regulated by the Fresh Fruit and Vegetable Regulations, there are no citrus fruits listed...

so, if you'd like to have several dozen fresh Louisiana satsumas shipped to your door, lemme know...

I'll pack 'em up and send 'em off, expedited... :)

Last edited:

Forum List

Back