Desperate Americans Begin To Turn Houses in To Restaurants

george4title

Aug 2, 2010
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=90ZtwG9DVvs]YouTube - Desperate Americans Begin To Turn Houses in To Restaurants[/ame]

Welcome to the Greater Depression

As the unemployed and jobless become desperate in California many begin turning their homes into income generators. One house in particular caught my eye recently by turning their living room into a restaurant. In a sign that America is slowly becoming more like a third world country houses become weekend stores, restaurants, Medical Marijuana Collectives, day care centers and beyond. The street is telling the story of the unfolding economic collapse better than any article I can read. Unemployment and Food stamps and Welfare seem to be the lynch pins in our society on the west coast. Once government runs out fund to support these entitlements, I fear for my children's future.

Glen Beck moveover!
Here is a guy using anecdotal examples to "prove" the nation is falling to pieces even more ludicrous than you!

There was a place in Lubbock, TX several years ago that started out as a garage back in the late 50's. While the owner worked on cars, his wife made brisket sandwiches for the customers as they waited for the work to be done. The garage went out of business with the advent of the big corporation gas companies, but the customers kept coming back for the brisket sandwiches. So the owner and his wife went into the restaurant business, which thrived for well over 30 years (don't know if it's still there). They never got rid of the garage and simply converted it into a restaurant by bringing in benches but keeping all the other garage stuff in there. Back then, it was a matter of practicality. However, when I went in there, it gave it the right atmosphere. You sat on wooden picnic benches and could see the old Sunoco advertisements, old fashioned oil cans, fan belts, tools, etc. hanging on the walls. At the front of the restaurant were two old style gas pumps (the ones with the bubble tops). The only modification appeared to be a room that was added to the garage in order to seat more customers.

Here's the clincher: open only for lunch, and the only advertisement was word-of-mouth.

Funny how what's a simple matter of innovation is interpreted as desperation.

There was a place in Lubbock, TX several years ago that started out as a garage back in the late 50's. While the owner worked on cars, his wife made brisket sandwiches for the customers as they waited for the work to be done. The garage went out of business with the advent of the big corporation gas companies, but the customers kept coming back for the brisket sandwiches. So the owner and his wife went into the restaurant business, which thrived for well over 30 years (don't know if it's still there). They never got rid of the garage and simply converted it into a restaurant by bringing in benches but keeping all the other garage stuff in there. Back then, it was a matter of practicality. However, when I went in there, it gave it the right atmosphere. You sat on wooden picnic benches and could see the old Sunoco advertisements, old fashioned oil cans, fan belts, tools, etc. hanging on the walls. At the front of the restaurant were two old style gas pumps (the ones with the bubble tops). The only modification appeared to be a room that was added to the garage in order to seat more customers.

Here's the clincher: open only for lunch, and the only advertisement was word-of-mouth.

I guess it isn't there any more ?
Your masters probably shut it down due to it not having handicap access, health dept. permits, fire extinguishers and business permits/zoning/taxes/IRS filings etc...etc...
Gawd blass murka !
The land of FreeDumb !:cuckoo:

Want to hear desperation? A friend flew to Texas hoping he would land a job in the oil industry. Going on just a promise from someone he trusted, he emptied his bank account to fly out there thinking he would be hired because of his experience on the AK pipeline only to find out there was a waiting list a mile long. He had to call his parents to bus him back. His family is now living with her parents and still he has no job.

Yes I would call that desperation. And alot of Americans are feeling it because of promises and failure of the current admin and congress.

Your masters probably shut it down due to it not having handicap access, health dept. permits, fire extinguishers and business permits/zoning/taxes/IRS filings etc...etc...
Gawd blass murka !
Or some hack from the health dept like the one that closed down a 11 year old girl lemonade stand.

Way back in the Depression hit 1930s, a certain Walter Knott, in order to feed his family bought some land, and grew some berries (boysenberries to be precise)... his wife then started making the berries into jams... then they opened a restaurant in their home.

Today, that business is Knotts Berry Farm in California. It is a favorite childhood memory for many of my fellow Californians. Desperate times breeds entrepreneurship and creativity. Americans are at their best when times are hard.

Way back in the Depression hit 1930s, a certain Walter Knott, in order to feed his family bought some land, and grew some berries (boysenberries to be precise)... his wife then started making the berries into jams... then they opened a restaurant in their home.

Today, that business is Knotts Berry Farm in California. It is a favorite childhood memory for many of my fellow Californians. Desperate times breeds entrepreneurship and creativity. Americans are at their best when times are hard.
Absolutely! I grew up in So Cal and we went to Knotts many times just for the Chicken Dinners! It was always worth the wait.

My grandfathers house in San Gabriel had the attached garage converted to a storefront way back in the 30's. I guess we're headed back in that direction.

The wingnut fetish for suffering. Let's make America more like it was during the Depression so we can all have more FUN!!!!

YouTube - Desperate Americans Begin To Turn Houses in To Restaurants

As the unemployed and jobless become desperate in California many begin turning their homes into income generators. One house in particular caught my eye recently by turning their living room into a restaurant. In a sign that America is slowly becoming more like a third world country houses become weekend stores, restaurants, Medical Marijuana Collectives, day care centers and beyond. The street is telling the story of the unfolding economic collapse better than any article I can read. Unemployment and Food stamps and Welfare seem to be the lynch pins in our society on the west coast. Once government runs out fund to support these entitlements, I fear for my children's future.

thank the left, thank obie wan, it was their goal. didn't take em long either did it?

what will be interesting is when city officials catch on and then demand thier cut of the the profits for providing nothing

You can't do that nowadays in CA, because the libtards want to save the smelt and kill the farmers! No water for you!

Last edited:

Gawd blass murka !

And yet where does all our tainted food come from? Why the big agrifarms that mass produce and dictate everything you'll eat. Of course they also get subsidized by the US government, as demanded by the US Chamber of Commerce (always looking out for the corporation, never the consumer).

Gawd blass murka !

Would those be requirements of the State of Texas? Bad Texas, BAD BAD Texas. :lol:

Ben & Jerry's started in a converted garage at the corner of Winooski Avenue and College Streets in Burlington, Vermont. My home town. Sadly, a few years ago, they sold out to a conglomerate.

Funny how these people dont realise that small business and individual innovation here in America is what the BIG BOX stores helped to run out of business a few years back. Many of these people here cheered it while it happened.

The wingnut fetish for suffering. Let's make America more like it was during the Depression so we can all have more FUN!!!!

I'm actually in favor of that kind of downsizing. I've reached the point where I hardly dare eat processed food anymore because of what might be lurking in it. Plus, it's full of potentially harmful preservatives. I read somewhere recently about someone finding a package of Twinkies in someone's garage that hadn't been opened, had a sell-by date of about 12 years ago, and they were still soft. I'll take my mother's homemade donuts any day over garbage like that. She could have sold them from the back porch and bought our new school clothes every year with the profits.

YouTube - Desperate Americans Begin To Turn Houses in To Restaurants

thank the left, thank obie wan, it was their goal. didn't take em long either did it?

Yeah, their plan was a collapsing global economy all along. :cuckoo: I honestly don't think they come any dumber than you.

Forum List

Back