Describe Heaven To Me, Please

Not strange at all. I don't necessarily believe in Big Foot or the Loch Ness Monster or alien abductions or vampires, but I am interested in the lore, legends, and theories that have sprung up around all these things. And should I hear from a credible believer that I respected who had a convincing argument that such things are real or I experienced them myself, I would likely then become a believer or at least be more open to the possibility.

I don't know if an alien space craft crashed near Roswell NM more than 60 years ago, but I have talked with people who say they were there and who are quite believable. And that means I keep an open mind about it.

An open mind provides a lot of possibilities about a lot of things that otherwise won't exist for us. :)

What do you base your non-belief in the lock ness monster or big foot on, evidence perhaps? :eek:

Yes. Empirical evidence. I have not experienced seeing either nor have I ever heard or read witness from somebody I know to be believable and credible that such things exist. On the other hand there are 'photographs' showing images that have not been explained away etc., and reports of sightings so who knows? As for alien spacecraft, I have heard testimony from people who have seen such and there are hundreds of reports of people who claim to have been on board these things. That means to me that one must consider they these folks are experiencing something. But what? I have not experienced that myself and, though I have heard testimony of sightings from people who are credible and believable, I remain slightly skeptical that what they saw may not be what they think they saw. But I keep an open mind.

On the other hand I have experienced the living God and have heard witness of their experiences from people I know to be believable, so for me that one is a no brainer.

How did you experience this 'living god' (presumably a dead god is not much good to anyone :doubt:), did you see or touch him/her/it - if you say yes', I'll believe you :eusa_angel:

The problem with using the Bible to describe heaven to a non believer is that the believer can incorporate all the parables and metaphors and symobolism and imagery into a fuller concept without having to believe that yes, it is exactly like it is described in the Bible. The non believer doesn't have the advantage of the Holy Spirit to merge all that into a deeper understanding.

I tend to agree with the Trace Adkins song Hortysir posted that heaven isn't necessarily something all in the future--I think we get glimpses and experience some of it right here, right now. Also hell, whatever that may be.

Astute..but you left out this...the bible is holy and is the Word itself...and just by reading the bible, we are inviting the Holy Spirit in, and thereby gain in understanding. Reading the bible brings uderstading and the Holy Spirit's blessigs with it. You don't have to believe. If you read, the spirit comes knocking and understanding follows.

Not for everyone, Allie. For some of us, it is just a book. Parts of it are lovely -- who doesn't appreciate the beauty of Psalms? -- and parts are boring, but in the end, it is nothing but a collection of old stories. The act of reading alone doesn't magically make anyone a christian, anymore than reading the Koran magically makes anyone a Muslim, etc.

It may be your talisman, but t'aint mine.

Sorry.

Actually I think you're both right. I know people who opened the door to let God in while in the process of reading the Bible so it can happen that way. But I also accept that for some, the Bible is meaningless and just an interesting collection of ancient writings to others. I have a hard time thinking the unbeliever would be much interested in knowing God through a long boring list of 'begats' involving unpronouncable names or if you first waded in during recitations of some of the more obscure ritual law or some of the more brutal or bizarre incidents without the skill to put those into their full context.

The Bible is so complex and includes so many layers of history, law, basic instruction, poetry, metaphor, symbolism, imagery, parable, and allegory, sometimes inexpertly edited together, that it requires decades of dedicated study to be a true expert. Even then the 'experts' are not always in full agreement on the correct translation and/or interpretation of every passage.

And still the miracle is that even those without opportunity or inclination to do the hard work of dedicated Bible study can be and are blessed by just reading it as is.

What do you base your non-belief in the lock ness monster or big foot on, evidence perhaps? :eek:

Yes. Empirical evidence. I have not experienced seeing either nor have I ever heard or read witness from somebody I know to be believable and credible that such things exist. On the other hand there are 'photographs' showing images that have not been explained away etc., and reports of sightings so who knows? As for alien spacecraft, I have heard testimony from people who have seen such and there are hundreds of reports of people who claim to have been on board these things. That means to me that one must consider they these folks are experiencing something. But what? I have not experienced that myself and, though I have heard testimony of sightings from people who are credible and believable, I remain slightly skeptical that what they saw may not be what they think they saw. But I keep an open mind.

On the other hand I have experienced the living God and have heard witness of their experiences from people I know to be believable, so for me that one is a no brainer.

How did you experience this 'living god' (presumably a dead god is not much good to anyone :doubt:), did you see or touch him/her/it - if you say yes', I'll believe you :eusa_angel:

Uh huh. Sure you would believe me. :) And there's still that nice assortment of bridges to sell too. . . . .

Over a liftime there have been too many incidents to relate, but trying to explain one's relationship/experience with God is as impossible as trying to explain to somebody else what love is. Until you experience it, you simply cannot understand. Once you experience it, all or at least most doubt is removed, but still there are no words to describe it to somebody who has never experienced it.

I do believe the experience is available to all however. :)

This is hilarious. There used to be a hard right wing Christian where I work who I once asked the very same question.

He said, "Heaven is where the weather is always perfect, the streets are made of gold, the house walls are encrusted with precious gems. You can eat as much as you want whatever you want and will never get sick or fat. Every wish is fulfilled and you spend eternity praising the grace of God".

By time he finished, I had a headache.

There's worse stuff than reality shows.

At least they are funny at times (though rarely on purpose).

Games shows, televangelists, soap operas, infomercials.......

Just sayin'.

Do you have a belief in the afterlife that involves Heaven and Hell? Can you describe Heaven for me?

I was raised RCC, before 1969. Seems to me, the description we got involved a tiered arrangement of regimented groups and a lot of choral music. Sounded like about as much fun as a trip to the dentist, to be frank.

So how do you envision Heaven and why would you want to linger there for All Eternity?

Only 144,000 will go to heaven. The rest will live on a restored Earth for eternity.

Hear ye hear ye hear ye, read about it, heaven as you want it, iron clad guarantee, hear ye hear ye.

Undecided on heaven and which one you'd like? For just five small payments of 49.95 the choice is yours. Ironclad guarantee in writing and notarized. Simply email us at '[email protected]' with your specific instructions and desires. If not satisfied after dead two weeks, your money will be fully refunded. Join now, certain heavens are filling quickly.

"Go to heaven for the climate and hell for the company." Mark Twain

Will the earth dwellers have human bodies, RGS? What will prevent them from decaying? Will they age?

No more death no more disease or sickness. Jesus will be King of Earth and the 144,000 in Heaven will help him rule for God. All those Judged and found acceptable will be restored to perfect bodies.

Will the earth dwellers have human bodies, RGS? What will prevent them from decaying? Will they age?

No more death no more disease or sickness. Jesus will be King of Earth and the 144,000 in Heaven will help him rule for God. All those Judged and found acceptable will be restored to perfect bodies.

Will people remain whatever age they are?

It was a great movie, but it reveals one flaw with all these visions of Heaven. I myself am not a huge fan of the Impressionists -- too prettified for my taste -- and would find an eternity among Monet's paintings annoying.

Will people remain whatever age they are?

I think you can pick your age...and change it every other day and you can be friends with santy and the tooth fairy can fly you round heaven by the seat of your pants :eek:

's'gona be such fun :cuckoo:

I do believe in an after life and I believe there are people walking the Earth right now who have temporarily visited there. I have a long list of questions I haven't been able to answer to my satisfaction over a lifetime and that's the one thing I want to take with me when I go: that list so I can get those questions answered.

I agree that heaven is not flowing robes and floating around on clouds strumming little harps. That sounds a bit grim to me too. :)

I don't really know what to expect except that I do expect to see people I know who preceded me in death. And I am looking forward to that. And I expect to see people I have known only via the media or in history books, and I think those will be fascinating to have a conversation with. I don't what what sorts of things there will be do there but I do expect to just step from this life into that next one and live on. There will be things to see. Things to do. Things to learn. Hopefully without the negatives we have here.

Nobody who has been there reports it as an unpleasant experience in any way. No one who has been there doesn't want to return there.

:eusa_think: If any of the major religions are truth, the lives and achievements of every over-achieving type 'A' in history will have the relevance of the most miserable existence any human ever suffered through..... Why would you care about meeting a totally irrelevant Abe Lincoln? To discuss a history that no longer matters one iota?

Forum List

Back