Des Moines Register Endorses Romney...

paulitician

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2011
The Register endorsement: Mitt Romney offers a fresh economic vision

Ten months ago this newspaper endorsed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for the Republican nomination for president. An overarching consideration was which of the party’s candidates could we see occupying the White House, and there was no question that Romney was qualified for the job.

Now, in the closing days of the general election campaign, the question is which of the two contenders deserves to be the next president of the United States.

Both President Barack Obama and Governor Romney are superbly qualified. Both are graduates of the Harvard University Law School who have distinguished themselves in government, in public service and in private life. Both are devoted husbands and fathers.

American voters are deeply divided about this race. The Register’s editorial board, as it should, had a vigorous debate over this endorsement. Our discussion repeatedly circled back to the nation’s single most important challenge: pulling the economy out of the doldrums, getting more Americans back in the workforce in meaningful jobs with promising futures, and getting the federal government on a track to balance the budget in a bipartisan manner that the country demands.

Which candidate could forge the compromises in Congress to achieve these goals? When the question is framed in those terms, Mitt Romney emerges the stronger candidate.

The former governor and business executive has a strong record of achievement in both the private and the public sectors. He was an accomplished governor in a liberal state. He founded and ran a successful business that turned around failing companies. He successfully managed the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Romney has made rebuilding the economy his No. 1 campaign priority — and rightly so.

The nation has struggled to recover from recession for the past 40 months. Still, the economy is growing at an unacceptably anemic rate of around 2 percent a year and could slip back into recession depending on what happens in the European Union and China...

Read More:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...resh-economic-vision?Frontpage&nclick_check=1
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

It annoys me that the media in Iowa doesn't portray what the state more or less is. Independent and a huge third party supporter state. Unfortunately it's still more of a Ron Paul state rather than a Gary Johnson... But...

This one did kind of surprise me. I thought they would go with Obama again.
You'd think, paulitician. They may perceive the unhappiness of people who prefer a President who doesn't have a "Do not Disturb" placard on his door. That's gotten really old, even with usual liberal supporters in some media areas.

You'd think, paulitician. They may perceive the unhappiness of people who prefer a President who doesn't have a "Do not Disturb" placard on his door. That's gotten really old, even with usual liberal supporters in some media areas.

First time they've supported a Republican in 40yrs. It is big for Romney. Iowa was once a lock for Obama. But now i'm leaning towards thinking Romney will win it.

It annoys me that the media in Iowa doesn't portray what the state more or less is. Independent and a huge third party supporter state. Unfortunately it's still more of a Ron Paul state rather than a Gary Johnson... But...

Independent is a relative term. McCain threatened their corn subsidies and Iowa gave him the finger. Romney has wisely stayed away from that issue.

First time they've supported a Republican in 40yrs. It is big for Romney. Iowa was once a lock for Obama. But now i'm leaning towards thinking Romney will win it.

Nah__ It was never a lock for Obama. Yea, he got 54 percent in 08; but that was special circumstances. They are not a blue state; or even a purple state.

The Register endorsement: Mitt Romney offers a fresh economic vision

Ten months ago this newspaper endorsed former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney for the Republican nomination for president. An overarching consideration was which of the party’s candidates could we see occupying the White House, and there was no question that Romney was qualified for the job.

Now, in the closing days of the general election campaign, the question is which of the two contenders deserves to be the next president of the United States.

Both President Barack Obama and Governor Romney are superbly qualified. Both are graduates of the Harvard University Law School who have distinguished themselves in government, in public service and in private life. Both are devoted husbands and fathers.

American voters are deeply divided about this race. The Register’s editorial board, as it should, had a vigorous debate over this endorsement. Our discussion repeatedly circled back to the nation’s single most important challenge: pulling the economy out of the doldrums, getting more Americans back in the workforce in meaningful jobs with promising futures, and getting the federal government on a track to balance the budget in a bipartisan manner that the country demands.

Which candidate could forge the compromises in Congress to achieve these goals? When the question is framed in those terms, Mitt Romney emerges the stronger candidate.

The former governor and business executive has a strong record of achievement in both the private and the public sectors. He was an accomplished governor in a liberal state. He founded and ran a successful business that turned around failing companies. He successfully managed the 2002 Winter Olympics in Salt Lake City.

Romney has made rebuilding the economy his No. 1 campaign priority — and rightly so.

The nation has struggled to recover from recession for the past 40 months. Still, the economy is growing at an unacceptably anemic rate of around 2 percent a year and could slip back into recession depending on what happens in the European Union and China...

Read More:
http://www.desmoinesregister.com/ar...resh-economic-vision?Frontpage&nclick_check=1
DRUDGE REPORT 2012®

We just saw Romney tell us his economic plan in the last debate. Use borrowed American money to invest in economies and education overseas. Bring immigrants here with degrees and help them start businesses here.

For his base? Well, that would be a huge chunk of the 47%. Boy, are they gonna be surprised.

Nah__ It was never a lock for Obama. Yea, he got 54 percent in 08; but that was special circumstances. They are not a blue state; or even a purple state.

Yeah, the Des Moines Register Endorsement does help Romney. It could very well put him over the top.

Yeah, it's pretty big for Romney. He is on a roll.
I think we should impeach the next president in the next two years if they don't balance the books. Rather than four.

I hear ya, but it's not an Impeachable offense.
o.0

Why not? It's my understanding we can impeach for any damn reason we want.... Through our representatives of course.

With that said though... I do see a silver lining in this. I mean it's finally come to pass that a christian won't be president. I mean first it's a black guy... Then it's a guy that isn't even christian. Socially forward... If backward in every other way beside that.

I think we should impeach the next president in the next two years if they don't balance the books. Rather than four.

I hear ya, but it's not an Impeachable offense.
o.0

Why not? It's my understanding we can impeach for any damn reason we want.... Through our representatives of course.

With that said though... I do see a silver lining in this. I mean it's finally come to pass that a christian won't be president. I mean first it's a black guy... Then it's a guy that isn't even christian. Socially forward... If backward in every other way beside that.

I absolutely understand your frustration, but it's just not an Impeachable offense. As for the rest of your reply, i think you're better than that.

Independent is a relative term. McCain threatened their corn subsidies and Iowa gave him the finger. Romney has wisely stayed away from that issue.
Ron Paul pretty much did the same... And we still wanted to shake his hand. Gary Johnson hasn't said anything that I'm aware of on subsidies in Iowa... But I doubt it's much different than Ron Paul...

Forum List

Back