Denver gets firsthand knowledge of SMART technology...

Billy_Bob

Diamond Member
Sep 4, 2014
Top Of The Great Divide
Remember the outrage by meter readers when the power company put in smart metering devices to read your meter remotely? Did you know they can disconnect your home from power too? No need to send out a lineman to your home to remove the meter any longer. Money saving for the company but power the government now controls.

Remember the rage of smart thermostats being able to reduce your energy usage while you are away? These too can be controlled by the government, locking you out.. Medical problems?? So what, we know what's best for you..

Well people in Denver just got shown what they can do when the government wants to reduce the power load... they can take control of your home. IF they want to change the temperature in your home, they can do it with impunity. IF your social credit score isn't right in their opinion, they can turn off the power to your home. What can go wrong in the name of Social Justice, or any other made-up emergency they can contrive...

Does anyone else see this intrusion into your home as problematic?

Last edited:
Remember the outrage by meter readers when the power company put in smart metering devices to read your meter remotely? Did you know they can disconnect your home from power too? No need to send out a lineman to your home to remove the meter any longer. Money saving for the company but power the government now controls.

Remember the rage of smart thermostats being able to reduce your energy usage while you are away? These too can be controlled by the government, locking you out.. Medical problems?? So what, we know what's best for you..

Well people in Denver just got shown what they can do when the government wants to reduce the power load... they can take control of your home. IF they want to change the temperature in your home, they can do it with impunity. IF your social credit score isn't right in their opinion, they can turn off the power to your home. What can go wrong in the name of Social Justice, or any made up emergency they can contrive...

Funny. They don't read the fine print...lolol

Soon we'll have to count the squares to wipe our asses and get shot if we use the roll up before time

Well people in Denver just got shown what they can do when the government wants to reduce the power load... they can take control of your home. IF they want to change the temperature in your home, they can do it with impunity. IF your social credit score isn't right in their opinion, they can turn off the power to your home. What can go wrong in the name of Social Justice, or any made up emergency they can contrive...

I see this as allowing the power company to control your thermostat in an emergency in exchange for a $100 credit to your power bill and an additional $25 credit for every year you stay on the program.

The program is called the AC Rewards Program. And the customer has to voluntarily sign up for it. And they are told what will happen.

And the government didn't do it. Xcel Energy did it because of high temps creating a strain on the system after a unit at a power plant went offline.

I see this as allowing the power company to control your thermostat in an emergency in exchange for a $100 credit to your power bill and an additional $25 credit for every year you stay on the program.

The program is called the AC Rewards Program. And the customer has to voluntarily sign up for it. And they are told what will happen.
It doesn't matter... The smart tech allows the power company to take control of it and the government is now placing both feet into your home. IF you do not have a smart thermostat, they can simply cut off the power. If they think your using more power than you should be allotted, off goes the power.

The incremental intrusions have begun... And Denver just sent up the trial balloon....

It doesn't matter... The smart tech allows the power company to take control of it and the government is now placing both feet into your home. IF you do not have a smart thermostat, they can simply cut off the power. If they think your using more power than you should be allotted, off goes the power.

The incremental intrusions have begun... And Denver just sent up the trial balloon....

Has anyone had their power turned off because the gov't thought they were using too much power? I haven't heard of it happening.

And yes, it DOES matter. If you sign up for a program where they TELL you that they will take control of your thermostat, then don't get pissed when they take control of your thermostat.

This thread is about the potential for abuse...

Potential for abuse? When they TELL you what they will do, and then they do it? The thread is about selling out control of your own thermostat for a $100 credit on your bill.

I signed up for something similar.

Some people really need AC for health reasons. I don't. I'll accept being uncomfortable so the people who really need it can keep their AC going.

As far as shutting off power goes ... I don't see how it matters, whether it's done in-person or remotely. The power company isn't going to say "oh, it's too much trouble to send someone out, so we won't disconnect them."

Smart thermostat? No. My simple programmable thermostat does just fine. It's not the government I worry about, it's others. In general, having a hackable house is a bad idea.

Well people in Denver just got shown what they can do when the government wants to reduce the power load... they can take control of your home. IF they want to change the temperature in your home, they can do it with impunity. IF your social credit score isn't right in their opinion, they can turn off the power to your home. What can go wrong in the name of Social Justice, or any other made-up emergency they can contrive...

In my area they cut you off at the appointed time and then if you have not come in and paid in 72 hours, they send someone out to pull the meter off the wall. Has been that way for the decade or so since we switched to them. On the plus side, they can monitor outages in real time instead of having to wait for people to call in.

Has anyone had their power turned off because the gov't thought they were using too much power? I haven't heard of it happening.

And yes, it DOES matter. If you sign up for a program where they TELL you that they will take control of your thermostat, then don't get pissed when they take control of your thermostat.
Why are you sugar coating the abuse that is coming whether or not you want it. Biden has proven they will abuse every level of government giving them this access is sheer stupidity.

Why are you sugar coating the abuse that is coming whether or not you want it. Biden has proven they will abuse every level of government giving them this access is sheer stupidity.
You are not reading what Winterborn has provided. Are you a freaking snowflake, blaming people for something you have to volunteer for? If it was mandated, you might have a point. Until then, you are pissing up a rope.

I am not sugar coating anything. If you want to rant about gov't abuse, the do it. This is not the gov't.

Giving them the ability to control your thermostat is crazy. But all 22,000 of those people did GIVE Xcel Energy the ability to do just that. All for $100 credit on their bill.

Soon we'll have to count the squares to wipe our asses and get shot if we use the roll up before time
toilet-paper-police.jpg

When the covid panic hit in 2020, and toilet paper was scarce, I bought and installed 2 bidet-like things that go under the toilet seat.

Unlike a real bidet, it runs strictly on cold water, so it is not my ideal choice. But it beats a Sear & Roebuck Catalog.

And the government didn't do it. Xcel Energy did it because of high temps creating a strain on the system after a unit at a power plant went offline.

You mean you're seeing what's actually happening and not turning it into some hyperbolic situation to prove the "other side" is Satan incarnate?

That's so 2015.

I see it as silly considering it will take you 17 years to save as little as $500.
Otherwise ... This is what you need when the power company fails to provide the service you have agreed upon.
(two if you are planning on running the central air in a large house)

1662385116733.png

I see it as silly considering it will take you 17 years to save as little as $500.
Otherwise ... This is what you need when the power company fails to provide the service you have agreed upon.
(two if you are planning on running the central air in a large house)

View attachment 691953
Where are you getting the fuel for that?

Where are you getting the fuel for that?

The Generacs at my house are fueled by a tank onsite and will run off natural gas or propane.
Natural gas is abundant in my region and services are readily available.

Really, the only drawback is that my place tends to resemble a refugee camp,
if bad winter storms or a hurricane wipe out general services for an extended period.
Friends and neighbors jokingly call my place "The Compound" when the power goes out for more than a little while.

They are "stand-by" generators and automatically cut on and off as needed.
You don't even need a tank if your house has a natural gas line run to it.

Last edited:

The Generacs at my house are fueled by a tank onsite and will run off natural gas or propane.
Natural gas is abundant in my region and services are readily available.

Really, the only drawback is that my place tends to resemble a refugee camp,
if bad winter storms or a hurricane wipe out general services for an extended period.
Friends and neighbors jokingly call my place "The Compound" when the power goes out for more than a little while.

They are "stand-by" generators and automatically cut on and off as needed.
You don't even need a tank if your house has a natural gas line run to it.

They typically shut off the gas during hurricanes

Forum List

Back