Democrats' Wisconsin Worry

Scott Walker Recall Attempt Worries Some Democrats - WSJ.com

With little more than two weeks until Wisconsin's gubernatorial recall election, some Democratic and union officials quietly are expressing fears that they have picked a fight they won't win and that could leave lingering injuries.

Over the weekend, Wisconsin's largest newspaper, the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel, backed Mr. Walker in the recall election. The paper called Mr. Walker's move to limit public-employee bargaining rights "an overreach of political power," but said it "is simply not enough to justify a vote against the governor."

But the national party turned down Wisconsin Democrats' request for $500,000, one party official said.

Top Democrats now say that when labor groups first raised the specter of a recall, the party's officials urged their allies in Wisconsin to reconsider. "We told them it was a bad, bad, bad idea," one Democratic official said.

A union official said both the Democratic National Committee and the Obama campaign expressed reservations. "I don't know that anyone was enthusiastic about it over there," the union official said.

Walker will win.

I think he's up by 12 points now..

Scott Walker Recall Attempt Worries Some Democrats - WSJ.com

With little more than two weeks until Wisconsin's gubernatorial recall election, some Democratic and union officials quietly are expressing fears that they have picked a fight they won't win and that could leave lingering injuries.

Top Democrats now say that when labor groups first raised the specter of a recall, the party's officials urged their allies in Wisconsin to reconsider. "We told them it was a bad, bad, bad idea," one Democratic official said.

A union official said both the Democratic National Committee and the Obama campaign expressed reservations. "I don't know that anyone was enthusiastic about it over there," the union official said.

Walker will win.

I think he's up by 12 points now..

Nope. Depending on the poll, he's up by 3-7 points.

This may be a crazy question, but don't political organizations generally conduct a little due diligence before they launch a campaign -- especially a recall campaign that's essentially based on one issue -- that, if they lose, would bite them square on the ass? Not only THEIR ass, but others' too?

We're in a freakin' shit hole economy right now, and public union pensions are very rich and simply unsustainable. When the public sees what these taxpayer-funded pensions are like, what makes the Democrats think we're all just going to fall in line?

Whose idea was this recall, JP Morgan?

Nope. Depending on the poll, he's up by 3-7 points.

Fuck polls...

There is no possible way Walker is being recalled...

I'm from northern Illinois and I can tell you those in Wisconsin who support Walker are taking a stand...

There is a big Walker support movement here where I live - my libertarian chapter certainly is in full support, as are the brothers/sisters up in Wisconsin...

This may be a crazy question, but don't political organizations generally conduct a little due diligence before they launch a campaign -- especially a recall campaign that's essentially based on one issue -- that, if they lose, would bite them square on the ass? Not only THEIR ass, but others' too?

We're in a freakin' shit hole economy right now, and public union pensions are very rich and simply unsustainable. When the public sees what these taxpayer-funded pensions are like, what makes the Democrats think we're all just going to fall in line?

Update: Huffington Post is saying that an "internal Dem poll" is showing a dead heat after some "John Doe scandal" (?) came out: Scott Walker Recall: Dem's Internal Poll Shows Dead Heat, Growing Awareness Of 'John Doe' Probe

Are "internal" polls more accurate than regular public polls?

Update: Huffington Post is saying that an "internal Dem poll" is showing a dead heat after some "John Doe scandal" (?) came out: Scott Walker Recall: Dem's Internal Poll Shows Dead Heat, Growing Awareness Of 'John Doe' Probe

Are "internal" polls more accurate than regular public polls?

Probably less. The public pollsters have it down pretty well.
As to your question, the unions saw thousands of people occupying the capitol and figured it was time to strike. Too bad they were counting on student, a notoriously fickle crowd. And also the economy was much worse in WI when they got all this going. Probably if they had to decide today they wouldn't do it. But Walker's policies worked, which they didnt count on.

....As to your question, the unions saw thousands of people occupying the capitol and figured it was time to strike. Too bad they were counting on student, a notoriously fickle crowd. And also the economy was much worse in WI when they got all this going. Probably if they had to decide today they wouldn't do it. But Walker's policies worked, which they didnt count on.
Actually Rabbi, if they did, they are even dumber than I thought. Cause the VAST MAJORITY of those thousands of people occupying the capitol were BUSSED IN by the unions!

The students just joined in after a while cause their teachers were...and that's what children do. ;~)

So I hope you are right. An extremely STUPID enemy is a LOT easier to beat! ;~)

Of course...it's also extremely concerning since they were mostly from the teacher's union...and THOSE jackwagons are teaching our kids! ;~0

Last edited:
If they weren't worried before, they better be outright panicked now after Barrett's dismal debate performance. Granted I didn't hear all of it, but when he starts out with baldfaced lies and distortions... it's not gonna get better easily.

"Well you agreed with the bad job numbers before..."
"That was before the other 93% of the businesses reported in. Till then it's what we had to go on. NOW we have the real numbers, dumbass."

Summation of the first 10 minutes of actual debate after opening statements and Barrett repeating most of his opening statement in answer.

Last edited:
Your post is a fail linguistically, historically, legally, and practically.
Congratulations.

And thanks for pointing my linguistic, historic, legal and practical errors individually,,,,oh that's right you didn't. :confused:

Gawd you need it spelled out for you.
1) Linguistically. You mean "beliefs", not "ideologies." While you might mean the libertarian ideology, the conservative ideology, and the social conservative ideology, probably you just mean the belief that corporations have the protection of the 1A in political matters. So you meant belief/beliefs, but ideologies sounded better. Except it doesn't. Fail.
The scenario you are referring to is a scenario that is directed at true ideologies, the Democratic and Republican Parties.
2)Historically. The idea that corporations are legal people is way older than Citizens. It goes back to the Taft Court, with roots older than that.
You are right that the Supreme Court decided that corporations are people. They did so with their ruling with Santa Clara County v. Southern Pacific Railroad in 1886.
3) Legal. The Supreme Court of the U.S. has held that corporations, which are groups of people, hold the same rights in free speech as individual people. That is the law of the land.
See my above comment
4) PPratically. You write that ordinary people are hurt. I tis the exact opposite. I don't have $5M to buy advertising to influence views. Neither does my neighbor. But we can band together, form a corporation, raise money and influence views that way. and that is exactly what Citizens United is--a group of individuals who by themselves could never get the influence they do as a group.
I disagree. Because of Big Money and that fact that our elected officials spend so much time raising camp again funds, they listen to their Big Money donors before the constituents.
Ryan's budget is a clear example, it favors the wealthy and corporations more so than ordinary working Americans.

Last edited:
Poll Finds Support for Walker's Wisconsin Reforms

5/25/12 By EMILY EKINS

---

The Reason-Rupe poll finds voters overwhelmingly support many of the key changes Gov. Walker and the legislature implemented on public sector pensions and health care last year. Reason-Rupe finds 72 percent favor the change requiring public sector workers to increase their pension contributions from less than 1 percent to 6 percent of their salaries. And 71 percent favor making government employees pay 12 percent of their own health care premiums instead of the previous 6 percent.

Taxpayers actually wish state lawmakers had cast an even larger net with their reforms. Police and firefighters were exempted from the pension and health care adjustments but 57 percent of taxpayers say they should not have been.

---
Poll Finds Support for Walker's Wisconsin Reforms - WSJ.com

Forum List

Back