Democrats Are No Longer the Racist Party – If They Ever Really Were

Tell it to Jimmy Carter.

650px-1976_Electoral_College_Map.png

No need to

1964 presidential candidate Barry Goldwater won his home state of Arizona and five states in the Deep South, depicted in red. The Southern states, traditionally Democratic up to that time, voted Republican primarily as a statement of opposition to the Civil Rights Act, which had been passed in Congress earlier that year. Capturing 61.1% of the popular vote and 486 electors, Johnson won in a landslide.
Many of the states' rights Democrats were attracted to the 1964 presidential campaignof conservative Republican Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona. Goldwater was notably more conservative than previous Republican nominees, such as President Eisenhower. Goldwater's principal opponent in the primary election, Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York, was widely seen as representing the more moderate, pro-Civil Rights Act, Northern wing of the party (see Rockefeller Republicanand Goldwater Republican).[36]

In the 1964 presidential election, Goldwater ran a conservative campaign that broadly opposed strong action by the federal government. Although he had supported all previous federal civil rights legislation, Goldwater decided to oppose the Civil Rights Act.[37] He believed that this act was an intrusion of the federal government into the affairs of state; and second, that the Act interfered with the rights of private persons to do business, or not, with whomever they chose, even if the choice is based on racial discrimination.

Goldwater's position appealed to white Southern Democrats and Goldwater was the first Republican presidential candidate since Reconstruction to win the electoral votes of the Deep South states (Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina). Outside the South, Goldwater's negative vote on the Civil Rights Act proved devastating to his campaign.

"Although he had supported all previous federal civil rights legislation, Goldwater decided to oppose the Civil Rights Act.[37] He believed that this act was an intrusion of the federal government into the affairs of state; and second, that the Act interfered with the rights of private persons to do business, or not, with whomever they chose, even if the choice is based on racial discrimination."

Correct.

His campaign platform did NOT represent any repudiation of the Civil Rights that the GOP had been at the forefront of.

And later on, in 1976, Jimmy Carter, running as a by then, pro civil rights Democrat, swept the South.

Disproving the idea that the SOuth was flipped by Nixon's mythical "Southern Strategy".

It disproves nothing in terms of why the southern democrats became republicans.

Elections are won and lost based on party platforms from election to election.

Carter promptly lost every state in the south except for 2 in 1980.

The myth of the Southern Strategy is that the Southern Democrats became republicans because their racism was pandered to by Nixon. And by every gop candidate since then, keeping the South GOP.

Thus Carter's win, shows that that is false.

That, as you said, "Elections are won and lost based on party platforms from election to election."

Carter certainly did not run on a racist platform. ANd yet he won the South.

That is the opposite of what the Southern Strategy claims.

Carter ran on a platform that blocked the Southern Strategy for ONE election cycle. That is obvious.

His win in 1976 did not disprove what happened 8 years prior in 1968.

Why did James Earl Carter win the 1976 presidential election?

How did Carter supposedly "block" the supposed "Southern Strategy"?

No need to

1964 presidential candidate Barry Goldwater won his home state of Arizona and five states in the Deep South, depicted in red. The Southern states, traditionally Democratic up to that time, voted Republican primarily as a statement of opposition to the Civil Rights Act, which had been passed in Congress earlier that year. Capturing 61.1% of the popular vote and 486 electors, Johnson won in a landslide.
Many of the states' rights Democrats were attracted to the 1964 presidential campaignof conservative Republican Senator Barry Goldwater of Arizona. Goldwater was notably more conservative than previous Republican nominees, such as President Eisenhower. Goldwater's principal opponent in the primary election, Governor Nelson Rockefeller of New York, was widely seen as representing the more moderate, pro-Civil Rights Act, Northern wing of the party (see Rockefeller Republicanand Goldwater Republican).[36]

In the 1964 presidential election, Goldwater ran a conservative campaign that broadly opposed strong action by the federal government. Although he had supported all previous federal civil rights legislation, Goldwater decided to oppose the Civil Rights Act.[37] He believed that this act was an intrusion of the federal government into the affairs of state; and second, that the Act interfered with the rights of private persons to do business, or not, with whomever they chose, even if the choice is based on racial discrimination.

Goldwater's position appealed to white Southern Democrats and Goldwater was the first Republican presidential candidate since Reconstruction to win the electoral votes of the Deep South states (Louisiana, Georgia, Alabama, Mississippi and South Carolina). Outside the South, Goldwater's negative vote on the Civil Rights Act proved devastating to his campaign.

"Although he had supported all previous federal civil rights legislation, Goldwater decided to oppose the Civil Rights Act.[37] He believed that this act was an intrusion of the federal government into the affairs of state; and second, that the Act interfered with the rights of private persons to do business, or not, with whomever they chose, even if the choice is based on racial discrimination."

Correct.

His campaign platform did NOT represent any repudiation of the Civil Rights that the GOP had been at the forefront of.

And later on, in 1976, Jimmy Carter, running as a by then, pro civil rights Democrat, swept the South.

Disproving the idea that the SOuth was flipped by Nixon's mythical "Southern Strategy".

The myth of the Southern Strategy is that the Southern Democrats became republicans because their racism was pandered to by Nixon. And by every gop candidate since then, keeping the South GOP.

That, as you said, "Elections are won and lost based on party platforms from election to election."

Carter ran on a platform that blocked the Southern Strategy for ONE election cycle. That is obvious.

Read the link attached to the post.

Correct.

I skimmed the first few paragraphs, and I hope you appreciate the extra effort on my part.

I'm not sure what I was supposed to take from it.

Carter won. He was not racist. He did not run a racist campaign.

I've never seen any historical indication that this caused him any problem(s) in the south, either in the primaries or in the General election.

It seems that the SOuth of 1976, just wasn't too concerned about race. It was not an issue.

Which runs counter to what the Myth of the Southern Strategy claims.

I skimmed the first few paragraphs, and I hope you appreciate the extra effort on my part.

I've never seen any historical indication that this caused him any problem(s) in the south, either in the primaries or in the General election.

It seems that the SOuth of 1976, just wasn't too concerned about race. It was not an issue.

There is a lot more information than just a few paragraphs there that explains how Carter overcame the southern strategy, and reading that more thoroughly may lead to seeking more information.

Obviously, Nixon being as corrupt as he was, and then being pardoned by Ford did not help the Republican party in the 1976 election.

Even a racist platform during that era took a backseat to Nixon's dishonesty.
Carter was the anti Nixon.

That fact is available to read up on in many different historical accountings of how Carter won back the south, in the 1976 election.

Just saying that the southern strategy was "mythical" does not make it so. There is nothing out there that confirms it to be mythical except a few one sided opinions and the need of some to edit the legacy of the southern states.

Last edited:

There is a lot more information than just a few paragraphs that explains how Carter overcame the southern strategy.

Obviously, Nixon being as corrupt as he was, and then being pardoned by Ford did not help the Republican party in the 1976 election.

Even a racist platform during that era took a backseat to Nixon's dishonesty. Carter was the anti Nixon.

That fact is available to read up on in many different historical accountings of how Carter won back the south.

Just saying that the southern strategy was "mythical" does not make it so. There us nothing out there that confirms it to be mythical except a few one sided opinions not any facts.

Carter was a

Sure. Nixon and Watergate was huge. Naturally.

What racist platform?

Carter won in the after math of Water gate. He was a southern himself, with a military background and appealed to the religious voters with his personal faith.

It seems that race was not an issue. Carter was well know as Governor to be pro civil rights.

Your words.

"Elections are won and lost based on party platforms from election to election."

I agree with you on that.

The idea that a long running strategy of appealing to "racists" with "code words" or some such shit, has driven the voting of the SOuth for generations, AND NOT THE PARTY PLATFORMS of each election,

is, imo, utter bullshit.

Correll, just shut up and face he fact your party is the party of racists and racism. You are a example of what the republican party today represents.
Psychosis is characterized by an impaired relationship with reality. Apparently you suffer from this condition. Specifically Delusional disorder. A person experiencing delusional disorder strongly believes in things that aren’t real. Your posts are evidence of this. You may want to check your health insurance to see if your condition is covered then go seek the appropriate medical help.

Impaired relationship with reality?

Like claiming that the Nixon flipped the South to REpublcian with an EVUL strategy of appealing to racism,

yet knowing that pro rights JIMMY CARTER won the entire south just a few years later, with no real problem over his history of being pro civil rights.

You know, now that I think about it, Bill Clinton didn't do to badly in the South either.

electoral-map-1992-clinton-vs-bush-picture.jpg

You posted a wall of partisan bullshit, that no reasonable person would wade though.

I called on your bullshit in the first couple sentences, and later where you actually mentioned the common lib lie about the Southern Strategy.

If you have something "better" to be crushed up like a bug and thrown into your face,

post it.

CONCISELY.

the dems pissed all over southern white people, what did the dems expect? Now they are whining about it?
No, they "pissed all over" southern whites that adhere to the ideology that whites are to be placed on a pedestal. As far as I'm concerned, they can be pissed on until the end of time.

I'm going to assume that you are of the melanin persuasion.

In that case that melanin sure is something else as it bestows on its owner the ability to read white people's minds.

You know what happens when one assumes.

....is that the same arrogance white consevatives have to be able to know what's best for blacks?

You probably don’t acknowledge your own bigotry and racism, huh?

There is none to acknowledge.

Stacey Abrams Wins Georgia Democratic Primary for Governor, Making History

AAxFt0O.img

Georgia Democrats selected the first black woman to be a major party nominee for governor in the United States on Tuesday, choosing Stacey Abrams, a liberal former state house leader, who will test just how much the state’s traditionally conservative politics are shifting.

I have not seen this in the republican party,

Correll, just shut up and face he fact your party is the party of racists and racism. You are a example of what the republican party today represents.
Psychosis is characterized by an impaired relationship with reality. Apparently you suffer from this condition. Specifically Delusional disorder. A person experiencing delusional disorder strongly believes in things that aren’t real. Your posts are evidence of this. You may want to check your health insurance to see if your condition is covered then go seek the appropriate medical help.

here are a list of racist Dem voters for your edification
NOI
NBPP
NAACP
Sharpton
Jesse
Maxine
Conyers
the Obamas
shall I continue?

AAxFt0O.img

Georgia Democrats selected the first black woman to be a major party nominee for governor in the United States on Tuesday, choosing Stacey Abrams, a liberal former state house leader, who will test just how much the state’s traditionally conservative politics are shifting.

You never will.

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

I hope she gets her ass kicked.

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

Obviously YOU "give a fuck". Because you wasted your time pointing out that you don't.

• Thanks
Reactions: IM2

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

Obviously YOU "give a fuck". Because you wasted your time pointing out that you don't.

I don't give a fuck about her being the first black whatever.

I do care about the way such obsession with race is tearing this nation apart.

I do hope she gets her ass kicked.

here are a list of racist Dem voters for your edification
NOI
NBPP
NAACP
Sharpton
Jesse
Maxine
Conyers
the Obamas
shall I continue?

None of these are racists.

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

"Obsession with race"?

WTF are you smoking? It has not been that long ago that she could not even get served in a public establishment there.

Other races and genders are frequently celebrated for being "the first Asian, Hispanic, and female"achievers of anything, you racist fuck.

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

"Obsession with race"?

WTF are you smoking? It has not been that long ago that she could not even get served in a public establishment there.

Other races and genders are frequently celebrated for being "the first Asian, Hispanic, and female"achievers of anything, you racist fuck.

HOw old is she? Was she even alive when "she" could not get served?

You calling me a "racist" is just you admitting that you lose the argument.

And that you are an asshole.

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

"Obsession with race"?

Correll needs to shut the fuck up. This nation is built on and has maintained a system based on the white racist obsession with race.

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

AAxFt0O.img

Who gives a fuck?

"Obsession with race"?

Correll needs to shut the fuck up. This nation is built on and has maintained a system based on the white racist obsession with race.

I, and people like me, will always be here. We will call you and people like you, on your racist bullshit.

I do not care if she is the first black whatever.

Few things annoy me more than when people who want to stick a thumb in the eye of Democrats resort to tactics such as pointing out they founded the Ku Klux Klan or pushed through Jim Crow laws following the Civil War.

Political parties retool and reboot all the time, here and everywhere else in the world down through history.
Dems in the East, West and North disowned the bigoted Southern Democrats in the early 1960's.
Nixon put the final nail in the coffin with his Southern Strategy, which turned all those Southern Dems into Republicans.
Together with fundamentalist Right Wing Christian extremists, they now dominate the GOP.

Case closed.
And now Democrats are running right wing black supremacists and appealing to right wing Muslim extremists, while Republicans and other traditionally right wing parties are campaigning to preserve the liberal values of the west.

King me, moron.

Forum List

Back