Democrats admit that the Public Option will lead to Single Payer government run care

PLYMCO_PILGRIM

Gold Member
Jul 3, 2009
America's Home Town
I think a public option will lead to nationalized health care (single payer health care) but it is not nationalized health care at its outset

Many democrats, including those in Obama's administration agree
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndStT6c93rc]YouTube - Proof Positive the Public Option Will Lead to Single Payer[/ame]

My own democrat congressman also agrees
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f3BS4C9el98]YouTube - Single Payer Action Confronts Barney Frank[/ame]

And so does President Obama

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p-bY92mcOdk]YouTube - SHOCK UNCOVERED: Obama IN HIS OWN WORDS saying His Health Care Plan will ELIMINATE private insurance[/ame][/QUOTE]

Yes Pilgrim, certainly people who want "Single Payer" feel that showing people how excellent a public option is would be a strong step towards getting what they want.

But that doesn't mean that a public option is just a means to an end.

We have two diametrically opposed sides here.

One side wants single payer, and the other side wants nothing at all. So, the public option is a compromise.

Since Republicans are so convinced that a Single Payer option would be so horrible, then they should be all for a Public Option, so they can show everyone what a terrible idea a Single Payer plan would be.

Or are they afraid that people would like a government-run plan too much?

Yes Pilgrim, certainly people who want "Single Payer" feel that showing people how excellent a public option is would be a strong step towards getting what they want.

One side wants single payer, and the other side wants nothing at all. So, the public option is a compromise.

Since Republicans are so convinced that a Single Payer option would be so horrible, then they should be all for a Public Option, so they can show everyone what a terrible idea a Single Payer plan would be.

However, Obama and those he surrounds himself with have stated that a Public Option is the means to that end.

Its in those videos in their own words.

this will not improve healthcare.....

the number of doctors will not increase nor will their ability

the number of nurses will not increase nor will their ability

the number of hospitals and clinics will not increas nor will the technology

no money is being directed at those three components

it is insurance reform pure and simple.....

the government will expand its insurance system adding the general population to medicare and medicade ....

thus:

somewhere around 30-40 million people will now seek helathcare from a medical system that once served what 150-200 million people .....

you thought your medical care sucked before...

an if the government wants to do this....why not just open up medicare and medicade to the uninsured population....

Last edited:
It all boils down to who do you trust more, the government or an insurance company.

They are affraid of being wrong.. Again.. Like they have been wrong about everything else..

They believe and listen to the scare tactics put out by the insurance companies.. Even though there was never a section in the bill that could even be close to a death panel.. The section that was targetsd was put on the bill by a republican from Georgia..

It simply end of life coverage.. Or the ability to have a meeting with a doctor, an attorney or both to decide how you want things handled would be covered.. It is an exellent idea... I am sure all republicans want to avoid being in the same position as Teri Schiavo..

Do you want to be kept alive when you are brain dead or can someone turn off the machines and let you rest?

It allows you to also name the person that would make this choices for you if you can't.. Like in my case.. My wife knows my wishes.. She is in charge if I can't do it myself..

I fail to see how this can be called a death panel? Nobody is being killed here.. But that is how republicans and all their ignorant wisdom chose to portray it to the public.. Anyone with the IQ of 4 or more was able to see through it as a lie and a sad sad joke..

It all boils down to who do you trust more, the government or an insurance company.

I trust the government.. Them I can fire if they are doing a bad job.. Lets see you all fire the CEO of United Health care!! I want his job!! He makes $102,000 dollars an hour!! Who wouldn't love his job?? Except for the fact that he makes that money killing americans.. Well.. Maybe not then.. Getting paid to kill americans.. North Korea should hire this guy..

Not at first no, but it will in the long term.

Again, it will in the long term

Well this is simply not true as there will be more money for research and new hospitals will be built. There will be more money to build them as well..

Another false statement from someone who doesn't know what they are talking about..

The CEO of United Healthcare makes 102,000 dollars an our.. We don't need insurance reform.. We need to shut it down..

the government will expand its insurance system adding the general population to medicare and medicade ....

A step in the right direction but not the end solution..

thus:

somewhere around 30-40 million people will now seek helathcare from a medical system that once served what 150-200 million people .....

an if the government wants to do this....why not just open up medicare and medicade to the uninsured population....

Over all your post is another uninformed scare tactic.. The isurance companies would be proud of you this day..

In the first year or two, things would be hectic in hospitals.. But as time went on, new hospitals would be built and mrore and more Doctors would be hired as would Nurses.. This won't happen over night, but it will happen.. 3 of the hospitals in my area have recently expaned just because of population growth.. So it will happen..

Insurance companies simply need to be bitch slapped.. I see no other option than to simply kicking them out of health care..

Look at it this way.. They will still get 50% of the primiums for flood insurance, even though FEMA writes the policy.. Nice, 40 billion a year for doing nothing but selling a policy and they don't have to do anything..

thus:

Manu, are just stupid? Of course we will bring in doctors and nurses and health care paraprofessionals as our schools ramp up, as we bring Canadians and Mexicans and Filipinos and anyone who is qualified to broaden and better our health care system. Use the brain God gave you, please.

Last edited:
However, Obama and those he surrounds himself with have stated that a Public Option is the means to that end.

But that's because they believe the "Public Option" will be so successful, that it will everyone how good single payer would be. Like a test run.

If Republicans are right, and a Single Payer system is as awful as they claim, then the test run willl show everyone how bad it is...

Right?

Choice and competition....... lather, rinse, repeat

The Public Option of course, being a choice to join the rest of the competition.

The ONLY way a Public Option could turn into a single payer system is if the option is so spectacularly successful that everyone demands they change the law again.

Last edited:

But that's because they believe the "Public Option" will be so successful, that it will everyone how good single payer would be. Like a test run.

If Republicans are right, and a Single Payer system is as awful as they claim, then the test run willl show everyone how bad it is...

Right?

Running your car into a telephone pole at 50 mph to see if the air bag works might be a neat idea, but most are smart enough not to try it just to show whether it's a good idea ........

Right?

Running your car into a telephone pole at 50 mph to see if the air bag works might be a neat idea, but most are smart enough not to try it just to show whether it's a good idea ........

That scenario is as likely to happen as crashing the earth deliberately into the sun.

Start discussing this intelligently, please.

The GOP is terrified that public option will be successfully spectacular. They should be terrified, yes, they should.

Right?

Actually that is what crash dummies and labs are for.. Can you at least try to be intelligent?? Or is this willfull ignorance??

You are absolutely wrong with your statement that we want nothing at all. We all agree that there needs to be health care reform. I'ts how you get there that counts.

We want.
1. Tort reform.
2. Health savings plans- pre tax dollars.
3. Open competition.
4. Group small business.
5, Make it mandatory that all people who can afford insurance buy insurance. Subsidize the poor.
6. Legislate that insurance is portable and that one can not be denied for pre-existing conditions.

These can all be done with the costs savings in place through tort reform, etc. a reduction in insurance premiums, etc and it can all be done through legislation.

The Baucus plan would still leave 25 million uninsured. Obama himself finally admitted it was only 30 million who don't have insurance, why in the world would you want to overhaul the entire system and spend a trillion dollars doing it to insure 5 million people who don't have insurance. The CBO has even stated , that they don't know if our premiums are going to rise or not. They sure could because any tax you put on insurers, medical devise people etc, is ALWAYS passed right back on to the consumer.

85% of Americans who have insurance through their employer are happy with that insurance. That portion does not need fixing, it's the other that does and anything of the 5 bills being currently debated amounts to a takeover of 6% of our economy by a bunch of politicians who have bankrupted social security, medicare, medicaid, freddie and fannie, and the postal service. Now if you want to hire people who have a resume like that to takeover 6% of our economy and which will at a minimum amount increase our debt by 1 trillion dollars then you need your head examined.

The whole stated intent was to make sure that everyone had affordable insurance and that it all was being done to keep our costs down. None of these bills do that. Costs will rise and not everyone will be covered.

" Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result."

" A government big enough to give you everything you need is big enough to take everything you have." Thomas Jefferson

More likely, we are afraid that once that monster is given life it will never die just like every other social program ever created.

Those three loops very clearly showed that Obama and crew are lying when they tell us that the Public Option will not eliminate competition from private insurers. They very clearly tell us that the elimination of competition is exactly what they want and are striving for... for once I actually believe them.

Immie

Die health insurance companies die!!!

Of course if people like the public option and buy into it, it will succeed. I'd rather go the risk with my fellow citizens than pay a company to be the banker/bookie. I think an overwhelming majority of the citizenry does too.

if those are our only 2 choices we are screwed.

How about leaving the private sector in charge of the care end of things and then TELLLING our government what we want them to regulate with the insurance companies instead of letting the government tell us what their special interests want them to do.

Sound good?

And I definately will not EVER support a public option after hearing what these people have stated in their own words.

Forum List

Back