Democratic Maryland Comptroller Calls for Alabama Boycott

Toro

Diamond Member
Sep 29, 2005
Surfing the Oceans of Liquidity
This is getting ridiculous. All this shit does is just divide us more.

State pensions will divest foreign investments because of the actions of foreign governments. I've never heard of state pensions divesting domestic investments because of the actions of other state governments, which is what the Comptroller is aiming for with the review.

Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot, vice chairman of the $52.7 billion Maryland State Retirement & Pensions System, Baltimore, is calling on the system's executive management to review "all relationships that we have with businesses" in Alabama following the latter state's restrictive abortion bill signed into law Wednesday.

In a Facebook post Thursday, Mr. Franchot, a Democrat, said the review will include a full inventory of assets that are invested in Alabama-based companies, as well as all investment managers, brokers and consultants that are headquartered or have regional offices in the state. "I will ask that this review and full inventory of business relationships be presented to the Board of Trustees on an expedited basis, so that we can hopefully initiate the process of full divestment from the state of Alabama," he said. ...

While the review takes place, Mr. Franchot said in his post that he will ask that no system employees or trustees travel to Alabama under any circumstances — "be it for professional conferences or meetings with current or prospective investment partners. It is my hope that this travel restriction would be replicated throughout Maryland state government as a whole."​

PIOnline : Error Page

State pensions will divest foreign investments because of the actions of foreign governments. I've never heard of state pensions divesting domestic investments because of the actions of other state governments, which is what the Comptroller is aiming for with the review.

Maryland Comptroller Peter Franchot, vice chairman of the $52.7 billion Maryland State Retirement & Pensions System, Baltimore, is calling on the system's executive management to review "all relationships that we have with businesses" in Alabama following the latter state's restrictive abortion bill signed into law Wednesday.

In a Facebook post Thursday, Mr. Franchot, a Democrat, said the review will include a full inventory of assets that are invested in Alabama-based companies, as well as all investment managers, brokers and consultants that are headquartered or have regional offices in the state. "I will ask that this review and full inventory of business relationships be presented to the Board of Trustees on an expedited basis, so that we can hopefully initiate the process of full divestment from the state of Alabama," he said. ...

While the review takes place, Mr. Franchot said in his post that he will ask that no system employees or trustees travel to Alabama under any circumstances — "be it for professional conferences or meetings with current or prospective investment partners. It is my hope that this travel restriction would be replicated throughout Maryland state government as a whole."​

Private businesses and a couple of states did something similar when North Carolina (I think it was North Carolina) passed some snotty anti-gay bill. I remember a couple of states forbidding official travel to the state.

As Comptroller, does Franchot have the right to make that kind of unilateral decision?

Private businesses and a couple of states did something similar when North Carolina (I think it was North Carolina) passed some snotty anti-gay bill. I remember a couple of states forbidding official travel to the state.

As Comptroller, does Franchot have the right to make that kind of unilateral decision?

I don't know the governing structure of the Maryland pension system, so I don't know if he can make that unilateral decision.

"Snotty anti-gay bill"? It was a bill mandating men use the men's restroom. How awful !!!!!!!!

"Snotty anti-gay bill"? It was a bill mandating men use the men's restroom. How awful !!!!!!!!
I listened to that shit about trannies in the bathroom for a solid year and I will NOT engage in more discussion about it. Just so you know.

The increasing theatrics of our present day politics is approaching unsustainable levels.

True. But the good news for this guy is that there really is no reason to travel to Alabama unless you are just driving though to get somewhere good.

When I first read the thread title I thought Maryland was going to boycott sex.
In this crazy world crazy stuff is the first thing that comes to mind.

As for the the crux of this thread....I believe that the best interests of people in the state
should stand paramount over the political bickering and gamesmanship.
But, I don't think that common sense and politics ever crossed paths.

North Carolina lost a Super Bowl and they eventually changed their mind

Alabama is free to boycott MD for allowing abortions

Secession is the answer. The chasms are too wide.
Agreed. It would be great to see the USA breakup into many small friendly nations. Hopefully putting an end to the imperialism, criminality, and .1% control of our government from the Imperial Capital on the Potomac.

Agreed. It would be great to see the USA breakup into many small friendly nations. Hopefully putting an end to the imperialism, criminality, and .1% control of our government from the Imperial Capital on the Potomac.
Are you sure? Or, would there be just smaller nations to fuck up?
The mindset won't change IMO

If anybody actually believed that Republicans were Pro-Children, this whole situation would feel much different, but they are consistently anti-children. They don’t care about the children in poverty in their own states. They don’t care about the horrible education systems in their own states. They don’t care about children ripped from their families at the border. They don’t care about the kids dying in ICE custody. They don’t care about the children starving to death in Yemen. In fact, I struggle to find a place where Republicans lead the conversation on their actual demonstrated love for kids. All of this is about control and power. Not love of children.

Are you sure? Or, would there be just smaller nations to fuck up?
The mindset won't change IMO
One thing we are sure of, the current set up isn’t working. Time for a change. Big change. Smaller government is always better than bigger government.

what are you doing about making that a reality other than whining on a political forum?

Forum List

Back