Defense department agrees to allow Muslim cadets to wear hijabs

And I've seen it too. In Afghanistan, in 2010, and our females were NOT wearing the hijab. Do you have a source for your picture becaause it was definitely not policy in 2010.
Oh, and I have no idea why you think the male soldier is locked and loaded. I can't even see his weapon in the picture.

Whenever you go outside the wire your weapon has to be locked and loaded, at least thats how it was in Iraq.

I would expect that in any war zone...........

:salute:

I understand that, however the women soldiers that go outside the wire are in just as much danger as our male soldiers, and female soldiers exchange gun fire regularly when they are ambushed, believe me I have seen it, when I was stationed in Kuwait female Soldiers went on convoys in Iraq regularly with full battle rattle, and they did exchange gun fire with insurgents.
And I've seen it too. In Afghanistan, in 2010, and our females were NOT wearing the hijab. Do you have a source for your picture becaause it was definitely not policy in 2010.
Oh, and I have no idea why you think the male soldier is locked and loaded. I can't even see his weapon in the picture.

Whenever you go outside the wire your weapon has to be locked and loaded, at least thats how it was in Iraq.

Sure, but it's not clear that they were outside the wire.

Sure, but it's not clear that they were outside the wire.

Why would the female soldiers have to don a hijab on a US or NATO military facility? :confused:

These Soldiers wear these hijabs outside the wire while interacting with Afghan civilians.

Headscarves for female soldiers in Afghanistan defended

t1larg.milheadscarves.jpg

The top American military officer defended the Department of Defense policy of encouraging female troops to wear headscarves while on duty in Afghanistan, despite criticism the practice makes "second-class warriors."

"Those female service members ... do so as a personal choice," Adm. Mike Mullen wrote to Rep. James Langevin, D-Rhode Island, last week. "They feel this gesture helps them in accomplishing their mission by serving as a sign of courtesy and respect toward the locals."

For years, some American military women have worn headscarves, similar to traditional Afghan hijabs, when interacting with local civilians.

The policy has stirred up a new debate about whether female U.S. troops can or should wear headscarves while on duty in Afghanistan.

Lt. Col. Michael Lawhorn, a spokesman for U.S. Central Command, said servicewomen are "definitely not being ordered to wear headscarves."

Lawhorn, who has twice commanded troops in war, said women can wear the scarves under their helmets and that it is "unrealistic that any commander would trade the safety of any servicemember under their command for cultural consideration."

He compared it to other soldiers who are instructed to remove sunglasses and gloves as a sign of respect for Afghan culture when they greet a civilian.

The recent debate was stirred up by an opinion column in February in the Washington Post by Martha McSally, a retired U.S. Air Force colonel who made history as one of America's first female fighter pilots. She calls the current practice "inappropriate."

In her column, she wrote, "American servicewomen will continue to be viewed as second-class warriors if leaders push them to take up the customs of countries where women are second-class citizens."

McSally fought a battle like this before. While stationed in Saudi Arabia before the start of Operation Iraqi Freedom, female servicemembers were ordered to wear an abaya, a long black gown and a headscarf.

She sued the military and Congress eventually forced the Defense Department to get rid of the rule.

Headscarves for female soldiers in Afghanistan defended – CNN Belief Blog - CNN.com Blogs

Forum List

Back