Debt growth by President

SwimExpert

Gold Member
Nov 26, 2013
If anyone feels they can provide more reliable numbers than the source I'm using I'm happy to adjust what I'm posting here. I'm merely pointing out cold hard facts here boys and girls.

For the purposes of this thread Presidential terms are defined as the year in which said President assumed office. Thus, Obama's term is credited with the numbers starting in 2009. GWB's term is credited with the numbers beginning in 2001, etc. Years of Vice Presidential successions are attributed to the individual who was in office for the greater part of the year. Thus, 1963 is credited as Kennedy's last year and 1964 as Johnson's first year. The "change percent" is the percent of the starting debt that the additional debt represents. The "contribution percent" is the percentage of the total ending debt the total change represents.

Obama
Debt 2009 = $11.9 trillion
Debt 2014 = $18.0 trillion

Change dollars = $6.1 trillion
Change percent = 51.2%
Change contribution = 33.9%

George W. Bush
Debt 2008 = $10.0 trillion
Debt 2001 = $5.8 trillion

Change dollars = $4.2 trillion
Change percent = 72.4%
Change contribution = 42.0%

Bill Clinton
Debt 1993 = $4.4 trillion
Debt 2000 = $5.7 trillion

Change dollars = $1.3 trillion
Change percent = 29.5%
Change contribution = 22.8%

George Bush
Debt 1989 = $2.9 trillion
Debt 1992 = $4.1 trillion

Change dollars = $1.2 trillion
Change percent = 41.2%
Change contribution = 29.3%

Ronald Reagan
Debt 1981 = $1.0 trillion
Debt 1988 = $2.6 trillion

Change dollars = $1.6 trillion
Change percent = 160.0%
Change contribution = 61.5%

Jimmy Carter
Debt 1977 = $700 billion
Debt 1980 = $900 billion

Change dollars = $200 billion
Change percent = 28.6%
Change contribution = 22.2%

Gerald Ford
Debt 1975 = $500 billion
Debt 1976 = $600 billion

Change dollars = $100 billion
Change percent = 20.0%
Change contribution = 16.7%

Richard Nixon

Debt 1969 = $354 billion
Debt 1974 = $475 billion

Change dollars = $121 billion
Change percent = 34.2%
Change contribution = 25.5%

Lyndon Johnson
Debt 1964 = $312 billion
Debt 1968 = $348 billion

Change dollars = $36 billion
Change percent = 11.5%
Change contribution = 10.3%

John F Kennedy
Debt 1961 = $306 billion
Debt 1963 = $289 billion

Change dollars = $17 billion
Change percent = 5.9%
Change contribution = 5.6%

Dwight D. Eisenhower
Debt 1953 = $266 billion
Debt 1960 = $286 billion

Change dollars = $20 billion
Change percent = 7.5%
Change contribution = 7.0%

Harry S. Truman
Debt 1945 = $259 billion
Debt 1952 = $259 billion

Change dollars = $0
Change percent = 0%
Change contribution = 0%

Franklin Roosevelt
Debt 1933 = $23 billion
Debt 1944 = $201 billion

Change dollars = $178 billion
Change percent = 773.9%
Change contribution = 88.6%

Herbert Hoover
Debt 1932 = $19 billion
Debt 1929 = $17 billion

Change dollars = $2 billion
Change percent = 11.8%
Change contribution = 10.5%

Last edited:
  • Banned
Point have you, asks Master Yoda

Just seen alot of slanted talking points lately about who contributed how much public debt. Today's trillion, last century's billion.

One thing that is interesting is that Roosevelt is perhaps single handedly responsible for introducing out of control government spending to the American people. Maybe massive SS and Medicare programs are just bad for the economy, eh?

• Banned
007, why are you obsessed with Obama? This is why I posted this, because too many people want to cherry pick information.

USDebt1_zps145105bc.jpg

Since Obama Took Office, the Federal Debt Has Increased by Almost 70 Percent
Michael Sargent / December 03, 2014 / 81 comments

The federal government hit a new milestone Friday: The total federal debt now tallies more than $18 trillion.

Just six years ago when President Obama took office, total debt stood at $10.6 trillion, which means it now has increased by almost $8 trillion—roughly 70 percent—during his tenure as president.

Since Obama Took Office the Federal Debt Has Increased by Almost 70 Percent

007, why are you obsessed with Obama? This is why I posted this, because too many people want to cherry pick information.
YOU started the thread... then when given the information you're OP is about, you're going to try and say "I'M OBSESSED WITH OBAMA?"

What planet did you wake the fuck up on... maaaaaan... freakin' weirdo.

YOU started the thread... then when given the information you're OP is about, you're going to try and say "I'M OBSESSED WITH OBAMA?"

Yes, because I already gave the information. All you're doing is posting colorful pictures depicting limited and cherry picked data, all focused on trashing Obama and serving no other purpose.

The "Obama's debt as a %" talking points were recently fed into the Prog Collective. There's at least one other identical thread on this already up

Obama has two years to continue his debt binge.

To date, the OP tries to spin $6.1T of Obama's 6 year debt as being less than Dubya's 8 year $4.2T debt.

What a tool.

In real math: $6.1T > than $4.2T

And as 007 notes, the OP is using cooked stats.

To date, the OP tries to spin $6.1T of Obama's 6 year debt as being less than Dubya's 8 year $4.2T debt.

What a tool.

:wtf:

I'm not trying to spin anything. It's simple cold, hard numbers. Where did I ever say that Obama doesn't have two more years left? I have clearly posted the dates for every President. For some Presidents only two years were attributable, while others had eight years attributable, while others had something in between. I cannot post future data that does not yet exist. If anyone is so much of a hack as to attempt to imply that Obama's current 6 years are a full comparison to Bush's 8 years, then that is their idiocy. Do not blame me for someone else's stupidity.

What a tool.

:wtf:

I'm not trying to spin anything. It's simple cold, hard numbers. Where did I ever say that Obama doesn't have two more years left? I have clearly posted the dates for every President. For some Presidents only two years were attributable, while others had eight years attributable, while others had something in between. I cannot post future data that does not yet exist. If anyone is so much of a hack as to attempt to imply that Obama's current 6 years are a full comparison to Bush's 8 years, then that is their idiocy. Do not blame me for someone else's stupidity.

Hack.

Uh.......In January 2001, CBO projected a decade of surpluses totaling in excess of 5 trillion....

Shortly before The Great Surplus Vaporizer left DC in a hail of well deserved jeers, the CBO projected a decade of deficits totaling 5 trillion (it should be noted that they greatly misunderestimated the economic damage wrought by Supply Side Idiocy, Part Deux).

Forum List

Back