Debt ceiling fight

Whatever floats your boat, tripper!

I'd say I see you objecting when Democrats call blacks, women, Latinos and other minorities bigoted names, if you ever objected to that, but you don't. You're a racist and a bigot, you're no liberal. You're a leftist, and you hate anyone who disagrees with you.

Have you ever looked up liberal in the dictionary? There is no way to connect it to you

The debt is to pay our bills already incurred and raising it should never be a point of debate or negotiation. That belongs in the budget process not here.
how come we exceeded the last ceiling raise then?

Are you suggesting we stopped collecting taxes on americans?

Sure you did.

Not really.

Which is the perfect time to cut spending.

So, all the more reason to cut spending since those things were not needed.

But instead it was increased each and every year

But instead the deficit increased every year. Why is that?
You Democrats would have fillibustered any real cuts in spending.

Let's keep in mind that the House of Representatives sent the Senate a bill that raises the debt ceiling. The hold up is that Democrats don't like it, even though the U.S. Constitution grants sole power to tax, spend and borrow to Congress.

If Biden doesn't like what's in the bill, that is the time to negotiate, not to childishly refuse to negotiate. Now he has to cut his trip to Asia short to come back home and negotiate, like he should have in the first place. Why did he embarass himself and the country that way?

Likely, the House will agree to no work requirement for Medicaid, and the "work requirement" for TANF and SNAP will be weak and unenforceable. If they get any reduction in future spending, that is a victory.

When you are drowning in debt, the first thing to do is to stop borrowing money. SNL explains it in a "for dummies" version:

Let's keep in mind that the House of Representatives sent the Senate a bill that raises the debt ceiling. The hold up is that Democrats don't like it, even though the U.S. Constitution grants sole power to tax, spend and borrow to Congress.

If Biden doesn't like what's in the bill, that is the time to negotiate, not to childishly refuse to negotiate. Now he has to cut his trip to Asia short to come back home and negotiate, like he should have in the first place. Why did he embarass himself and the country that way?

Likely, the House will agree to no work requirement for Medicaid, and the "work requirement" for TANF and SNAP will be weak and unenforceable. If they get any reduction in future spending, that is a victory.

When you are drowning in debt, the first thing to do is to stop borrowing money. SNL explains it in a "for dummies" version:

Debt ceiling drama should be declared unconstitutional imo, as should the law.

"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned."

Debt ceiling drama should be declared unconstitutional imo, as should the law.

"The validity of the public debt of the United States, authorized by law, including debts incurred for payment of pensions and bounties for services in suppressing insurrection or rebellion, shall not be questioned."
I take that to mean that Congress cannot refuse to pay bonds and pensions and bounties, not that Congress cannot refuse to borrow an unlimited amount of money to do do. I haven't heard anyone say that they want to stop paying pensions, bounties, US Savings Bonds, or Treasury Bonds.

If there is no money in the treasury to pay bonds, and congress wisely refuses to borrow to pay debt, The executive will have to cut non-debt expenses.

Hey! Spending cuts . . .

If Biden needs help finding areas that we spend more than we need to in, he can just call me. Him, though. Not the little pirate girl.

Last edited:
I take that to mean that Congress cannot refuse to pay bonds and pensions and bounties, not that Congress cannot refuse to borrow an unlimited amount of money to do do. I haven't heard anyone say that they want to stop paying pensions, bounties, US Savings Bonds, or Treasury Bonds.

If there is no money in the treasury to pay bonds, and congress wisely refuses to borrow to pay debt, The executive will have to cut non-debt expenses.

Hey! Spending cuts . . .

If Biden needs help finding areas that we spend more than we need to in, he can just call me. Him, though. Not the little pirate girl.
The debt limit should equal the amount of debt authorized by law......and the treasury should be able to sell bonds accordingly. Imo we need a balanced budget amendment to reign all the spending and a plan to reduce the debt. Right after the term limit amendment. Someday maybe no one will want to buy our bonds!

act.jpg

The House Speaker wants to negotiate directly with the president but Biden's handlers hustled him off to freaking Japan.

Here’s the deal: McCarthy has nowhere near the votes for a deal and therefore cannot negotiate debt ceiling. You need 218 votes. GOP has maybe ~150. They will need anywhere from 50-100 House Dems to pass anything. Dems have 213 votes for a clean bill & just need to pick up 5.

We got a preview of this during McCarthy’s disaster of Speaker vote in January. He doesn’t know how many votes he has on what. That’s what makes this “negotiating” rudderless. How do you deal with someone who cannot deliver passage? Clean bill needs 5. He can’t pass without Dems

Forum List

Back