Death penalty

I don't like capitol punishment one bit. I oppose the level of death penalties some states like Texas do. I think there should be extremely strict guidelines for the death penalty and must be reserved for the most hideous crimes only unless the inmate chooses it. There are some monsters in the world, we would be doing every one including themselves a service by ending their life.

Certain heinous crimes that are 100% easy to identify the murderer(s) should get the death penalty.

A man rapes a woman and her children then slaughters them with clear evidence against him....

....And, you think this normal-behavior, huh?

323.png

.....I'd love for some of you scum to go to court and demand he be allowed to live in a jail cell for life watching TV, surfing the internet, going to school......hopefully a family member of the victim gets their hands on you.

Can't you Jr. High kiddies find some teen-chat site, somewhere?

:eusa_hand:

The death penality

1) costs more than just keeping them alive
2) kills innocent peoole
3) gives the goverment the power to kill its citizens

I don't care if bad people die, but I'm not ok with the government having the power to excute people.
The only reason it is expensive is that there are endless processes, appeals etc. In China shortly after sentencing, a bullet paid for by the family of the inmate would be deposited in the head of the condemned. Even though the family no longer has to pay for the bullet, it is still cheaper.
....And, more-recently, they just "happen" to get executed.....when specific-organs are required.

I'd imagine most "conservatives" would recognize this as a .....

There are some monsters in the world, we would be doing every one including themselves a service by ending their life.

.....Kinda like those epileptics & schizophrenics who were tortured/executed, in the Dark Ages, for being possessed by Satan, right??

Yeah.....we're so-much-more civilized, presently.

handjob.gif

The economic argument fails. It costs more to keep a guy in prison for life than it does to just let him go free. So by your logic we should let all criminals go free.

There is strong circumstantial evidence this is true, but no hard evidence.

The government has had that power since the Founding.

Bullshit....look up a documentary series named "Dallas DNA". In that state and city, the system was so broken that they actually had to create a task force to test convict's DNA that maintain their innocence.....here's a link to a list of people exonerated by DNA evidence for murder....

The Innocence Project - Know the Cases: Search Profiles

I love the DNA arguement....now that we have we can be even more certain...so lets' go old school.
Ah, yes.....that lazy, fuckin' ol' timey religion justification!!!!!

There is no reason why the death penalty should be allowed.

I have heard stories in the US about people being released from prison after spending decades behind bars. I wonder what would have happened had they been executed?

If a person is deemed innocent, but has been executed, what can you do? No amount of compensation would ever make up for the fact that you seriously fucked up.

People like to insist that if people are executed, that means they can't escape from prison, yet they can't one single killer who escaped from prison, only to kill again. Not one.
They also claim that it is justice - an 'eye for an eye', the punishment should fit the crime, etc. Well, if the punishment had to fit the crime, and the punishment for murder was to be executed, then why don't we send convicted rapists to be raped? If a man is convicted of attempted murder because he threw acid in a persons face, how about we throw acid in that mans face as punishment?
We don't, and you know why? Because its barbaric and cruel.

The death penalty has no place in civilized society.

Ted Bundy escaped from prison and went on a kiling spree. He jumped out of a second story window in the courthouse library as he was waiting for a hearing.

Jeffrey Landrigan was convicted in Oklahoma of second-degree murder in 1982. In
1986, while in custody for that murder, Landrigan repeatedly stabbed another inmate and was subsequently convicted of assault and battery with a deadly weapon. Three years later, Landrigan escaped from prison and murdered Chester Dean Dyer in Arizona.

Unfortunately there are way more killers simply released from prison and kill again than escpe.

We don't sentence all murderers to be executed. Only some whose crimes have elements that require the death penalty. We put down rabid dogs, we execute killers.

I have heard stories in the US about people being released from prison after spending decades behind bars. I wonder what would have happened had they been executed?

If a person is deemed innocent, but has been executed, what can you do? No amount of compensation would ever make up for the fact that you seriously fucked up.

People like to insist that if people are executed, that means they can't escape from prison, yet they can't one single killer who escaped from prison, only to kill again. Not one.
They also claim that it is justice - an 'eye for an eye', the punishment should fit the crime, etc. Well, if the punishment had to fit the crime, and the punishment for murder was to be executed, then why don't we send convicted rapists to be raped? If a man is convicted of attempted murder because he threw acid in a persons face, how about we throw acid in that mans face as punishment?

Ted Bundy escaped from prison and went on a kiling spree. He jumped out of a second story window in the courthouse library as he was waiting for a hearing.

1986, while in custody for that murder, Landrigan repeatedly stabbed another inmate and was subsequently convicted of assault and battery with a deadly weapon. Three years later, Landrigan escaped from prison and murdered Chester Dean Dyer in Arizona.

Unfortunately there are way more killers simply released from prison and kill again than escpe.

We don't sentence all murderers to be executed. Only some whose crimes have elements that require the death penalty. We put down rabid dogs, we execute killers.

i.e.......we execute mentally-ill people......so other mentally-ill keep murdering more people.....so, we execute more mentally-ill people......so other mentally-ill keep murdering more people.....

"conservative"-logic.....it isn't MEANT to make sene.​

It's funny how people wil hysterically defend the right to bear arms on the grounds that you can not trust the government - but have no problem with the government executing people.

Because people arent convicted by the government....in this instance the government is a tool, like a gun, it does the execution, but hey if you'd rather have citizens participate in a public stoning because you dont want the government to do it....we can negotiate that.

Lots of verbal gymnastics here..I tell you what..

:lol:

We do execute mentally ill people. A killer who enjoys what he does is mentally ill. Does that mean because he's mentally ill he should not be executed? Why wouldn't all killers simply say "I like to kill people, it makes me happy" and avoid the death penalty by the proof positive that they are mentally ill.

And sometimes innocent people are executed. The justice system is not infalliable. But death is not reversible.

And sometimes innocent people are executed. The justice system is not infalliable. But death is not reversible.

Which innocent person would that be?

Roger Keith Coleman protested his innocence only to have DNA evidence confirm guilt after execution.

Roger Keith Coleman protested his innocence only to have DNA evidence confirm guilt after execution.

10 Convicts Presumed Innocent After Execution

Additionally many death row immates have been released after evidence emerges that they were innocent.

Personally? I think there are some very rare cases where the death penalty is almost necessary. Unfortunately..our current Judicial system is not up to the task of administering that penalty. One mistake is one to many. And justice in the name of expedience is not justice at all.

Additionally many death row immates have been released after evidence emerges that they were innocent.

Personally? I think there are some very rare cases where the death penalty is almost necessary. Unfortunately..our current Judicial system is not up to the task of administering that penalty. One mistake is one to many. And justice in the name of expedience is not justice at all.

Ohhhhh PRESUMED innocent is enough evidence of actual evidence.

Antonin Scalia, one of the nine justices on the US supreme court:

There has not been, he said, “a single case – not one – in which it is clear that a person was executed for a crime he did not commit. If such an event had occurred … the innocent’s name would be shouted from the rooftops.”

And still true today. Speculation of innocence by those opposed to capital punishment has to be taken with considerable doubt.

The presumption of innocence extends until conviction. It then becomes incumbent of the convicted to prove innocence, thus a link entitled "10 Convicts Presumed Innocent After Execution" is nonsense.

Last edited:

Ohhhhh PRESUMED innocent is enough evidence of actual evidence.

It is more dangerous that even a guilty person should be punished without the forms of law than that he should escape.
Thomas Jefferson

2zA1A.jpg

Innocence: List of Those Freed From Death Row

One that confounds good and evil is an enemy to good.
Edmund Burke

I've seen the economic argument presented, and I don't get it, either way. When one considers the ridiculous amounts that the government spends on other things, and that this is regarding the decision by a supposedly rational people whether or not to take a human life, why would money be such a big concern?

Such a decision should NEVER be taken lightly, by either side. When people oppose capital punishment, the flippant posture toward the victims never ceases to amaze me. Likewise, the average advocate of the death penalty has a strong tendency to want to speed up the process, oppose appeals, and "let the f*&#er fry." Both make me sick.

I advocate the death penalty, but I don't take it nearly as lightly as some would.

The victims outside the person(s) killed, those whose loved one was taken away, deserve to see justice, they deserve to see the offender's life taken away. I don't see how this is open for argument. Further, how one could NOT be outraged at the taking of innocent life is beyond me, and this is what irks me about those that oppose the death penalty, they also tend not to be too terribly bothered by the crime in the first place.

However, I also don't have much of a problem with the cost of appeals, and a strong need for overwhelming evidence. Thank you DNA testing for making that endeavor easier and more absolute! Overwhelming evidence is paramount to even having a capital punishment system in the first place. If a society lacks a requirement for overwhelming evidence, or ample ability of the accused to fight it, then it also lacks the responsibility to have a capital punishment system. So I don't give a shit about the cost.

Take the time to get it right, and when determined overwhelmingly to have gotten it right, execute.

However, I personally would like to include one additional step. I am not a Christian, nor am I religious at all, but I do agree with one aspect of Hebrew law and culture, and that is the basic idea that one cannot be forgiven unless one is forgiven by the victim. Even when one has been overwhelmingly proven guilty of a horrendous murder, one should be given the opportunity to ask forgiveness of the immediate family of the victim, and if forgiveness is given, then that should at least erase the death penalty, even if the convicted has to serve some debt to society. After all, what is the point of capital punishment but for the victims? I couldn't care less about the arguments of whether or not it is an effective deterrent. Now, realistically, the vast majority of family asked for forgiveness will not give it, and so be it, but if forgiveness by the immediate family is given, what business is it of ours?

That last point is simply a personal feeling, and not intended to be taken as a central premise for or against capital punishment.

There is no greater exhibition of callousness than that shown to the victims of killers by those opposed to the death penalty.

After having read thru all the comments on this thread - pro or con of death penalty - I never once saw the word REDEMPTION.

I believe that that there is at least a trace of goodness in every human being, even the condemned and convicted killer.

Without going into details, I can say with full confidence and with personal experience, that REDEMPTION is possible, if it is given a chance.

Death Penalty removes that chance forever.

Quote: "Take the time to get it right, and when determined overwhelmingly to have gotten it right, execute."

NO! Just make their life so that they wish they were dead.

Make them WORK hard for 12 hours every day seven days a week for bread and water.
Make them listen to classical music when they aren't working.
Make them sleep on hard wood with no matrass and no pillow.

Last edited:

Forum List

Back