Death penalty

There is no reason why the death penalty should be allowed.

I have heard stories in the US about people being released from prison after spending decades behind bars. I wonder what would have happened had they been executed?

If a person is deemed innocent, but has been executed, what can you do? No amount of compensation would ever make up for the fact that you seriously fucked up.

People like to insist that if people are executed, that means they can't escape from prison, yet they can't one single killer who escaped from prison, only to kill again. Not one.
They also claim that it is justice - an 'eye for an eye', the punishment should fit the crime, etc. Well, if the punishment had to fit the crime, and the punishment for murder was to be executed, then why don't we send convicted rapists to be raped? If a man is convicted of attempted murder because he threw acid in a persons face, how about we throw acid in that mans face as punishment?
We don't, and you know why? Because its barbaric and cruel.

The death penalty has no place in civilized society.

The death penality

1) costs more than just keeping them alive

The economic argument fails. It costs more to keep a guy in prison for life than it does to just let him go free. So by your logic we should let all criminals go free.

2) kills innocent peoole

There is strong circumstantial evidence this is true, but no hard evidence.

3) gives the goverment the power to kill its citizens

I don't care if bad people die, but I'm not ok with the government having the power to excute people.

The government has had that power since the Founding.

From everything that I have read, it costs more to execute someone than keeping them in prison for life.

is a GREAT thing....why is this guy not dead?
Chilling details of John Lennon shooting recounted at Chapman parole hearing - U.S. News

I think having people to have to relive viscious crimes over and over at parole hearing is far more cruel and unusual punishment than clubbing a murderer over the head til he's dead.....kill the guy and let people move on.

I think Chapman should have gotten life without the possibility of parole, so no parole hearings.

That would have the same effect.

I'm agnostic on the Death Penalty. There are criminal out there who are so venal, that sending them to jail for the rest of their lives just isn't much of a punishment. Charles Manson, for instance. We just put him back in to his natural environment.

But the thing is, no matter how good your system, there is always the possibility that you are going to execute someone who didn't do what he was accused of.

In IL, we let 13 people off death row for crimes other people did.

The death penality

2) kills innocent peoole

I don't care if bad people die, but I'm not ok with the government having the power to excute people.

It is a lie that the death penalty costs more. All the comparisons made never take into account the true cost of keeping somebody in prison for 6 decades or more.

FALSE. there are mountains of studies...

Financial Facts About the Death Penalty

California

“The additional cost of confining an inmate to death row, as compared to the maximum security prisons where those sentenced to life without possibility of parole ordinarily serve their sentences, is $90,000 per year per inmate. With California’s current death row population of 670, that accounts for $63.3 million annually.”

Using conservative rough projections, the Commission estimates the annual costs of the present (death penalty) system to be $137 million per year.

The cost of the present system with reforms recommended by the Commission to ensure a fair process would be $232.7 million per year.

The cost of a system in which the number of death-eligible crimes was significantly narrowed would be $130 million per year.

The cost of a system which imposes a maximum penalty of lifetime incarceration instead of the death penalty would be $11.5 million per year.

Chilling details of John Lennon shooting recounted at Chapman parole hearing - U.S. News

I think having people to have to relive viscious crimes over and over at parole hearing is far more cruel and unusual punishment than clubbing a murderer over the head til he's dead.....kill the guy and let people move on.

Since the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison (due to the appeals process and other things) I think we should just get rid of the death penalty. Save the tax payers money whenever possible.

It's not the fault of the death penalty, make it less expensive, put them in the general population, and maybe the prisoners will do it for us, but if not, we can cut down on appeals, there is no reason someone should be in jail forever or even released on parole....for first degree murder.

September 28, 2012

We've Got
ANOTHER ONE

"A Louisiana death-row inmate convicted of the rape and murder of his 14-year-old step-cousin in 1996 on Friday became the 300th person exonerated on the basis of DNA evidence in the United States — and the 18th death-row inmate saved from execution by DNA.

Damon Thibodeaux, now 38, confessed to the brutal attack on his cousin after a nine-hour interrogation in 1996 by detectives from the Jefferson Parish Sheriff’s Office. He recanted a few hours later and has maintained since that his confession was coerced. Despite his recantation, Thibodeaux was indicted four days after his arrest. In 1997, a jury found him guilty of murder and rape, largely on the basis of his confession. He was sentenced to death."

:eusa_whistle:

The death penality

2) kills innocent peoole

The only reason it costs more to execute them is because we allow them 20 years of appeals.

China has four times as many people as we do and yet only about one tenth of the crime. Granted, they're a Communist police state and I'm not advocating we emulate that, but it wouldn't hurt to gain some insight from them on that front. Our justice system is a complete joke.

Personally, I believe in an eye for an eye when it comes to crimes with malicious intent. If you kill someone in cold blood then you should get a bullet in your head within a year. Two appeals and that's it. No more of this bullshit of sitting on death row for 20 years wasting millions of tax dollars on appeal after appeal after appeal. I also think child molesters should be executed and so should violent rapists.

Last edited:

Since the death penalty is more expensive than life in prison (due to the appeals process and other things) I think we should just get rid of the death penalty. Save the tax payers money whenever possible.

It's not the fault of the death penalty, make it less expensive, put them in the general population, and maybe the prisoners will do it for us, but if not, we can cut down on appeals......
Oh, yeah???

How MANY years do you want to limit.....

:wtf:
Stupid fuckin' Teabaggers

The death penality

2) kills innocent peoole

The only reason it costs more to execute them is because we allow them 20 years of appeals.

I think Chapman should have gotten life without the possibility of parole, so no parole hearings.

That would have the same effect.

:clap2:

gop-cry-baby.jpg

When it comes to raping, torturing and murdering children, an injection is far too humane IMO.

When it comes to raping, torturing and murdering children, an injection is far too humane IMO.
That's right!!!

We'll keep executing them.....never find-out what DRIVES such behavior.....and, be GUARANTEED MORE raping, torturing and murdering children!!!

The death penalty has no place in a civilized society. We should drop it like the scourge that it is.

There are two things we do that will keep us from realizing our utmost potential as a shinning example to the rest of the world,the death penalty being one.

Certain heinous crimes that are 100% easy to identify the murderer(s) should get the death penalty.

A man rapes a woman and her children then slaughters them with clear evidence against him, I'd love for some of you scum to go to court and demand he be allowed to live in a jail cell for life watching TV, surfing the internet, going to school......hopefully a family member of the victim gets their hands on you.

Certain heinous crimes that are 100% easy to identify the murderer(s) should get the death penalty.

A man rapes a woman and her children then slaughters them with clear evidence against him, I'd love for some of you scum to go to court and demand he be allowed to live in a jail cell for life watching TV, surfing the internet, going to school......hopefully a family member of the victim gets their hands on you.

They don't get to live a life of luxury, you know. Stop listening to what the right wing media tells you. I have been inside a maximum security prison to meet low risk inmates, one of whom shot a guy in the head for no reason at all. They have to work damned hard to EARN the right to watch one damned TV show.

The death penality

2) kills innocent peoole

The only reason it is expensive is that there are endless processes, appeals etc. In China shortly after sentencing, a bullet paid for by the family of the inmate would be deposited in the head of the condemned. Even though the family no longer has to pay for the bullet, it is still cheaper.

Forum List

Back