Death Penalty

Again, it's not about deterrence.

I'm sorry you feel that the Nuremberg trials were an example of barbarity.

The Nuremburg trials were the winners punishing the losers.

Otherwise, Admiral Nimitz should have been in the dock right next to Admiral Doenitz.

I agree serious debate is possible about whether or nor Raeder and Dönitz belonged in the dock at Nuremberg. That being said, neither of them was sentenced to death. the ones who were hanged at Nuremberg most definitely deserved it.

I wouldn't go that far. von Ribbentrop was only the guy who negotiated the treaties, and he was pretty much sidelined by 1941. Streicher was a racist asshole, but he had no real influence. He was a Gauleiter. But he got put in the dock because he was one of the early NSDAP members.

On the other hand, Rudolf Hess had a lot more guilt, but he got spared so the British wouldn't have to answer embarrassing questions about why he was so confident he could negotiate a separate peace with the UK and who he was planning to meet with.

The Nuremburg trials were the winners punishing the losers.

Otherwise, Admiral Nimitz should have been in the dock right next to Admiral Doenitz.

I agree serious debate is possible about whether or nor Raeder and Dönitz belonged in the dock at Nuremberg. That being said, neither of them was sentenced to death. the ones who were hanged at Nuremberg most definitely deserved it.

I wouldn't go that far. von Ribbentrop was only the guy who negotiated the treaties, and he was pretty much sidelined by 1941. Streicher was a racist asshole, but he had no real influence. He was a Gauleiter. But he got put in the dock because he was one of the early NSDAP members.

On the other hand, Rudolf Hess had a lot more guilt, but he got spared so the British wouldn't have to answer embarrassing questions about why he was so confident he could negotiate a separate peace with the UK and who he was planning to meet with.

I disagree on all three counts.

Ribbentrop did his utmost to help further the Holocaust.
streicher was mmore influential than you say, even after he was sacked as Gauleiter. He was a tireless persecuter of Jews (and many others).
Hess was actually not very influential and had already left the scene before the Holocaust really got under way.

Forum List

Back