Death Panels..Canadian Style

After sticking all our youth with our debt and Dem-O-Care..reasonably, you gotta wonder.

---------------------:beer:

Last week Canada’s Supreme Court ruled that doctors could not unilaterally ignore a Toronto family’s decision to keep their near-dead husband and father on life support. In the same breath, however, the court also confirmed that, under the laws of Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, a group of government-appointed adjudicators could yet overrule the family’s choice. That tribunal, not the family or the doctors, has the ultimate power to pull the plug.

In other words: Canada has death panels.

Canada has death panels, and that?s a good thing.

He is practically dead. He cannot be saved. Keeping him alive drains the healthcare system - the taxpayers. If they want to keep him alive, pay for his treatment. If not, pull the plug.

There it is. It was only a matter of time before this attitude began to manifest itself in those who adhere to progressive ideology.

Soon, it will be, "Keeping certain people alive who disagree with our vision of society are drains on the system."

I expected the whole "The system cannot care for everyone" mantra to show up a few years after the theft of healthcare freedom, but I knew it would show up.

I certainly hope if I were unconscious for 3 years that someone would pull the plug.
Its called a living will.

Look it up.

it is useless.
It works until you do not loose consciousness - after that even if you have a living will - the next of kin ( usually husband or wife) can overrule it.

It is not as easy as it seems to be.

Here is a description of the debacle with the living will and direct wishes of one of the most famous cardiovascular surgeons in the history of medicine - what he wanted, how he made his own diagnosis, and what happened and who ruled when he lost consciousness:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/25/health/25surgeon.html?pagewanted=all

it is a long article but it is worth reading.
It actually makes one pretty sad realizing that even with all the power and smarts one is always dependent on the wishes of others when he/she becomes helpless...

After sticking all our youth with our debt and Dem-O-Care..reasonably, you gotta wonder.

Last week Canada’s Supreme Court ruled that doctors could not unilaterally ignore a Toronto family’s decision to keep their near-dead husband and father on life support. In the same breath, however, the court also confirmed that, under the laws of Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, a group of government-appointed adjudicators could yet overrule the family’s choice. That tribunal, not the family or the doctors, has the ultimate power to pull the plug.

For those who actually WON'T read the article, and there will be MANY:

".......At issue in the Ontario case was the fate of Hassan Rasouli, a retired engineer who has been comatose in a Toronto hospital since he suffered complications following brain surgery three years ago. When Rasouli’s doctors determined that he had no reasonable prospect of recovery, they sought to pull the plug. His family, convinced that Rasouli was slowly recovering, took his doctors to court.

Last Friday, they won. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled 5–2 that Ontario doctors may not decide to withhold treatment from patients in Rasouli’s condition without consent from the next-in-line decision maker.

In Rasouli’s case, that is his wife. But, if she refuses consent, then her husband’s doctors can still ask for a ruling from Ontario’s Consent and Capacity Board. The Supreme Court confirmed last week that the board has the power to overrule her.""""

""""....But American critics of Canadian health care will declare that merely asking this question is unacceptable, unethical, even unthinkable—and that it proves that the Canadian system gives doctors a dangerous incentive to kill off their patients as quickly as possible. They are wrong.""

Sorry, dumbass. Apparently you don't read either.

:lol:..I read the article and you missed the point....Big Surprise

And I see you're making a great case for it with this post. You were implying by your brevity that Canada has death panels. The author explains that they do not.

I'm sorry for your loss Tinydancer...I'm certain he loved you deeply as well.

I was always daddys girl.

He made me tough. I didn't make it through rock n roll without being truck driver tough.

It's true when they say dad's count. I loved him so much and fathers do count big time. Not that my mom wasn't cool. She was awesome too.

Heart warming..in my humble opinion your parents are surely proud of you..

I have three daughters and a son, I would hope that when I move along, each one of them truly believes I loved them best...

Three daughters. Oh holy toledo. My eldest just made it to stockholm. OMG its so awesome.

Her and her husband have got this brass ring and it is amazing I am just so thrilled for her.

My great grandfather can you imagine this he came to this land with three daughters. Right from the get go it has to be a nightmare.

Think about my poor gido.

One period times three.........the poor son of a gun.............................

I was always daddys girl.

He made me tough. I didn't make it through rock n roll without being truck driver tough.

It's true when they say dad's count. I loved him so much and fathers do count big time. Not that my mom wasn't cool. She was awesome too.

Heart warming..in my humble opinion your parents are surely proud of you..

I have three daughters and a son, I would hope that when I move along, each one of them truly believes I loved them best...

Three daughters. Oh holy toledo. My eldest just made it to stockholm. OMG its so awesome.

Her and her husband have got this brass ring and it is amazing I am just so thrilled for her.

A great parent loves the job... You obviously love the job.

Although, it near broke my heart when 3 of my grown children moved out. There still is a whole lot of pride in them when all you went through, works out.

He is practically dead. He cannot be saved. Keeping him alive drains the healthcare system - the taxpayers. If they want to keep him alive, pay for his treatment. If not, pull the plug.

Exactly. Canada has nationalized medical care. The government, the taxpayer, is paying for this man's treatment. To keep him alive when there is no hope of recovery drains money out of the health care system. The family's desire to keep him on life support is an emotional decision; the doctor's decision to take him off life support is a logical, practical decision. Also, as has been noted, this is the same in the US, essentially. If a family insists on keeping someone with no chance of recovery on life support, the hospital can take the case to court and have the court decide. Unless a family is paying for all the expenses, they should not have the right to prolong life when there is no chance of recovery and force the taxpayer to foot the bill for their emotional decision and inability to let the patient die a natural death.

Bullshit. The Supreme Court ruled that the hospital could not unilaterally decide to pull the plug without the consent of the family. But the Decision said that the hospital could apply through the judicial court to terminate care for the man who has been in a persistent vegative state for some time. There is no group of government appointed adjudicators who will decide this man's fate.

Death panels are a lie meant to frighten Americans who are too willing to swallow anything to frighten them into thinking our health care system is awful. It's not even close to awful, it's actually excellent, and the quality of care given has given Canadians a longer life expectancy than the US.

Bullshit. The Supreme Court ruled that the hospital could not unilaterally decide to pull the plug without the consent of the family. But the Decision said that the hospital could apply through the judicial court to terminate care for the man who has been in a persistent vegative state for some time. There is no group of government appointed adjudicators who will decide this man's fate.

Death panels are a lie meant to frighten Americans who are too willing to swallow anything to frighten them into thinking our health care system is awful. It's not even close to awful, it's actually excellent, and the quality of care given has given Canadians a longer life expectancy than the US.

Well said!!!:clap2:

Exactly. Canada has nationalized medical care. The government, the taxpayer, is paying for this man's treatment. To keep him alive when there is no hope of recovery drains money out of the health care system. The family's desire to keep him on life support is an emotional decision; the doctor's decision to take him off life support is a logical, practical decision. Also, as has been noted, this is the same in the US, essentially. If a family insists on keeping someone with no chance of recovery on life support, the hospital can take the case to court and have the court decide. Unless a family is paying for all the expenses, they should not have the right to prolong life when there is no chance of recovery and force the taxpayer to foot the bill for their emotional decision and inability to let the patient die a natural death.

You're for pulling the plug no matter what the family or Doctors say.. got it.

Get back to me you Toronto bitch from hell. Get back to me when you can talk about two doctors who decided to off a a Jewish guy out here and they were so pissed off that they could not take hm off life support they were going to walk off the job. They literally were going to kill him by walking off the job.

Fuck off and I know your kind. I was Toronto after all smart ass. I know this shit very well.

You're for pulling the plug no matter what the family or Doctors say.. got it.

Typical canuck liberal.

My dime.

He stays alive.

Quebec and Ontario are on my dime. 'He stays alive. You bitches from hell. Dragon lady you sure you want to be posting all this shit up here when I know you are going to backing Olivia?

Try again but try to comprehend the article first..

You want to fuck with me too?

He is unresponsive, and practically dead as it is. Pulling the plug will not be murder.

In certain religions you can't pull the plug. You just can't do it. It's wrong.

Certain religions - well, all religions - are wrong and should have no say in making or applying law.

Orthodox Jew out here. Should not even have been a question. But these bastard doctors wanted to make some kind of statement. If it had gotten wilder I was going to go up and block the doors.

I'm a sort of born again christian by the way I was not going to let this happen to this man or his family.

I was not going to allow government or two freaking doctors that after all I paid for all my life with taxes tell me this man had to die.

Forum List

Back