Death Panels..Canadian Style

Ew.

As I've always said, the death cultists know that they're advocating murder. They just don't care.

He is unresponsive, and practically dead as it is. Pulling the plug will not be murder.

In certain religions you can't pull the plug. You just can't do it. It's wrong.

If someone has been lying in a bed for three YEARS, it is safe to say that there is no hope. Keeping them alive only prolongs the agony of the family, and it prolongs the natural death of someone who should have passed away years before.

My family discussed this issue years ago. We've decided that if something like this happened to us, we'd spend three months on life support, and if, after that time, we hadn't begun to make a recovery, we'd pull the plug.

No one on this planet gets to choose if I live or die.

If you are only being kept alive by a machine, are you really alive?

I beleive you have a choice. My mother chose to die. But she made that choice. It was one of the worst I ever went through. Because I believed different than her.

But she chose this. I respected her wish. I agonized all the way thru it. One day we will sort it out on the other side but I thought I would die fullfiling her wish.

I do respect my mother's wish though. She made the decision. I fulfilled her wish. As hard as it was. I fullfiled her wish.

After sticking all our youth with our debt and Dem-O-Care..reasonably, you gotta wonder.

---------------------:beer:

Last week Canada’s Supreme Court ruled that doctors could not unilaterally ignore a Toronto family’s decision to keep their near-dead husband and father on life support. In the same breath, however, the court also confirmed that, under the laws of Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, a group of government-appointed adjudicators could yet overrule the family’s choice. That tribunal, not the family or the doctors, has the ultimate power to pull the plug.

In other words: Canada has death panels.

Canada has death panels, and that?s a good thing.

For those who actually WON'T read the article, and there will be MANY:

".......At issue in the Ontario case was the fate of Hassan Rasouli, a retired engineer who has been comatose in a Toronto hospital since he suffered complications following brain surgery three years ago. When Rasouli’s doctors determined that he had no reasonable prospect of recovery, they sought to pull the plug. His family, convinced that Rasouli was slowly recovering, took his doctors to court.

Last Friday, they won. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled 5–2 that Ontario doctors may not decide to withhold treatment from patients in Rasouli’s condition without consent from the next-in-line decision maker.

In Rasouli’s case, that is his wife. But, if she refuses consent, then her husband’s doctors can still ask for a ruling from Ontario’s Consent and Capacity Board. The Supreme Court confirmed last week that the board has the power to overrule her.""""

""""....But American critics of Canadian health care will declare that merely asking this question is unacceptable, unethical, even unthinkable—and that it proves that the Canadian system gives doctors a dangerous incentive to kill off their patients as quickly as possible. They are wrong.""

Sorry, dumbass. Apparently you don't read either.

Oops Lumy 1 !!! :shock: :redface: :rofl:

After sticking all our youth with our debt and Dem-O-Care..reasonably, you gotta wonder.

Last week Canada’s Supreme Court ruled that doctors could not unilaterally ignore a Toronto family’s decision to keep their near-dead husband and father on life support. In the same breath, however, the court also confirmed that, under the laws of Ontario, Canada’s most populous province, a group of government-appointed adjudicators could yet overrule the family’s choice. That tribunal, not the family or the doctors, has the ultimate power to pull the plug.

Of course they have death panels, all government medical care will eventually end up with a death panel of some type.

No one on this planet gets to choose if I live or die.

I beleive you have a choice. My mother chose to die. But she made that choice. It was one of the worst I ever went through. Because I believed different than her.

But she chose this. I respected her wish. I agonized all the way thru it. One day we will sort it out on the other side but I thought I would die fullfiling her wish.

I do respect my mother's wish though. She made the decision. I fulfilled her wish. As hard as it was. I fullfiled her wish.

That was her wish, what is yours? Do you want to let nature take its course, or stay alive by a machine, just lingering?
IMO the kindest option is to let nature take over.

He is unresponsive, and practically dead as it is. Pulling the plug will not be murder.

In certain religions you can't pull the plug. You just can't do it. It's wrong.

If someone has been lying in a bed for three YEARS, it is safe to say that there is no hope. Keeping them alive only prolongs the agony of the family, and it prolongs the natural death of someone who should have passed away years before.

My family discussed this issue years ago. We've decided that if something like this happened to us, we'd spend three months on life support, and if, after that time, we hadn't begun to make a recovery, we'd pull the plug.

I'd only ask this. Party down. Bring in the freaking beers. Remember me and sing away.

Give it. Rock on. Do what I did for Pa. Give me a bobber because I love to fish. Give me a bullet because I love to hunt. Give me a black and purple negligee because I love to..........omgosh I won't say it.

For those who actually WON'T read the article, and there will be MANY:

".......At issue in the Ontario case was the fate of Hassan Rasouli, a retired engineer who has been comatose in a Toronto hospital since he suffered complications following brain surgery three years ago. When Rasouli’s doctors determined that he had no reasonable prospect of recovery, they sought to pull the plug. His family, convinced that Rasouli was slowly recovering, took his doctors to court.

Last Friday, they won. The Supreme Court of Canada ruled 5–2 that Ontario doctors may not decide to withhold treatment from patients in Rasouli’s condition without consent from the next-in-line decision maker.

In Rasouli’s case, that is his wife. But, if she refuses consent, then her husband’s doctors can still ask for a ruling from Ontario’s Consent and Capacity Board. The Supreme Court confirmed last week that the board has the power to overrule her.""""

""""....But American critics of Canadian health care will declare that merely asking this question is unacceptable, unethical, even unthinkable—and that it proves that the Canadian system gives doctors a dangerous incentive to kill off their patients as quickly as possible. They are wrong.""

Sorry, dumbass. Apparently you don't read either.

But they are also only wrong in part.

I read, I even keep reading.

Democrats range from basically "yeah, go ahead" to "Death Panels could never happen"

I guess they haven't been fully informed of what to think yet...:dunno:

That was her wish, what is yours? Do you want to let nature take its course, or stay alive by a machine, just lingering?
IMO the kindest option is to let nature take over.

She chose death.
Living Will . Do Not Resuscitate .I'm watching her pass. You stand there helplessly.

Death is strange.

Ever here of iron lungs? I guess all the people in those wer really dead, even if they could talk to the doctors. We should have just pulled the plugs.

They lived in a machine, I would want someone to pull the plug on me.

But see you could choose.

OK let me do this for you.

A man. A giant of a man reduced to 65 pounds. That was my father. 215 pounds of a truck driver Danny Boone wanting to live.

Never wanting to die. At what point do you say he has no right to live any more? Does anyone have the right to choose if he lives?

But I'll tell you honestly if my father had asked me to take him out I would have. These are horrible questions we face.

Blessedly God took him before I was faced with this question and this answer.

Ever here of iron lungs? I guess all the people in those wer really dead, even if they could talk to the doctors. We should have just pulled the plugs.

A man. A giant of a man reduced to 65 pounds. That was my father. 215 pounds of a truck driver Danny Boone wanting to live.

Never wanting to die. At what point do you say he has no right to live any more? Does anyone have the right to choose if he lives?

But I'll tell you honestly if my father had asked me to take him out I would have. These are horrible questions we face.

I'm sorry for your loss Tinydancer...I'm certain he loved you deeply as well.

I realize you are not parroting some RW site for sensational purposes, but the Slate article doesn't make sense. First, it acknowledges that the accepted US practice is when a family of a comatose person, who made no directed care provision prior to incapacity, disagrees with a treating physician's opinion that life support should be terminated, generally courts must decide the issue.

BUT, the article notes the family and the treating physician DISAGREE in this case. That is, it is the same facutal scenario as in the prior set of facts. The only difference is that apparantly in Ontario there's a board of docs, lawyers and lay people.

Consent and Capacity Board

The article honeslty states there's little differnce in having a judge or an administrative board make the decision in that it's still an independent decider in chief.

But then for whackadoodle notions the article then veers off and opinies Canucks trust the gummit more than us, and that's why they don't have guns. WTF?

The only difference I can see is that the court must adhere to the law when handing down a decision and they listen to all sides of the argument.

If a government appointed panel is just handed that power, they make the decision unilaterally. The decision by a panel is likely to center around cost.

Also, in Canada, retirees don't get the same quality of medical treatment as those who work. A friend of mine brings in about $200,000 a year, nearly half of which is taken by the government. He gets good care now, but has been told if he retires, the amount of care he is entitled to will be significantly reduced. It's almost like the government only takes care of those that make money so they can steal it. When you become a burden of the state instead of a payer, they could care less if you live or die.

I think Obamacare will be similar, because all socialized countries face the same problems. I doubt we'll see as many elderly people getting hip replacements, pacemakers and other expensive procedures. One Democrat stated years ago that senior citizens have a duty to die. I don't think much has changed in the way many leftwing nuts are thinking except that now they make decisions on peoples' lives, so their heartless views will seal the fate of many.

Last edited:

I was always daddys girl.

He made me tough. I didn't make it through rock n roll without being truck driver tough.

It's true when they say dad's count. I loved him so much and fathers do count big time. Not that my mom wasn't cool. She was awesome too.

I was always daddys girl.

He made me tough. I didn't make it through rock n roll without being truck driver tough.

It's true when they say dad's count. I loved him so much and fathers do count big time. Not that my mom wasn't cool. She was awesome too.

Heart warming..in my humble opinion your parents are surely proud of you..

I have three daughters and a son, I would hope that when I move along, each one of them truly believes I loved them best...

Last edited:

So? The Bush Administration sued Terri Schiavo's family saying "BIG GUBMINT" should make the decision whether or not to pull the plug on a loved one. And that the family's wishes no longer count.

don't LIE.
the family did not want any plugs pulled.The bastard greedy "husband" did.
It was a reverse case of the "death panels" issue.

although I have clearly mixed feelings towards the Canadian case...you can not have a comatose person on a ventilator and pressors in the ICU for 3 years. I am sorry - this does not happen even in the US :D
If the person is not breathing on his own for 3 years - he is not recovering.
Modern medicine can keep people in between life and death for years.Does not mean it is the right thing to do.

Forum List

Back