Dear Uncle Trump: Please EO away bilingual signs and declare English official language

Do we really need to post all those signs written in both English and Spanish? The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 stated "Where an employer’s workforce is comprised of a significant portion of workers who are not literate in English, the employer shall be responsible for providing the notice in a language in which the employees are literate.

The National Labor Relations Board also mandated that when 20 percent or more of an employer’s workforce is not proficient in English and speaks a language other than English, employers must provide the posting in the “language employees speak.”

“Do We Need to Post Labor Law Posters in Spanish?” - GovDocs

Some states have also passed their own laws requiring signs be printed in both English and Spanish. Many times, you also hear the "Press 2 for Spanish", when listening to an automated phone service.

Couldn't President Trump do away with that by means of an Executive Order? And maybe declare our official national language to be American English?
I hope you pressed one before posting this!

Do we really need to post all those signs written in both English and Spanish? The Family and Medical Leave Act of 1993 stated "Where an employer’s workforce is comprised of a significant portion of workers who are not literate in English, the employer shall be responsible for providing the notice in a language in which the employees are literate.

The National Labor Relations Board also mandated that when 20 percent or more of an employer’s workforce is not proficient in English and speaks a language other than English, employers must provide the posting in the “language employees speak.”

Some states have also passed their own laws requiring signs be printed in both English and Spanish. Many times, you also hear the "Press 2 for Spanish", when listening to an automated phone service.

Couldn't President Trump do away with that by means of an Executive Order? And maybe declare our official national language to be American English?

The purpose of offering other languages is te INCREASE BUSINESS. To provide services in the language your CUSTOMERS are comfortable using. I know, the concept of actually catering to and assisting people who are different than you is just so very hard to comprehend.

In Canada, we have everything in English (and French), unless you live in Quebec where everything is in French. But in downtown Toronto, we have street signs in Chinese, in Chinatown, we have stores in Little Italy where Italian is spoken if asked, and companies which have translators on staff for client bases where this is a strong ethnic presence. Asian firms are big on provide service in languages spoken by the clients. We have TWO official languages, but outside of Quebec you may struggle to find people who speak French. And inside Quebec, I recently struggled to find someone who spoke English.

What being a bilingual truly means is that GOVERNMENT SERVICES are available in both official languages. Which means that if you want a government job in Canada, you HAVE to be bilingual. As for businesses and companies offering customer service in languages other than English, well that's going to continue with or without an EO because that's just good business.

I can't believe you needed to have that explained to you.

The purpose of offering other languages is te INCREASE BUSINESS. To provide services in the language your CUSTOMERS are comfortable using. I know, the concept of actually catering to and assisting people who are different than you is just so very hard to comprehend.

In Canada, we have everything in English (and French), unless you live in Quebec where everything is in French. But in downtown Toronto, we have street signs in Chinese, in Chinatown, we have stores in Little Italy where Italian is spoken if asked, and companies which have translators on staff for client bases where this is a strong ethnic presence. Asian firms are big on provide service in languages spoken by the clients. We have TWO official languages, but outside of Quebec you may struggle to find people who speak French. And inside Quebec, I recently struggled to find someone who spoke English.

What being a bilingual truly means is that GOVERNMENT SERVICES are available in both official languages. Which means that if you want a government job in Canada, you HAVE to be bilingual. As for businesses and companies offering customer service in languages other than English, well that's going to continue with or without an EO because that's just good business.

I can't believe that don't think people who live her shouldn't speak our language, that we have to accommodate them.

Whut? There are no French people in Canada. Maybe you should have signs in English and Arabic instead.

I'm always pressing "one." Sorry if I sound "racist" but having lived in Texas, Spanish sounds nothing to me except the sounds of people imitating animal sounds. Mexican Spanish mostly resembles the sounds of chickens and goat, which is probably where they got their language from.

Their music is even worse: All Mexican music sounds like cheesy carnival music to me.

I can't believe that don't think people who live her shouldn't speak our language, that we have to accommodate them.

Wow, you really should learn English.

No.

Your Orange God is President, not Emperor, no matter how much you want him to be.
The little lop eared, kenyan, muslim dog turd was your messiah that sent a tingle up your leg. You had no problem with him signing E.O.'s like he was possessed.

Hard to speek englitch when yer as drunk as i be. :laugh:

Hard to speek engitch when yer as drunk as i be. :laugh:

Now you’re talking!

I'm always pressing "one." Sorry if I sound "racist" but having lived in Texas, Spanish sounds nothing to me except the sounds of people imitating animal sounds. Mexican Spanish mostly resembles the sounds of chickens and goat, which is probably where they got their language from.

Your sexual proclivities are influencing your auditory nerves.

Sorry, I don't speak Japanese. I tried but couldn't figure it out.

No surprise dumb ass Trump supporters aren't capable of learning another language :p
a lot of Spanish speaking countries are SHITHOLES
it would be stupid to learn/convert to that language

No surprise dumb ass Trump supporters aren't capable of learning another language :p

Yes, acquiring a new language and adding to your ability to work in the world is such a stupid thing to do. Why oh why did I waste all of that time learning French and German? I guess I learned to speak other languages because it enabled me to work at the highest levels of my field, and make more money than co-workers who lacked my ability to speak to and deal with clients in Europe.

One of my best friends was every dumber than me. She spoke French, Italian, German and Dutch, in addition to English. Total waste of time according to you. But my friend, who was the lead soprano of the Canadian Opera Company in the 1970's, used her language skills to sing opera in concert halls around the world, including LaScala, the Paris Opera House, and Carnegie Hall. French, Italian and German are the languages of opera. She learned Dutch because her husband is Dutch. During the last year of her life, she was offered a teaching job at the University of Stuttgart, but poor health forced her to decline. She would have to have taught the class in German. What a waste of time learning all those languages!

Spain is second only to Great Britain in exploring and colonizing the world, and as such, Spanish is second most spoken language in the world. 21 countries in the world speak Spanish. That second only to English with over 60.

So when you say that it would be "stupid" to learn Spanish, the only "stupid" thing that I see, is your comment.

Yes, acquiring a new language and adding to your ability to work in the world is such a stupid thing to do. Why oh why did I waste all of that time learning French and German? I guess I learned to speak other languages because it enabled me to work at the highest levels of my field, and make more money than co-workers who lacked my ability to speak to and deal with clients in Europe.

One of my best friends was every dumber than me. She spoke French, Italian, German and Dutch, in addition to English. Total waste of time according to you. But my friend, who was the lead soprano of the Canadian Opera Company in the 1970's, used her language skills to sing opera in concert halls around the world, including LaScala, the Paris Opera House, and Carnegie Hall. French, Italian and German are the languages of opera. She learned Dutch because her husband is Dutch. During the last year of her life, she was offered a teaching job at the University of Stuttgart, but poor health forced her to decline. She would have to have taught the class in German. What a waste of time learning all those languages!

Spain is second only to Great Britain in exploring and colonizing the world, and as such, Spanish is second most spoken language in the world. 21 countries in the world speak Spanish. That second only to English with over 60.

So when you say that it would be "stupid" to learn Spanish, the only "stupid" thing that I see, is your comment.
sure--let's acclimate to the cultures that are shitholes--that makes sense

You really think it’s the language they speak that causes social/economic/political problems in certain countries?

The ignorance of Republicans knows no bounds. That you're parrotting Trump's "shithole countries" lie show that you lack critical thinking skills.

If you want to do business with people, you need to speak their language. It's just good business. But here's the thing: All of these business offer their services in English. It's not like you have to speak Spanish to do business with these people. They're offering the OPTION of Spanish to help their customers. Why do you have a problem with that?

I also think that it behoves you to learn the language if you plan on living in a country, but learning takes time and practice. Ethnic enclaves make the transition easier, especially when confidence in the new language is lacking. It's ridiculous that you see this as a bad thing, but as I said in the first place, the ignorance of Republicans knows no bounds.

Why should we need to? I took foreign languages in High School and college but have never had a use for them.
We all did overseas and kept on speaking them...people here tell me how they studied french, Spanish or other languages in high school.... when I try talking to them they can't.

Forum List

Back