We sign treaties with those nations. If you visit there, and commit a crime that the treaty says they can prosecute you for, then you are screwed. That is different then you thinking they have full and complete jurisdiction over your person, as legal visitor with a US passport.
The country in which you are at the time has jurisdiction of and on you. You have no exclusion at all because you are an American.

I said that. These nations need to have control over the conduct and behavior of visitors. They need to be able to protect their nations from the harmful and disruptive actions of the people visiting their nation.

It's similar in and anecdotal way to people who visit your home, or shop in a store you might own. You can kick them out for being rude. You can call the police if they commit crimes, and your store security can detain them for the police if you shoplift. But other than that they do not have jurisdiction over your person.
That's a different matter. Everyone in the US whether a tourist, or foreign national or illegal is subject to US jurisdiction.

The US government has no jurisdiction over US citizens abroad. That's why Biden can't order Americans to leave Sudan or Afghanistan.

Nope. Our treaties have to do with extradition not which of their laws Americans can ignore.
The nation might have a law that only recognizes certain marriages, cannot make your interracial or same sex marriage illegal.
Laws which might allow a nation to jail or mistreat gays, cannot be inflicted on a US citizen who is gay.
Laws like the the 24 months of mandatory military service cannot be imposed on a US citizen.
Laws that impose punishments on the dress or behavior of the female citizens of their nation, cannot be forced upon US women visiting that nation.
Every nation has slight differences, but we sign treaties so they cannot impose some laws on US citizens who are visiting there.

In many respects, foreign nations cannot treat you the same as if you were a citizen of their nation, because you are a citizen of the US, and you fall under US jurisdiction.

The nation might have a law that only recognizes certain marriages, cannot make your interracial or same sex marriage illegal.
Laws which might allow a nation to jail or mistreat gays, cannot be inflicted on a US citizen who is gay.
Laws like the the 24 months of mandatory military service cannot be imposed on a US citizen.
Laws that impose punishments on the dress or behavior of the female citizens of their nation, cannot be forced upon US women visiting that nation.
Every nation has slight differences, but we sign treaties so they cannot impose some laws on US citizens who are visiting there.

In many respects, foreign nations cannot treat you the same as if you were a citizen of their nation, because you are a citizen of the US, and you fall under US jurisdiction.
Have you ever lived anywhere overseas?

That's a different matter. Everyone in the US whether a tourist, or foreign national or illegal is subject to US jurisdiction.

The US government has no jurisdiction over US citizens abroad. That's why Biden can't order Americans to leave Sudan or Afghanistan.
That is why we sign treaties, to ensure foreign nations respect our US citizenship.

Think of North Korea, when you wonder what it would be like if a nation assumed jurisdiction over your person. You visit North Korea, and you have no rights or freedoms, and that government will claim full jurisdiction over you, and you will be lucky if you are ever heard from again.

Have you ever lived anywhere overseas?
I served 22 years in the US military where i would live in a foeign country for six months to a year. I have lived abroad in foreign countries even after I retired. You really need to read the joint treaty that was signed between our two countries, before you decide to live there. When you choose to live in a foreign country you are no longer a visitor. You lose many of those those specific protections which apply to tourists. To live in a foreign nation requires that you obtain a visa from that nation, and now you fall under an entirely new set, of what could be, very limited Rights and freedoms. Your same sex marriage, for example, may no longer be recognized after you apply for a visa to live in that nation.

I served 22 years in the US military where i would live in a foeign country for six months to a year. I have lived abroad in foreign countries even after I retired. You really need to read the joint treaty that was signed between our two countries, before you decide to live there. When you choose to live in a foreign country you are no longer a visitor. You lose many of those those specific protections which apply to tourists. To live in a foreign nation requires that you obtain a visa from that nation, and now you fall under an entirely new set, of what could be, very limited Rights and freedoms. Your same sex marriage, for example, may no longer be recognized after you apply for a visa to live in that nation.
You're still under that country's jurisdiction.

I don't know much about US military abroad except that the US government can order you home.

You're still under that country's jurisdiction.

I don't know much about US military abroad except that the US government can order you home.
It's a limited jurisdiction. We are not under their jurisdiction, unless you think they can draft you into their military, force you to pay back taxes, and nullify your marriage, and toss you in prison for being in a gay marriage.

Like I said, North Korea is where they will claim to have complete jurisdiction over you.

If every damn nation has jurisdiction over you, then why have treaties at all, if when you set foot on foreign soil, they own you?

Good job being as wrong as you possibly can be.

Good job being as wrong as you possibly can be.
Then it should be a piece of cake to prove me wrong, instead of posting essentially, a weak "neener-neener-boo-boo." You can't prove that if you, as a 20 year old US male citizen visits South Korea, that their government can assume jurisdiction over you, and force you to join their military, as their nation's laws allow them to do with their 20 year old males. Foreign nations simply do not have full jurisdiction over foreign citizens visiting there country. The exception being rogue nations like North Korea, which do not respect the basic Rights to citizenship that the rest of the world does.

... their government can assume jurisdiction over you, and force you to join their military, as their nation's laws allow them to do with their 20 year old males. ...

No one said being under a nation's jurisdiction makes you a citizen of that nation. In the US, being born in the nation DOES make one a citizen of the nation.

Then it should be a piece of cake to prove me wrong, instead of posting essentially, a weak "neener-neener-boo-boo." You can't prove that if you, as a 20 year old US male citizen visits South Korea, that their government can assume jurisdiction over you, and force you to join their military, as their nation's laws allow them to do with their 20 year old males. Foreign nations simply do not have full jurisdiction over foreign citizens visiting there country. The exception being rogue nations like North Korea, which do not respect the basic Rights to citizenship that the rest of the world does.
That's not what jurisdiction means in South Korea. It means their laws are the only law in SK.

Is Wapasha a concrete learner. If so, that would explain much. Otherwise, knowing he is wrong, he refuses to admit it, which is far worse.

Forum List

Back