Dear Restaurant Owner.

Radicalredneckk

Gold Member
Jan 9, 2020
Say whatever you want to, but in my opinion Restaurants DO have a choice. Raising prices due to inflation is understandable and to a certain degree I agree with the restaurant owner. Bur I also have noticed and very often that some restaurants have been taking advantage of the situation and are OVERLY raising their prices, as for Credit Card charges, this is and always was added on the the restaurants mark-up on their prices. So doing both (raising Prices and charging for the use of Credit Cards ) is over doing a situation I definitely do not go out to eat as often as I used to.and when I do, I definitely look at prices before I order. . Especially when alcohol is involved. The nickle and dimeing BS has gotten out of hand. Many places have both Raised the prices drastically on drinks, and are either using a smaller glass, or not giving a decent pour. And that really makes me angry, as there is such a is a huge mark up on drinks.
So if you care about keeping your customers happy by being flexible and accommodating, don't over due the Nickle, and Dimeing, and don’t look for every angle to charge more. . It's going to cost you costumers trust me,Let you costumers eat and drink and be happy that they came to your restaurant. And believe me, if you don’t, they will fond a place where someone else will. The People that you serve are hurting as much as you are.

Say whatever you want to, but in my opinion Restaurants DO have a choice. Raising prices due to inflation is understandable and to a certain degree I agree with the restaurant owner. Bur I also have noticed and very often that some restaurants have been taking advantage of the situation and are OVERLY raising their prices, as for Credit Card charges, this is and always was added on the the restaurants mark-up on their prices. So doing both (raising Prices and charging for the use of Credit Cards ) is over doing a situation I definitely do not go out to eat as often as I used to.and when I do, I definitely look at prices before I order. . Especially when alcohol is involved. The nickle and dimeing BS has gotten out of hand. Many places have both Raised the prices drastically on drinks, and are either using a smaller glass, or not giving a decent pour. And that really makes me angry, as there is such a is a huge mark up on drinks.
So if you care about keeping your customers happy by being flexible and accommodating, don't over due the Nickle, and Dimeing, and don’t look for every angle to charge more. . It's going to cost you costumers trust me,Let you costumers eat and drink and be happy that they came to your restaurant. And believe me, if you don’t, they will fond a place where someone else will. The People that you serve are hurting as much as you are.
When the economy goes south, going out to eat moves from a staple of every-day living to a luxury fewer and fewer can afford. The reason the restaurants are cutting small corners here and there is because they don't want to give the customers sticker shock when they see menu prices go through the roof. It's standard practice. The bags of potato chips you buy have fewer chips in them than they used to. Cookies, the same thing. ALL consumer goods face price increases or smaller serving sizes to keep prices from skyrocketing. Look around you, it's happening everywhere.

That restaurant owner is not rolling in the dough, he's doing everything he can to keep business coming in and his company afloat.

And we over tip their employees.

When the economy goes south, going out to eat moves from a staple of every-day living to a luxury fewer and fewer can afford. The reason the restaurants are cutting small corners here and there is because they don't want to give the customers sticker shock when they see menu prices go through the roof. It's standard practice. The bags of potato chips you buy have fewer chips in them than they used to. Cookies, the same thing. ALL consumer goods face price increases or smaller serving sizes to keep prices from skyrocketing. Look around you, it's happening everywhere.

That restaurant owner is not rolling in the dough, he's doing everything he can to keep business coming in and his company afloat.
I just noticed my Kroger parmesan cheese is now cheaper cheese. A more find powder tasteless. They went cheap. So now I have to go back to name brand.

How much do you think they should earn?

Back when I was young I worked valet at Machus Red Fox. The fancy restaurant Hoffa was last seen at. The waiters there made enough to raise families.

I'd love to know waiters made a lot because of tips. I don't begrudge the waiters. I would love to learn they make $50,000 a year with all the tip money being under the table. That would please me. Or even $40K would be acceptable. They probably make $30K if they are lucky.

What is $20 hr? $40K a year? That would be nice if they made that much. With tips.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, waitresses earned a mean hourly wage nationally of $11.73 in 2016. The highest 10 percent made $18.49/hour, and the lowest earned $8.22/hour. Mean is the average of all workers' wages.

I just noticed my Kroger parmesan cheese is now cheaper cheese. A more find powder tasteless. They went cheap. So now I have to go back to name brand.
It's what happens when the economy goes south. Obviously, market research has shown that consumers prefer quality cuts over sharp price increases. Why do you think McDonalds and Walmart thrive when higher end businesses lose customers left and right?

Back when I was young I worked valet at Machus Red Fox. The fancy restaurant Hoffa was last seen at. The waiters there made enough to raise families.

I'd love to know waiters made a lot because of tips. I don't begrudge the waiters. I would love to learn they make $50,000 a year with all the tip money being under the table. That would please me. Or even $40K would be acceptable. They probably make $30K if they are lucky.

What is $20 hr? $40K a year? That would be nice if they made that much. With tips.

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, waitresses earned a mean hourly wage nationally of $11.73 in 2016. The highest 10 percent made $18.49/hour, and the lowest earned $8.22/hour. Mean is the average of all workers' wages.
I don't think we're over tipping them. They work, hard, and I don't mind giving a generous tip, especially when so many restaurants make them pool tip money to share equally with waiters, cooks and busboys.

It's what happens when the economy goes south. Obviously, market research has shown that consumers prefer quality cuts over sharp price increases. Why do you think McDonalds and Walmart thrive when higher end businesses lose customers left and right?
I just went and got 2 mcdoubles for $4. Seems to be the best bang for your buck.

Taco Bell is serving worm meat.

I think it's Trump's fault because he cut back on regulations that Obama put in place.

Don't blame the businessman for democrat anti business laws taxes and regulations.... just stop voting for democrats and the cost to eat out will level out.... in fact the cost of everything will go down...

In order for the economy to "work" people have to behave rationally with their spending. If you believe that a restaurant is over-charging, then don't go there. You may find out that others are doing the same thing, so you eat out less. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Coincidentally, I was talking to a cousin who owns a Pizza shop the other day. He raised the price of Wings when the price of chicken skyrocketed a while ago, but then it cratered (down to $1.00/lb for chicken wing meat), but he kept his prices where they were. Because he can. Nobody knows that the cost of chicken went back down. Or they don't care.

Restaurants are like every other business, they charge as much as the market will tolerate.

I second this. What keeps a business alive and kicking are the customers who come back and if they don't feel that they get their money's worth, they will go somewhere else.

God bless you and them always!!!

Holly

Those things are 3 dollars here. I remember when they were a dollar :rolleyes:
And those franchises are paying more to the companies from whom they order so to compensate they have to raise their consumer prices to keep their doors open and now there are tip jars at the window of those drive-ins or at least at the one we go to once a month which is much higher priced than the nation-wide franchises. Every time the two of us spend twenty-two plus change dollars for 2 cheeseburgers ( 1/4 lb. each) and two fries and only one beverage, we have to remind ourselves of the old adage, "these are the good ole' days" for that saying is still around and will be as those high prices are going to continue soaring in the future just as they have forever. Higher prices and higher wages control the cost of our dining out choices. It's called Inflation or recession, as you see it. One of these days soon we may not even have choices. :death:

In order for the economy to "work" people have to behave rationally with their spending. If you believe that a restaurant is over-charging, then don't go there. You may find out that others are doing the same thing, so you eat out less. That's the way it's supposed to work.

Coincidentally, I was talking to a cousin who owns a Pizza shop the other day. He raised the price of Wings when the price of chicken skyrocketed a while ago, but then it cratered (down to $1.00/lb for chicken wing meat), but he kept his prices where they were. Because he can. Nobody knows that the cost of chicken went back down. Or they don't care.

Restaurants are like every other business, they charge as much as the market will tolerate.
Or, just maybe the owner "kept his prices where they were" to apply to his other menu items that are skyrocketing out of reach or just to help keep his doors open. :eusa_think:

I don't think we're over tipping them. They work, hard, and I don't mind giving a generous tip, especially when so many restaurants make them pool tip money to share equally with waiters, cooks and busboys.
The tipping has gotten a bit out of hand in some of the higher end establishments. When two people go into a restaurant and order a $100 meal with a $30 bottle of wine plus tax of 7.5%, the tip should be figured on the meal alone--not tax and alcohol. Wages have increased in most states and many of these restaurants do the math on the entire ticket at 18% which is ridiculous. That $140 dollar meal that is consumed in 45 minutes ends up costing $161 @15%. At $15/hr with a $21 tip, that figures out to over $36/hr. Machinists, electricians and other skilled labor don't command those wages. I'd rather pick up a couple of USDA prime steaks and a $50 bottle of wine and eat it at home and save 50%.

And those franchises are paying more to the companies from whom they order so to compensate they have to raise their consumer prices to keep their doors open and now there are tip jars at the window of those drive-ins or at least at the one we go to once a month which is much higher priced than the nation-wide franchises. Every time the two of us spend twenty-two plus change dollars for 2 cheeseburgers ( 1/4 lb. each) and two fries and only one beverage, we have to remind ourselves of the old adage, "these are the good ole' days" for that saying is still around and will be as those high prices are going to continue soaring in the future just as they have forever. Higher prices and higher wages control the cost of our dining out choices. It's called Inflation or recession, as you see it. One of these days soon we may not even have choices. :death:
I recently saw a tip jar at a farmers market. I call that pan handling.

The independent restaurant business is one of the toughest businesses to pull a profit and survive on.

Restaurants are in a bit of a bind. They operate on margins, and the price of everything is going up. Not to mention younger folk just aren't going out and dining as much as people my age used to. They'd rather sit at home, order DoorDash, and watch Netflix or fuck around on TikTok. So what's a bar or restaurant owner to do?

The restaurants in high-income areas will be okay because their customers aren't as price-sensitive, but in blue collar neighborhoods or small towns, it might be a different story. Honestly, I kinda feel like supporting small, local business if I can - as long as they don't give me food poisoning.

Forum List

Back