Day of the Kamikaze

Oddball

Unobtanium Member
Jan 3, 2009
Drinking wine, eating cheese, catching rays
The father of one of our members, who will remain unnamed to protect their anonymity, was involved in this mess.

I also know an F-6 pilot from the Ticonderoga, who once told me that kamikaze attacks were the only time he felt safer out flying patrol missions than aboard the CV.

:salute:
On November 25, 1944, the first mass kamikaze attack occurred on the ships of the Third Fleet steaming off Luzon, Philippines. Six suicide craft plunged into four aircraft carriers — USS Hancock (CV-19); USS Essex (CV-9); USS Cabot (CVL-28); and USS Intrepid (CV-11).

Day of the Kamikaze • November 25, 1944

From the diary of a sailor aboard the USS Essex...

Following the Battle of Leyte Gulf, the Japanese command adopted desperate measures to neutralize Allied air power. The Sho Operation elevated the use of suicide air strikes. Enemy pilots would purposely dive their explosive laden planes into Allied warships. The aircraft carrier was the ultimate prize. The kamikazes were a major threat to naval vessels from October of 1944 through the spring of 1945.
On November 25, 1944 a kamikaze dove into the deck of the U.S.S. Essex. At 11:35 a.m. that morning a group of enemy planes took off from Malabacat Field in the Philippines and headed east. The first radar spotting on the Essex came at 12:35 p.m. and TG 38 was quickly alerted. Two enemy planes approached the Essex but broke away to avoid anti-aircraft fire. At 12:53 two more bogies appeared on the starboard side aft of the ship. One was a Yokosuka D4Y (Judy), a single engine bomber with a young pilot named Yoshinori Yamaguchi at the controls. Ironically Yoshinori's plane was not carrying a bomb yet he piloted it into a glide pattern directly for the Essex. The crew of the carrier recognized the danger and immediately began turning the ship to starboard to avoid the impact. At 12:56 p.m. the Judy crashed into the carrier. It hit just forward of the portside elevator. Sixteen anti-aircraft crew members were killed along with the enemy pilot. The U.S.S. Essex crew contained the damage and was launching aircraft by 1:35 p.m.

Kamikaze 11-25-1944 Part 1

:salute:

Spent seven wonderful days, really, as a GI on the APA Pierce going to Luzon for the invasion. Some kamikazes but don't remember any threatening us. Navy even fed us. Eight hundred ships as I remember.

I never heard my Dad talk about the war until he was interviewed for that movie.

My brothers were in the audience with me and we looked at each other like "wft?!" He was awarded a Purple Heart, but he never shared the details with us.

One of the best days of his life was Veterans Day in DC at the WWII Memorial when a group of High School students talked to him and treated him as if he were a living national treasure.

Thank you for that, J

It's gets a little easier as time passes, but it's still tough

Forum List

Back