Dark matter captured for the first time

Chris

Gold Member
May 30, 2008
A substance so common that it makes up three-fourths of all the matter in the universe, but which has never been seen because it is invisible, may have been captured at an old Minnesota iron ore mine.

The announcement, which if confirmed would be a hugely important discovery in the field of physics,was made by several American laboratories on Thursday. They said the find was made by detectors below ground at the bottom of the mine.

Scientists have theorized the existence of dark matter for more than 70 years. In 1933 the astronomer Fritz Zwicky argued that galaxies could not be held together unless an invisible material provided gravity. His experiments showed that the Coma galaxy cluster must have had a mass of about 400 times the amount that could be visually observed.

A 1980 paper based on spectrograph studies hypothesized that more than half of the mass of all of the galaxies in the universe would have to be comprised of dark matter because, otherwise, Newton's Law of Gravity would not be universal.

Scientists say they may have captured mysterious "dark matter"

No. That''s millions of degrees of heat radiating from the core of our planet.

"A 1980 paper based on spectrograph studies hypothesized that more than half of the mass of all of the galaxies in the universe would have to be comprised of dark matter because, otherwise, Newton's Law of Gravity would not be universal."

Translation: the bedrock principles of physics still are problematic, but Man Made Global Warming is "Settled Science"

☭proletarian☭;1827226 said:
No. That''s millions of degrees of heat radiating from the core of our planet.

"The scientists making the announcement on Thursday noted that there is about a 25 percent chance that the results obtained by the detectors in the Minnesota mine could be explained by other events."

They can't commit to the million degree heat as the explanation. Cowards! If Patton were here, he'd slap their faces!

Anyone else see the irony? Man-made Global Warming = Settled Science, but gravity = we're not too sure

Bueller?

anyone?

McFly?

Bueller?

In related news, light matter was discovered on top of the polar ice caps. This invisible matter is thought to emit heat and cause melting. Light matter is made by combining carbon dioxide with stupidity releasing a short burst of manipulated data. The manipulated data is thought to burn a whole in large quanitites of money, resulting in the release of heat.

"A 1980 paper based on spectrograph studies hypothesized that more than half of the mass of all of the galaxies in the universe would have to be comprised of dark matter because, otherwise, Newton's Law of Gravity would not be universal."

Translation: the bedrock principles of physics still are problematic, but Man Made Global Warming is "Settled Science"
Booosh is not longer president!

Behahahahaha

Anyone else see the irony? Man-made Global Warming = Settled Science, but gravity = we're not too sure

Bueller?

anyone?

McFly?

Bueller?

Let me explain science to you, Frank.

CO2 causes the earth to retain heat. This was proven experimentally in 1859.

So yes, global warming is settled science.

Bueller?

anyone?

McFly?

Bueller?

Let me explain science to you, Frank.

CO2 causes the earth to retain heat. This was proven experimentally in 1859.

So yes, global warming is settled science.

What a fucking retard. Seriously.

Yeah Global Warming is settled, but gravity eludes us. You're a waste of electrons.

Go suck a glacier

☭proletarian☭;1827427 said:
people... focus, dammit...

Dark matter and dark energy are still unknowns.

Hopefully this discovery will help us understand them.

It may lead us back to the word that no physicist dare utter.....ether.

I just wonder how the hell they found it in an old iron mine in Minnesota. The whole thing so far is kind fishy.

Dark matter and dark energy are still unknowns.

No no... currently this is still in the realm of science fiction. It's up there with string theory. Hints that it exists but no proof of anything.

Ugh... Ether. How about Caloric Fluid?

Yeah, physics is a real shaky, specious science, unlike Climatology which is "Settled science"

Does Dark Energy Cause Global Warming? Nah.

Forum List

Back