DANG! Navy Can't Drive Ships: Here we go again,#5. Time to hire professional drivers. FFS!?

benfold_collision_navy.jpg

A U.S. warship sustained minor damage Saturday when it collided with a Japanese tug boat, the Navy's 7th Fleet announced.

The USS Benfold was conducting a scheduled exercise in Japan's Sagami Bay at the time of the collision.

The Japanese tug boat lost propulsion and drifted into the USS Benfold during a towing exercise.

The guided-missile destroyer, which remains at sea, will undergo a damage assessment and an investigation into the crash, according to ABC News.

The Benfold was operating under its own power, while the Japanese vessel was being towed to a port in Yokosuka, the statement said.

The Navy said the incident will be investigated.

The Benfold was conducting the routine training as part of a seamanship certification, said 7th Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Clay Doss.

:dunno: Hmmn? Interesting it remains at SEA! Where the Junk Tug was to close to a ship at sea. Ships crew is to blame, mostly. It a rule of thump went towing the smaller boat in downwind. So it floats away. The crew should have known this was the wrong location to be. Engines for Navy ships are never down during training Exercise, for the most part. as they may need to move ASAP! For other reasons.

btw: If the tug was coming to say my ship during these exercises if I was armed.
I would have sunk it before it hit. Without warning!

It remains at sea because only damage was the paint. The Japanese tug has no engines so of course it has to be towed back to port. What exactly do you use for brains?

A U.S. warship sustained minor damage Saturday when it collided with a Japanese tug boat, the Navy's 7th Fleet announced.

The USS Benfold was conducting a scheduled exercise in Japan's Sagami Bay at the time of the collision.

The Japanese tug boat lost propulsion and drifted into the USS Benfold during a towing exercise.

The guided-missile destroyer, which remains at sea, will undergo a damage assessment and an investigation into the crash, according to ABC News.

The Benfold was operating under its own power, while the Japanese vessel was being towed to a port in Yokosuka, the statement said.

The Benfold was conducting the routine training as part of a seamanship certification, said 7th Fleet spokesman Cmdr. Clay Doss.

:dunno: Hmmn? Interesting it remains at SEA! Where the Junk Tug was to close to a ship at sea. Ships crew is to blame, mostly. It a rule of thump went towing the smaller boat in downwind. So it floats away. The crew should have known this was the wrong location to be. Engines for Navy ships are never down during training Exercise, for the most part. as they may need to move ASAP! For other reasons.

btw: If the tug was coming to say my ship during these exercises if I was armed.

It remains at sea because only damage was the paint. The Japanese tug has no engines so of course it has to be towed back to port. What exactly do you use for brains?

Gee. I hope the tug was towed. Seems they can't handle it themselves and may learn.
Will be interesting to see why the navy was dealing with a Commercial cheap tug.
Today's tug has front and rear props. Each with own generator. Tuggers don't go down easy.

lady_laura.jpg

Some are front and rear. with these props.
Btw. Still waiting to see the tug. If the tug was being towed at the time, the crew is at fault. TBD?

Turkey is involved, I doubt it. Cute phrases explain little. (the phrase Deep State has origins in that region.)

Turkey is involved :confused-84:

I read the article that is linked in the OP and there is nothing mentioning Turkey in it.

Rephrased, Is Turkey involved? I doubt it. ( Deep State is used to reference Turkish government, I responded to Basque.)

btw: These LOSERS in the NAVY can't drive. Even with a captain on deck FFS!

btw2: If the tug was being towed, as the trainer towee. Again the crew is at fault.

I never said the engines were not down. I specifically said the screws were not turning. That is not some bass boat you just shove a lever forward and the boat jumps. The bridge rings the command down and the engine room does it. It does not happen instantly.

And you are saying you would have fired on a manned, friendly vessel to avoid a minor dent and some paint loss? WTF? You don't ever need to talk about Gun Nutters again, if you are willing to murder the entire crew of that tug boat to avoid a minor collision.

The Navy can't drive? The Navy wasn't driving. It was participating in a towing exercise. That is why I know the screws were not turning. You never have the screws turning when a smaller craft is alongside. They get sucked into the screws and destroyed (also damaging ship)

"...if I was armed. I would have sunk it before it hit. Without warning!"?? That is the sickest thing I've ever heard.

Gee. I hope the tug was towed. Seems they can't handle it themselves and may learn.
Will be interesting to see why the navy was dealing with a Commercial cheap tug.
Today's tug has front and rear props. Each with own generator. Tuggers don't go down easy.

lady_laura.jpg

Btw. Still waiting to see the tug. If the tug was being towed at the time, the crew is at fault. TBD?

Commercial tugs are used by the Navy all the time. Every time my ship pulled into port it was handled by a commercial pilot and commercial tug. Every time the submarine I served on pulled into either of the 2 ports it went in, it was a commercial pilot and commercial tug that got us to the pier.

"a tug boat lost propulsion and drifted into the ship"

Doofus OP thinks ships have brakes
Try again, It states tub hit the ship.
The ship is a mass moving object in the case.
You need to not ever drive boat or ships.

Yes, the tug hit the ship. The ONLY way anything could have been done is that the Navy ship would have had to start the screws turning, cast off all lines to that tug and any others operating with it, and gone Ahead Full to move out of the way. And it would have had to do that in the brief time between when they were told the tug lost power and when it was getting close to the ship. Once the tug got too close to the ship, if the screws on the destroyer were turning, every man on the tug would have died as it was sucked into the screws.

I have driven ships. I know exactly what happens. This was an accident that was TOTALLY the fault of the tug and the tug captain.

It's can be. At the docks. But outside in the bay. Nope! The tubs are monitoring the winds.
Both for where the ships being pushed, and where, NOT TO BE!
But we will have more US NAVY crashes. It's the In THANG!

The Navy ship was not under its own propulsion. It was hit by a drifting tug with no power. This is not like a parking lot where you can stop or backup at the drop of a hat. This is a 500' that displaces 6,900 tons. The tug is responsible. The Navy couldn't have done anything that would not have been more hazardous.

Well they could have blown it out of the water. :rolleyes:

Nope! Guns won't depress that low,

btw2: If the tug was being towed, as the trainer towee. Again the crew is at fault.

I never said the engines were not down. I specifically said the screws were not turning. That is not some bass boat you just shove a lever forward and the boat jumps. The bridge rings the command down and the engine room does it. It does not happen instantly.

And you are saying you would have fired on a manned, friendly vessel to avoid a minor dent and some paint loss? WTF? You don't ever need to talk about Gun Nutters again, if you are willing to murder the entire crew of that tug boat to avoid a minor collision.

The Navy can't drive? The Navy wasn't driving. It was participating in a towing exercise. That is why I know the screws were not turning. You never have the screws turning when a smaller craft is alongside. They get sucked into the screws and destroyed (also damaging ship)

"...if I was armed. I would have sunk it before it hit. Without warning!"?? That is the sickest thing I've ever heard.

I think you need to read it again. You have a few facts wrong.

The USS Benfold was operating under its own power before or after the incident? I thought it was meaning the Benfold was operating under its own power after the incident, and would assess damage, while the tugboat was being towed back in.

The article specifically says the accident happened when tugboat lost propulsion. So it was under power just before that. A tug being used to position or tow a destroyer would mean the destroyer was not under her own power at the time.

The link in the OP said "The Japanese tug boat lost propulsion and drifted into the USS Benfold during a towing exercise."

and not only Westwalls link to purged Experienced Military but look at the types that 'mrobama' had as advisers and confidants . Look at the 'iranian' valery jarret , hilary clinton , al sharpton , bill clinton , marie harf and the red headed chick and others that were all part of 'mrobamas' wrecking crew . And none of them needed to be ordered to wreck America as they all knew what 'mrobama' wanted as they were all mrobama types and they all wanted the USA wrecked . A big part and maybe the most important part of America is the Navy and Military and mrobama wanted that also wrecked WBorn .

Valeria Jarrett is about as American as I am. Her parents were African-Americans who ran a children's hospital in Iran in the 1950s.

Please stop spreading misinformation. It's unnecessary and very unbecoming.

Its a message to the USA. China is using the Shadow Brokers hacked codes to control US Naval vessels in the Pacific. We would be absolutely powerless in a naval war against them.

lady_laura.jpg

As for why the Navy was using a commercial tug, they were in a foreign port.

and not only Westwalls link to purged Experienced Military but look at the types that 'mrobama' had as advisers and confidants . Look at the 'iranian' valery jarret , hilary clinton , al sharpton , bill clinton , marie harf and the red headed chick and others that were all part of 'mrobamas' wrecking crew . And none of them needed to be ordered to wreck America as they all knew what 'mrobama' wanted as they were all mrobama types and they all wanted the USA wrecked . A big part and maybe the most important part of America is the Navy and Military and mrobama wanted that also wrecked WBorn .

Valeria Jarrett is about as American as I am. Her parents were African-Americans who ran a children's hospital in Iran in the 1950s.

Please stop spreading misinformation. It's unnecessary and very unbecoming.
------------------------------- well then , you are about as American as 'mrobama' and 'valery jarret' , Admiral !!

The USS Benfold was operating under its own power before or after the incident? I thought it was meaning the Benfold was operating under its own power after the incident, and would assess damage, while the tugboat was being towed back in.

The article specifically says the accident happened when tugboat lost propulsion. So it was under power just before that. A tug being used to position or tow a destroyer would mean the destroyer was not under her own power at the time.

The link in the OP said "The Japanese tug boat lost propulsion and drifted into the USS Benfold during a towing exercise."

Now, I think you have it, and perhaps I was confused. My apologies. However, I don't think you understand the propulsion systems on marine gas turbine ships.

The propellers on a gas turbine ship are always turning, but to use an aviation term, the blades are "feathered" so they are producing no thrust. When the ship wants to go forward or backwards, the pitch on the propellor is increased to provide forward or reverse thrust. This makes these ships incredibly maneuverable as the response to the controls is very quick. The thrust can be controlled from the bridge or in engineering. I believe confusion over who was controlling the engines contributed to one of the other collisions on the McCain or Fitzgerald.

These ships can go from all ahead flank to all back full in the very short time it takes for the blades on the propellor to adjust. Their stopping distance is much shorter by comparison. The engines do not have to stop and then reverse like they do on a steam powered ship without that ability.

Forum List

Back