D.C. Lawmakers Propose Requiring Students to Apply to College

Applying for college is an applicable skill to use once you complete high school. Gee, who'da thought.

And then, there's calling the Registrar's office and asking 'where do I go to apply!'

I successfully applied to a business school where I got my Associates degree, a university where I got my Bachelor's degree, and another university where I got my Master's degree. I had no problem figuring it out without a mandatory workshop in high school.

Your pride shouldn't make you cocky. Some people aren't witty, and that doesn't make them less.

They're not forced to attend. Theyre only forced to go through the application process as a manner of LEARNING IT, same as the rest of their mandatory curriculum is "forced." If they dont like it they can be home schooled.

Who said they were forced to attend? They're all being forced to waste time going through the entire process even if they have no intention of going at all. How about spending that time on skills far more useful in the real world.

Because you are slowly trying to get rid of those skills as well.
Y'know, they don't let pathological liars into the USAF.

And then, there's calling the Registrar's office and asking 'where do I go to apply!'

Sunshine,

You're right, of course, except not everyone has the same "lightbulb" as the majority of people with good sense posess.

When I took a Computer course in college, we spent the first few days learning what a "mouse" is, what a "keyboard" is, etc, and the majority of the class were looking around at each other life..........what the fuck?!?!?!

Meanwhile, there were about three people who have (should be in Ripley's, tbh) not used a CPU before.

CPU? You mean PC right?

CPU means central processing unit, which is attached to the motherboard.

I'm an "Ahhnald" fan lol

Oh no, not the natural enemy of conservatism, EDUCATION!
Kid, quit being stupid for at least two minutes in a row.

Government has no business mandating anything like this.
So much for the 'let local governments run local school systems' notion. Perhaps the federal government has no place, but the local boards of education and the states have that right and responsibility.

Unless the entirety of the United States public school system is now in the Conservative's cross-hairs. And that would bolster the perception of education really being the natural enemy of Conservatives.

So much for the 'let local governments run local school systems' notion. Perhaps the federal government has no place, but the local boards of education and the states have that right and responsibility.

Who said they don't? Who has criticized local governments running local school districts? Please name the individual who did this because I didn't read that anywhere.

Unless the entirety of the United States public school system is now in the Conservative's cross-hairs. And that would bolster the perception of education really being the natural enemy of Conservatives.
Good thing D.C has solved all their other problems, huh?

This is a solution without a problem.

Yeah, they can do what they like -- I don't live there, thank Gaea.

But I reserve the right to voice my opinion, if that's okay with you.

And even if it's not. :lol:

Who said they were forced to attend? They're all being forced to waste time going through the entire process even if they have no intention of going at all. How about spending that time on skills far more useful in the real world.

How long were you in the military?

I actually met a person whos real first name was 'Nosmo'.

His real last name was 'King'.

Kind of a cruel joke for a parent to play on their child. Maybe they were post office employees.

So much for the rightist mantra of allowing local communities to decide.

D.C. Council Chairman Kwame Brown, who introduced the bill, said the proposal would establish a "mandatory workshop" to teach teenagers how to apply for aid and admission. It would then require everybody to apply to at least one post-secondary school before graduation.

Local communities may compose whatever graduation requirements they wish.

Brown, in making the case for his bill, argued that several top charter schools in D.C. already require students to apply to multiple colleges. Such a requirement, however, is rare in a public school system.

If private schools already have the same requirement, why would conservatives object to the requirement in public schools?

Twenty years. Two SECRET security investigations.

So, if you're bravely defending your fellow leftist here, perhaps you can say which conservatives are trying to get rid of education in useful real-world skills?

But, of course, you can't.

I am assuming that everyone understands that the 'local' government in D.C. is the U.S. Congress.

Kind of scary if you think about it.

So much for the rightist mantra of allowing local communities to decide.

D.C. Council Chairman Kwame Brown, who introduced the bill, said the proposal would establish a "mandatory workshop" to teach teenagers how to apply for aid and admission. It would then require everybody to apply to at least one post-secondary school before graduation.

Local communities may compose whatever graduation requirements they wish.

Brown, in making the case for his bill, argued that several top charter schools in D.C. already require students to apply to multiple colleges. Such a requirement, however, is rare in a public school system.

If private schools already have the same requirement, why would conservatives object to the requirement in public schools?

Because minorities may get all the financial aid from working class white kids.

He hasn't been to a recruitment center ever. Or MEPS.
Wonder how I got to run around outside the wire to visit the Ziggurat of Ur outside Ali Air Base in Iraq packing an M-9, then?

1001598g.jpg

And it was clever of me to con this full-bird colonel into faking my retirement ceremony, huh?

81115961.jpg

Or you could just admit you're mindlessly lashing out like a little bitch. That's far more plausible.

Now with unadulterated BS.

Reason?

I'll I've heard on this forum for the past few days is how bad education is from the conservative members. Give me a reason to think you actually care about our education competing with other countries.

Many areas of the country are bad. You couldnt possibly defend what happened in Atlanta and later discovered throughout the country. You just can not ignore how education has fallen since the Dept came on line. I am not against national standards. Just how the money is pissed away.

I am assuming that everyone understands that the 'local' government in D.C. is the U.S. Congress.

Kind of scary if you think about it.

Not on these type of matters.Study the topic.

On all matters. D.C. has no State representation. None. The municiple authority is Congress. Why do you think the D.C. police cannot arrest a Kennedy for drunk driving?

You study it.

Twenty years. Two SECRET security investigations.

So, if you're bravely defending your fellow leftist here, perhaps you can say which conservatives are trying to get rid of education in useful real-world skills?

But, of course, you can't.

I think you are lying about being in the military.

You, are trying to get rid of education in useful real-world skills. I spent my last six years in the military going to businesses trying to overturn rip-off contracts that junior sailors signed. Learning how to fill out contracts, applications and dealing with financial situations is a very useful real-world skill.

Forum List

Back