Curt Schilling says the haters kept him out of the HOF because he's republican

ShootSpeeders

Gold Member
May 13, 2012
It's true that smoltz and schilling had near identical career records and smoltz easily made it into the HOF yesterday while schilling didn't come close for the third straight year.
Curt Schilling says being a Republican cost him Hall of Fame votes - The Washington Post
jan 7 2015
Tuesday wasn’t Curt Schilling’s day to be elected to baseball’s Hall of Fame and the Boston Red Sox former great believes his politics are one reason he fell short of the necessary number of votes.
Schilling’s former teammate, Pedro Martinez, was elected, along with Randy Johnson, John Smoltz and Craig Biggio. Although he and Smoltz have similar stats, Schilling fell 240 votes short.
Schilling was an ardent supporter of former President George W. Bush and believes his politics cost him about 100 votes. He needs 75 percent of the votes from members of the Baseball Writers Association of America and he received 39.2 percent, a 10 percent increase from last year.
“When human beings do something, anything, there’s bias and prejudice,” Schilling said. “Listen, nine percent of the voters did not vote for Pedro. There’s something wrong with the process and some of the people in the process when that happens. I don’t think that it kept me out or anything like that, but I do know there are guys who probably will never vote for me because of the things I said or did. That’s the way it works.”

• Banned
Not only did they have similar records in regular season play but they also were similarly outstanding in the post season.

Smoltz did win a CY and schilling never did though curt was second 3 times.

It really is hard to see why the voting went so differently for these two.

Smoltz was HoF character as a starter and a reliever.

Curt Schilling will be similar to Bagwell: just fell short.

• Banned
Smoltz is also a HUGE conservative! Fully documented and everything. Which I think is hilarious considering the OP.

What makes you think smoltz is a huge conservative?
Are you that stupid??? DO SOME GOOGLING BEFORE YOU CALL SOMEONE OUT!

Do you WANT me to make you look stupid?

HAHAHA. Just as i thought. You have no evidence and were caught making stuff up. The board demands an apology.

Smoltz is also a HUGE conservative! Fully documented and everything. Which I think is hilarious considering the OP.

What makes you think smoltz is a huge conservative?
Are you that stupid??? DO SOME GOOGLING BEFORE YOU CALL SOMEONE OUT!

Do you WANT me to make you look stupid?

HAHAHA. Just as i thought. You have no evidence and were caught making stuff up. The board demands an apology.
You know why Barry Bonds wasn't elected???

BECAUSE HE'S A LIBRUL!!! AAAAARRRGHGGHHGHGHGHGHG!!!!!

:rofl:

Hey einstein. Bagwell was a 1B not a P. Bagman may have been the second greatest 1B of all time, trailing only gehrig He belongs too. Maybe bags has been kept out because of steroid suspicions.

Is it the Republican thing? I think so. That or he just made an unimaginable amount of enemies (which is not far fetched given his sometimes abrasive personality).

This article basically shows how Smoltz and Schilling are the same guy. Actually, it notes that Schilling is a little better by the numbers and reality; and I would agree...One get 82 percent of the vote and the other gets 39? Give me a break. The media is definitely shameless for the umpteenth time...

With John Smoltz elected to Hall of Fame no excuse for keeping Curt Schilling out - Over the Monster

Schilling has slightly better regular season numbers than Smoltz. And despite Smoltz's reputation for being a big game pitcher, Schilling has even better post season numbers also.

Got to be honest, when I first saw the headline, I thought Schill was just playing a card that may or may not have some numbers. But now that I have studiously looked at it; the media has no fucking shame. It used to be that the sports media was fairly immune to the BS in the rest of the media. That would seem to no longer be the case.

Schilling also spent half his career with the Phillies who, except for in '93, sucked. Smoltz was chalking up wins with the Braves when they were "America's" team.

Schilling was the best clutch pitcher ever.

Schilling also spent half his career with the Phillies who, except for in '93, sucked. Smoltz was chalking up wins with the Braves when they were "America's" team.

Schilling was the best clutch pitcher ever.

Christy Matthewson is turning in his grave....

Actually, Schilling (and Smoltz) is (are) one (two) of a handful or two of pitchers who are arguably the best postseason pitchers ever. That's what makes the non-selection egregious even without the comparison.

Hard to compare Schillings stats to Smoltz who gave up a starting job for a spot in the bullpen for the good of the team. Smoltz was a hell of a reliever too

I think Smoltz just makes the HOF and Schilling just misses

To blame his lack of HOF credentials on being a Republican is just laughable

Hey einstein. Bagwell was a 1B not a P. Bagman may have been the second greatest 1B of all time, trailing only gehrig He belongs too. Maybe bags has been kept out because of steroid suspicions.
Why the insult? We are talking baseball. I know both Bagwell and Biggio plus other players of the last forty years, so, yes, I know the positions they played.

You have a conspiracy theory without any support.

Bags will not make it except by Veterans Committee. He does not have the longevity or the super stats. His great year was truly great. But he was no Frank Thomas.

No conspiracy at all.

Also, with twice the number of players the last thirty odd years or so, the competition gets tougher.

Bags will not make it except by Veterans Committee. He does not have the longevity or the super stats. His great year was truly great. But he was no Frank Thomas.

Longevity? You mean like kiner or koufax? Bags had a decently long career and he had a bunch of great seasons, 1994 being sensational. He's one of the top 50 players of all time and should not need the VC to make the hall. Was the Big Hurt better? If so just slightly.

Forum List

Back