Current law and police work catch guys selling illegal guns in Chicago, no new laws needed...

Don't try to tell me what I want, you idiot. You have enough trouble figuring out what you want.

You said what you wanted. What you want won't work. If someone that shouldn't have a gun legally wants a gun and the typical avenue of getting it is not there, they will find a way. That's why they're called criminals. When you can prove to me that words in a law will stop those that shouldn't have guns from getting them, period, I'll support it.

That's stupid. Using your logic, if someone that shouldn't be in your house when you are gone wants in your house, he will find a way. That's why they are called criminals. Breaking and entering laws are a waste. When you can prove to me that words in a law will stop those that shouldn't get in your house when you aren't there from getting in when you aren't there, period, I'll support it.

They will find a way. Happens all the time. In fact, someone in my neighborhood was broken into last week. The person or persons breaking in shouldn't have been there, obviously wanted to be there because they went in, which means they found a way to do it. To say they didn't want in is ridiculous.

Never said they didn't want in. I said your logic deems breaking and entering laws moot. The same could be said for all our laws. Murder, theft, rape, all have laws against them, yet they still happen, Using your logic we shouldn't have those laws anyway, because they aren't 100% effective in every case.

We already have laws against the illegal sale of guns.
We already have laws about murder and assault

We have laws that pertain to every conceivable illegal use of a firearm.

So tell me what law do you propose?

He proposes more of the same. Apparently his mindset is that if we have more than (fill in the blank) number of laws pertaining to gun use the criminals will realize we mean business and stop being criminals.

You get a signed title and a bill of sale. Both, by law, have to be registered with your State.

No they don't.

You get the title which is the bill of sale and if you don't register the car you don't have to notify the state of the purchase.

The title is a certificate of legal ownership. Until you transfer title, you don't legally own the car.

But it does not have to be reported.

I buy a car. The owner hands me the title.

The state doesn't know and doesn't have to know unless I register the car which btw I do not have to do if I am not going to drive that car on public roads.

How do you know the guy that sell you the car has legal right to do so?

How do you know the car isn't stolen?

How do you know if there is a legal lien?
Because he holds the title

Have you never bought a car for cash?

People do not leave the title of the car in the vehicle.

If you buy a stolen car the piece of shit criminal selling it will not have the title

A title, in and of itself doesn't determine that the seller has the right to sell a vehicle. If a partnership in the vehicle has been registered with the State, or a lien has been registered with the State. Any and all have to be satisfied before you have legal right to the vehicle.

Yes. My portfolio owns 63 collector cars ALL paid in cash.

Why would you try to compare theft of property with sexual assault? You must have voted for Donald "Grab Her By The Pussy" Trump.

Texas Transportation Code

545.404 UNATTENDED VEHICLE

An operator may not leave the vehicle unattended without:

(1) stopping the engine;

(2) locking the ignition;

(3) removing the key from the ignition;

(4) setting the parking brake effectively; and

(5) if standing on a grade, turning the front wheels to the curb or side of the highway.

And yes, you may well be cited for it after having your car stolen.

It's the same in all 50 States.

And if the car gets stolen the owner is not the one at fault

I've posted the law.

OK so when was the last time a person who had his car stolen was arrested for not locking the doors or setting the parking brake?

Let me help you out here.

Never.

I've already posted the law. Do you condone breaking the law?

Answer my question.

Has anyone ever been arrested for not locking his vehicle?

and FYI I don't live in TX

I don't know, but it is a violation of law in all 50 States. Do you condone breaking the law and violating common sense?

Yes, those were what is known as straw purchasers. Not the same as individual sellers who can legally sell their guns to anybody without any background check, paperwork, or records of any kind. They aren't even required to ask the purchaser's name.

And of course you have no idea what you are talking about with this issue.....the criminal buying the gun....can already be arrested for buying the gun....using current laws and current police work. Selling private property is not a crime.....you want to make it a crime. The anti gun leadership want to use universal background checks to get universal gun registration...they could give a rats ass about criminals getting guns from private sellers....all they want is to get universal background checks so that they can then demand universal gun registration...you can't have universal background checks without registering all guns...other wise you won't know who originally had the gun.

And criminals will still get guns even if you mandated a background check for private sales......these guys...they went to a licensed gun dealer....filled out the paperwork, went through the background check, the gun store kept records of the sale....

And the licensed gun dealer even asked them their names......and they even told the dealer their names....

And they took those legally purchased guns, having gone through all of your hoops....and sold the guns to felons......

Universal background checks will be passed by the same people because they can pass background checks....criminals will use those people to buy their guns and if they want a gun a private seller has, they will use friends and family and other straw buyers who can already pass background checks...making your post silly and pointless....

Who wants people to stop selling private property? I just want to keep people who can't legally buy guns from buying guns. Universal background checks will help with that.

Bullshit.

What do you propose be done about those obtaining guns by stealing them? What universal check is going to stop that?

So anything less than 100% effective in all cases is a good excuse not to do it? Sounds pretty childish to me.

No....but what you propose doesn't even get close to 10% effectiveness......and the only reason the anti gun leadership wants what you want, is to be able to demand gun registration....

And of course you have no idea what you are talking about with this issue.....the criminal buying the gun....can already be arrested for buying the gun....using current laws and current police work. Selling private property is not a crime.....you want to make it a crime. The anti gun leadership want to use universal background checks to get universal gun registration...they could give a rats ass about criminals getting guns from private sellers....all they want is to get universal
checks so that they can then demand universal gun registration...you can't have universal background checks without registering all guns...other wise you won't know who originally had the gun.

And criminals will still get guns even if you mandated a background check for private sales......these guys...they went to a licensed gun dealer....filled out the paperwork, went through the background check, the gun store kept records of the sale....

And the licensed gun dealer even asked them their names......and they even told the dealer their names....

And they took those legally purchased guns, having gone through all of your hoops....and sold the guns to felons......

Universal background checks will be passed by the same people because they can pass background checks....criminals will use those people to buy their guns and if they want a gun a private seller has, they will use friends and family and other straw buyers who can already pass background checks...making your post silly and pointless....

Who wants people to stop selling private property? I just want to keep people who can't legally buy guns from buying guns. Universal background checks will help with that.

No....you want to keep normal, law abiding citizens from selling their guns....criminals can already be arrested for buying, owning or carrying a gun...we can do that right now, under current law.

Universal background checks will not help with that...the same way current, federally mandated background checks did not stop these guys from selling guns to criminals.....did you read the post? Because that seems to have gotten past you....

Don't try to tell me what I want, you idiot. You have enough trouble figuring out what you want.

You said what you wanted. What you want won't work. If someone that shouldn't have a gun legally wants a gun and the typical avenue of getting it is not there, they will find a way. That's why they're called criminals. When you can prove to me that words in a law will stop those that shouldn't have guns from getting them, period, I'll support it.

That's stupid. Using your logic, if someone that shouldn't be in your house when you are gone wants in your house, he will find a way. That's why they are called criminals. Breaking and entering laws are a waste. When you can prove to me that words in a law will stop those that shouldn't get in your house when you aren't there from getting in when you aren't there, period, I'll support it.

No...again, the dumb argument you guys try to say we are making, and we aren't. You are making the dumb argument.

The law states the act, and then attaches a punishment for committing the crime.....if you break into a house you go to jail....same thing with guns, you use them for a crime you go to jail, you get caught carrying one when you are a criminal you go to jail......

You guys want laws that prevent the criminal act in the first place...and that isn't how it works......so you keep creating new preemptive laws that only effect law abiding people.....

We know that laws don't stop criminals...we know that punishment is given when a law is broken...you don't care about the punishment...you think laws will prevent criminal action....and that is really fucking stupid.

No....you want to keep normal, law abiding citizens from selling their guns....criminals can already be arrested for buying, owning or carrying a gun...we can do that right now, under current law.

Universal background checks will not help with that...the same way current, federally mandated background checks did not stop these guys from selling guns to criminals.....did you read the post? Because that seems to have gotten past you....

They will find a way. Happens all the time. In fact, someone in my neighborhood was broken into last week. The person or persons breaking in shouldn't have been there, obviously wanted to be there because they went in, which means they found a way to do it. To say they didn't want in is ridiculous.

Never said they didn't want in. I said your logic deems breaking and entering laws moot. The same could be said for all our laws. Murder, theft, rape, all have laws against them, yet they still happen, Using your logic we shouldn't have those laws anyway, because they aren't 100% effective in every case.

No...that is your logic, not ours.....laws create the penalty for breaking the law...you want laws to physically prevent breaking the law in the first place, and that doesn't work in the real world. You define the punishment for criminal behavior, you don't try to prevent the criminal behavior through more and more laws that are ignored.

Yes, those were what is known as straw purchasers. Not the same as individual sellers who can legally sell their guns to anybody without any background check, paperwork, or records of any kind. They aren't even required to ask the purchaser's name.

And of course you have no idea what you are talking about with this issue.....the criminal buying the gun....can already be arrested for buying the gun....using current laws and current police work. Selling private property is not a crime.....you want to make it a crime. The anti gun leadership want to use universal background checks to get universal gun registration...they could give a rats ass about criminals getting guns from private sellers....all they want is to get universal background checks so that they can then demand universal gun registration...you can't have universal background checks without registering all guns...other wise you won't know who originally had the gun.

Bullshit.

What do you propose be done about those obtaining guns by stealing them? What universal check is going to stop that?

So anything less than 100% effective in all cases is a good excuse not to do it? Sounds pretty childish to me.

No....but what you propose doesn't even get close to 10% effectiveness......and the only reason the anti gun leadership wants what you want, is to be able to demand gun registration....

I'd say 0% effective.

No they don't.

You get the title which is the bill of sale and if you don't register the car you don't have to notify the state of the purchase.

The title is a certificate of legal ownership. Until you transfer title, you don't legally own the car.

But it does not have to be reported.

I buy a car. The owner hands me the title.

The state doesn't know and doesn't have to know unless I register the car which btw I do not have to do if I am not going to drive that car on public roads.

How do you know the guy that sell you the car has legal right to do so?

How do you know the car isn't stolen?

How do you know if there is a legal lien?

People do not leave the title of the car in the vehicle.

If you buy a stolen car the piece of shit criminal selling it will not have the title

A title, in and of itself doesn't determine that the seller has the right to sell a vehicle. If a partnership in the vehicle has been registered with the State, or a lien has been registered with the State. Any and all have to be satisfied before you have legal right to the vehicle.

Yes. My portfolio owns 63 collector cars ALL paid in cash.
You really never have bought a car for cash have you?

If there is a lien on the car then the lien holder keeps the title.

you do not ever buy a car for cash unless the title can be produced.

and sorry but no one here believes you own 63 classic cars because you are so fucking ignorant about buying them

And if the car gets stolen the owner is not the one at fault

I've posted the law.

OK so when was the last time a person who had his car stolen was arrested for not locking the doors or setting the parking brake?

Let me help you out here.

Never.

I've already posted the law. Do you condone breaking the law?

Answer my question.

Has anyone ever been arrested for not locking his vehicle?

and FYI I don't live in TX

I don't know, but it is a violation of law in all 50 States. Do you condone breaking the law and violating common sense?

It is not against the law to leave your car unlocked anywhere.

Bullshit.

I'd say 0% effective.

Of course you would, but you are a gun nut, after all.

Bullshit.

I'd say 0% effective.

Gun laws do not reduce crime. Never have never will.

Look at the most egregious crime, murder and tell me why that states with the strictest gun laws have higher murder rates than states with the most lax gun laws?

If gun laws reduced the murder rate wouldn't states with the harshest laws necessarily have lower murder rates?

Bullshit.

I'd say 0% effective.

Look at the most egregious crime, murder and tell me why that states with the strictest gun laws have higher murder rates than states with the most lax gun laws?

If gun laws reduced the murder rate wouldn't states with the harshest laws necessarily have lower murder rates?

So you think laws against murder are unnecessary? After all, if someone really wants to murder, a law won't stop him. What about laws against rape?

I'd say 0% effective.

So you think laws against murder are unnecessary? After all, if someone really wants to murder, a law won't stop him. What about laws against rape?

And again with that stupid attempt at a point.

The law defines behavior that is against the law, and then sets a punishment for breaking that law.

You morons want laws that prevent the breaking of laws......that is stupid.

We want the punishment for criminals who use guns to be a long prison sentence. This will keep violent killers away from the public for a long time...making their communities safer, and it will discourage the smarter criminals from using guns.....both of these are win wins for law abiding people...

You...you want to make process laws that stick it to law abiding gun owners.

Your way has nothing to do with lowering the crime rate, ours does.

I'd say 0% effective.

The law defines behavior that is against the law, and then sets a punishment for breaking that law.

We want the punishment for criminals who use guns to be a long prison sentence. This will keep violent killers away from the public for a long time...making their communities safer, and it will discourage the smarter criminals from using guns.....both of these are win wins for law abiding people...

No dumb ass. Isn't that one of your main oppositions to universal checks? They won't prevent some from breaking laws?

I'd say 0% effective.

All the laws do is spell out the consequences for committing an illegal act so they are necessary so criminals can be punished. The problem is we don't think criminals should be punished.

Laws do not prevent criminals from committing crimes

I'd say 0% effective.

No dumb ass. Isn't that one of your main oppositions to universal checks? They won't prevent some from breaking laws?

No, dumb ass.....that is my second reason, the first reason is that they will allow anti gunners like you to demand universal gun registration, which is the only reason anti-gun leaders want them...since current federal background checks don't stop criminals from getting guns.

And universal gun registration is then followed by banning and confiscating guns.....as seen in Germany, Britain, Australia, Canada, California and New York....

Bullshit.

I'd say 0% effective.

You don't care whether something is effective or not. You've even admitted it.

If you don't think people should have guns, when are you going to try and take them? I bet you're 0% man.

I'd say 0% effective.

They won't prevent anyone that wants a gun from breaking the law. Why do you think something written on a piece of paper saying don't break the law will stop people that want to break the law from doing so? Do you believe they pay attention to the piece of paper?

Forum List

Back