Current child poverty rate in the USA: 14.4%

Nostra

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2019
The claim by Democrats is their “Covid bill” will cut child poverty by 46%. So now we can track the rapid fall of child poverty down to around 7.8%.

How long until we get there?

A child in "poverty" in the USA is about the same as a child of the middle class in India or China. Poverty is relative and by world standards there are no poor people in the USA.
Of course, we are importing at the very least hundreds of thousands of Mexican and Central American poor every year, so the number will never fall and liberals will have something to agonize over forever.

Last edited by a moderator:
Only 11 million children in poverty?

we have at least 30 million shoeless illegal aliens working for very low wages

If all those people were deported the poverty rate would be much lower

Okay bro, this is like the 3rd topic in 24 hours you've made complaining about Child Poverty. We get it, you like child poverty.

I'm beginning to think it's some really weird pedophile thing where you want children to stay destitute and hungry so you can lure them with your candy van.
How long until your Messiah has the rate cut to 7.8%?

Okay bro, this is like the 3rd topic in 24 hours you've made complaining about Child Poverty. We get it, you like child poverty.

I'm beginning to think it's some really weird pedophile thing where you want children to stay destitute and hungry so you can lure them with your candy van.
Same time until your Messiah had a new Healthcare plan: 2 weeks

Same time until your Messiah had a new Healthcare plan: 2 weeks
Got you down for two weeks.

The claim by Democrats is their “Covid bill” will cut child poverty by 46%. So now we can track the rapid fall of child poverty down to around 7.8%.

Child poverty is describe as someone living in a home where the total home income is less than half the median income in the country. It is a sad situation, but is common to developed (in fact prosperous) nations. I am glad to see it addressed, yet doubtful of success. I just hope they do not come out with a label "the war on child poverty". When you declare war on something, it usually means you have already lost.
1615488534575.png

All we need is more illegal aliens that will replace American workers at lower salaries to increase the number of children at poverty levels.

Child poverty is describe as someone living in a home where the total home income is less than half the median income in the country. It is a sad situation, but is common to developed (in fact prosperous) nations. I am glad to see it addressed, yet doubtful of success. I just hope they do not come out with a label "the war on child poverty". When you declare war on something, it usually means you have already lost.
View attachment 466526
Nice decade old numbers, Cletus.

Who decides the "poverty rate"?
  • The official poverty thresholds are quite low: for one adult and two children, the federal poverty line is $20,598 per year; for two adults and two children, the federal poverty line is roughly $26,000 per year.

You didn't quote any Democrat claiming that this bill alone would bring child poverty down by 46%.

Yes, quite doable, and the time frame could be as short as three months. It is really pretty simple, the expansion of the child tax credit from two thousand to three thousand, $3,600 for children under six. Making the child tax credit completely refundable, and eliminating the age cap of 17 and the number of children cap at three, and we are talking some serious money going in to the hands of people that need it the most. Let us look at an example. A single mother, working at McDonalds, with two kids. If she worked 52 weeks of the year making ten dollars an hour, well she will just break past the poverty line. But with two kids, you know that is not going to happen. And knowing McDonalds, she probably is not going to be scheduled 40 hours every week of the year. The additional child tax credit, and the refundable part in particular, will easily move her and her children out of poverty.

Honestly, it is great economic policy. The multiplier on that money is going to easily exceed one. Pretty much every dime of it is going to be spent. I can think of only one way better to stimulate the economy, and that is student loan forgiveness. I mean this is a welcome reprieve from totally ineffective "tax-cuts" to the wealthy and corporations. If you think about it, if the government is going to spend money, and yes, damn skippy tax cuts are the same as spending money, I won't start on opportunity costs because I know that is far over the heads of most posters here. Well, it just seems like the government should operate just like your family and seek to get the most "bang for the buck". This expanded child tax credit comes with a huge BANG.

• The official poverty thresholds are quite low: for one adult and two children, the federal poverty line is $20,598 per year; for two adults and two children, the federal poverty line is roughly $26,000 per year.
It's a number made up by the government to justify government spending. In some parts of the United States, a couple with two children can do quite well on $26,000 per year.

You didn't quote any Democrat claiming that this bill alone would bring child poverty down by 46%.
Sorry for your ignorance. You should try to do something about that.

Yes, quite doable, and the time frame could be as short as three months. It is really pretty simple, the expansion of the child tax credit from two thousand to three thousand, $3,600 for children under six. Making the child tax credit completely refundable, and eliminating the age cap of 17 and the number of children cap at three, and we are talking some serious money going in to the hands of people that need it the most. Let us look at an example. A single mother, working at McDonalds, with two kids. If she worked 52 weeks of the year making ten dollars an hour, well she will just break past the poverty line. But with two kids, you know that is not going to happen. And knowing McDonalds, she probably is not going to be scheduled 40 hours every week of the year. The additional child tax credit, and the refundable part in particular, will easily move her and her children out of poverty.

Honestly, it is great economic policy. The multiplier on that money is going to easily exceed one. Pretty much every dime of it is going to be spent. I can think of only one way better to stimulate the economy, and that is student loan forgiveness. I mean this is a welcome reprieve from totally ineffective "tax-cuts" to the wealthy and corporations. If you think about it, if the government is going to spend money, and yes, damn skippy tax cuts are the same as spending money, I won't start on opportunity costs because I know that is far over the heads of most posters here. Well, it just seems like the government should operate just like your family and seek to get the most "bang for the buck". This expanded child tax credit comes with a huge BANG.
Cool.

I have you down for 3 months.

View attachment 466526
Right on the old numbers. Looks like the Obama years in the interim saw improvement in the 20.5% number as people got back to work, through the years of trump to get to the April 2020 number, until he bungle the messaging on Covid and screwed the economy. Historical perspective are cool, aren't they?

It's a number made up by the government to justify government spending. In some parts of the United States, a couple with two children can do quite well on $26,000 per year.

I raised three boys. It took half of that 26 grand to feed them when they were all teens.

View attachment 466526
Right on the old numbers. Looks like the Obama years in the interim saw improvement in the 20.5% number as people got back to work, through the years of trump to get to the April 2020 number, until he bungle the messaging on Covid and screwed the economy. Historical perspective are cool, aren't they?
Child poverty rate was 18% in 2016, so Barry didn’t do shit. It fell under Trump.

Forum List

Back