Curious: What percent do employers contribute to SS/Medicare?

How much does employer pay for employee's SS and Medicare?

• Employer doesn't pay MY Medicare/SS!

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Employer pays 6.2% for SS and 1.45% for Medicare

Votes: 5 83.3%
  • I don't think Employers pay anything

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Employer pays half what I pay

Votes: 1 16.7%

• Total voters

healthmyths

Platinum Member
Sep 19, 2011
I want to know how many of you know the answer to this question:

How much of an employee's salary does the employer match with additional payment out of operating costs to Medicare/SS on behalf of employee?

1) Employer pays 6.2% for SS and 1.45% for Medicare
2) Employer doesn't pay MY Medicare/SS!
3) Employer pays half what I pay
4) I don't think Employers pay anything

The reason I ask this question is best illustrated by what recently has happened in the coal industry.
The proposals would bar the Environmental Protection Agency from restricting greenhouse gases, quash stricter fuel efficiency standards for cars and give states control over disposal of harmful coal byproducts. The vote coincides with a fresh campaign-trail effort by Mitt Romney to hammer President Obama over the impact the EPA's policies have had on the industry. It also comes after company Alpha Natural Resources announced earlier this week that it was eliminating 1,200 positions, closing eight coal mines across three states. The company cited a difficult market in which power plants are switching to abundant, less-expensive natural gas and "a regulatory environment that's aggressively aimed at constraining the use of coal."

Read more: House votes to rein in 'war on coal' after latest round of industry layoffs | Fox News

So if these 1,200 positions are eliminated how much in SS/Medicare payments instead of coming in will require Unemployment checks in exchange!

If Obama's track record of destroying businesses and putting people out of work continues with the next target being the 1,300 health insurance companies . With Obama's stated preference being:

"I happen to be a proponent of a single payer universal health care program."Obama's words exactly!!
which means:
"I prefer to destroy the 1,300 health insurance companies that pay $100 billion a YEAR in Federal/State/Local taxes AND local property taxes on their office buildings! I prefer to put out of work the 400,000 people that work in the health insurance companies!"
I prefer that the remaining 99% pay HIGHER TAXES BECAUSE I"VE destroyed coal companies, utilities, health insurance companies!

You can't have it both ways. Obama states single payer meaning destruction of 1,300 companies that
at annual salary average of $50,000 for the 400,000 employees elimination of almost 7.6% or $3 billion in payments to Medicare/SS gone!

Who makes up that difference?

But evidently NONE of you care that as Obama continues the path of destroying jobs, the tax burden gets more and more increasing for you!

How much of an employee's salary does the employer match with additional payment out of operating costs to Medicare/SS on behalf of employee?

As an employer, I have always considered FICA as a part of wages.

Yes as an employer YOU know better!
But almost all Americans Consider EVERY DIME put into SS/Medicare comes from their check and that is wrong!

I think if more people understood the costs a business owner has JUST to do business and then with Obama especially figuring out ways to bankrupt businesses maybe more people would consider Obama as a job destroyer!

Indeed, as well as health insurance and 401k match etc.
Our full hourly cost is wages plus 30%....so if a person make $26 per hour - they actually cost the business $33.80 per hour.
Having said this, our company stopped giving pensions out in 2009. There is already discussions about removing health insurance if Obamacare goes into full effect...as well a whole lot of companies.

Exactly! The employer FICA contributions are part of the employee's total compensation package - and the employer knows that up front and factors it in when hiring.

Forum List

Back