Culture Wars: Geert Wilders vs. Deepak Chopra

catzmeow

Gold Member
Aug 14, 2008
Gunshine State
Polar opposites, and religion is the common thread that puts them on opposing sides

Geert Wilders: "Our culture is better than yours."

Geert Wilders: 'Our Culture Is Better' - WSJ.com

Having his own party liberates Mr. Wilders to speak his mind. As he sees it, the West suffers from an excess of toleration for those who do not share its tradition of tolerance. "We believe that -- 'we' means the political elite -- that all cultures are equal," he says. "I believe this is the biggest disease today facing Europe. . . . We should wake up and tell ourselves: You're not a xenophobe, you're not a racist, you're not a crazy guy if you say, 'My culture is better than yours.' A culture based on Christianity, Judaism, humanism is better. Look at how we treat women, look at how we treat apostates, look at how we go with the separation of church and state. I can give you 500 examples why our culture is better."

He acknowledges that "the majority of Muslims in Europe and America are not terrorists or violent people." But he says "it really doesn't matter that much, because if you don't define your own culture as the best, dominant one, and you allow through immigration people from those countries to come in, at the end of the day you will lose your own identity and your own culture, and your society will change. And our freedom will change -- all the freedoms we have will change."

And, in the other corner, Deepak Chopra, who tells us that the terror attacks by Islamists in Mumbai were America's fault.
Deepak Blames America - WSJ.com
In his CNN interview, he was no less clear. What happened in Mumbai, he told the interviewer, was a product of the U.S. war on terrorism, that "our policies, our foreign policies" had alienated the Muslim population, that we had "gone after the wrong people" and inflamed moderates. And "that inflammation then gets organized and appears as this disaster in Bombay."

So, tell me. How does a modern world respond to a religion still mired in cultural barbarism?

Forum List

Back